E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW Performance Short Shifter Kit Problem

07-23-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
A///MG_Power
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carefully.

BMW Performance Short Shifter Kit Problem

Hi all,

I just got my SSK installed on my e90 330i ZSP at the dealership today and it seems off center as when I am shifting into first, third or fifth I am crushing my fingers into the top of my trim (I have larger fingers, but not huge fingers). The shift knob is also damaging the alcantara boot when shifting into third and fifth. There are now scratches. Is this normal?

I know many of you have the SSK on their e90 330i's and was wondering what you guys think. I got it installed at the dealership because I thought it would be installed properly, but I could be wrong. I searched the forum for pics of BMW Performance SSK's and mine looks off center.

Thanks in advance,
Greg
      07-23-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive Estoril Blue

Garage List
I have this kit in my 330i.

The shifter rod is installed upside down...or should I say...it needs to be rotated 180deg. They should of tried it out (installing it both ways to determin the correct neutral position) before fastening the c-clip and buttoning everything up.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to put it back up on the hoist to resolve this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A///MG_Power View Post
Hi all,

I just got my SSK installed on my e90 330i ZSP at the dealership today and it seems off center as when I am shifting into first, third or fifth I am crushing my fingers into the top of my trim (I have larger fingers, but not huge fingers). The shift knob is also damaging the alcantara boot when shifting into third and fifth. There are now scratches. Is this normal?

I know many of you have the SSK on their e90 330i's and was wondering what you guys think. I got it installed at the dealership because I thought it would be installed properly, but I could be wrong. I searched the forum for pics of BMW Performance SSK's and mine looks off center.

Thanks in advance,
Greg
BMS PBX/full OEM M-Tech/Perf SSK/Perf strut bar/Perf exhaust/Perf steering wheel/Perf CF trunk spoiler/Perf Handbrake lever/AFe Stage 2 intake/Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors all around/Powerstop Carbon Ceramic pads/M3 front Control Arms/SS brake lines/Koni Yellows/H&R sport springs/Pilot Super Sports all around/PIAA angel eyes/matte black grills/CF splitters/20% tints all-around
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
A///MG_Power
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB6UB9ok View Post
I have this kit in my 330i.

The shifter rod is installed upside down...or should I say...it needs to be rotated 180deg. They should of tried it out (installing it both ways to determin the correct neutral position) before fastening the c-clip and buttoning everything up.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to put it back up on the hoist to resolve this problem.
Thanks! That sounds about right. I will have them do whatever it takes to get it right because I ended up paying an arm and a leg for it!
      07-23-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive Estoril Blue

Garage List
No prob. I hope things work out soon. Once it does, you'll love this kit...shifts are crisper and direct. You also won't feel like you're rowing a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by A///MG_Power View Post
Thanks! That sounds about right. I will have them do whatever it takes to get it right because I ended up paying an arm and a leg for it!
BMS PBX/full OEM M-Tech/Perf SSK/Perf strut bar/Perf exhaust/Perf steering wheel/Perf CF trunk spoiler/Perf Handbrake lever/AFe Stage 2 intake/Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors all around/Powerstop Carbon Ceramic pads/M3 front Control Arms/SS brake lines/Koni Yellows/H&R sport springs/Pilot Super Sports all around/PIAA angel eyes/matte black grills/CF splitters/20% tints all-around
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

Greg, didn't know you had the SSK?
SSK FTW!

IB6UB9ok is correct.
that's a dealer fail.
Greg, LongTran is down the street???
you got the mod father at your disposal.
      07-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
I just order an SSK from my dealer.

What did you guys pay for it whether it was from the dealer or Tischer, etc..?

What was the installation cost?
      07-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
sirantsE90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N51 E90

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW View Post

install it yourself. it took and friend and i 15 min from jacking the car up to letting it down. there is a great DIY!!
      07-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
A///MG_Power
Captain
United_States
Rep

Frank- def going to see long nexttime. i just didn't have time this week to drive all the way out there. i started volunteering at UCLA medical center.

so i brought it to the dealer this morning to fix the neutral position alignment and to put the shifter rod back in right side up.

after about an hour and a half (God knows why this took 1.5 hr), i get it back and everything seems fine.

i drive halfway home and my shift knob comes right off! i look inside the shift knob and it's completely cracked and destroyed. shady!

the situation is kind of sticky because the service manager is a friend of mine and hooked me up a bit, so i can't complain too much..

but im pretty steamed that i have to wait until next wednesday for another shift knob and use this broke one that comes off really easily when shifted

on the brighter side, performance pedals, performance handbrake and performance steering wheel are now in
      07-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
A///MG_Power
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW View Post

i recommend doing it yourself because from what i've read, it's pretty easy. although if you have a 335, then there's an extra shifter arm i believe.

i was very disappointed with my dealer and would not use them to install any of my parts anymore because you can install BMW performance parts (not requiring software) at other shops and still retain your warranty.

i couldn't tell you the exact cost of my install because i got a number of parts and service done, but i have the official install guide from bmw and it does state that the car needs to be updated to the most recent flash setting. however, depending if your car has been updated already, this probably won't cause more labor time. the SSK should be only an hour of labor or two at most to install just the SSK only.

hope this helps.