BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 128i Sport /w PDC and ComAcc

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Unhappy Investing to much?

At times I feel I am investing WAY to much time into this car. I don't mean maint or actual driving. I mean in the research of parts and RnD. At times I get depressed because I want to do more with my car so I invest SOOOOO much time into reading. I feel I have become an addict but in a bad way. Maybe I did things too fast. I bought the 128i on impulse. I knew I wanted a BWM but mainly because I was going to Germany and would be able to get it for cheap being in the military.

Perhaps I should just stop with the mods once my exhaust comes in. The only thing is the tune. I have researched that more than anything. Obviously wintertuning or ds-motor because of the sick gains. I feel like I NEED the tune. I keep going back an forth...

I need some major words of wisdom for this little 23 year old.
Black Badge - Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 18" - ASA AR1 18" - B&M Short Shifter - aFe Stage 2 CAI Pro 5 R - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Performance Pedal Kit - CDV delete - Custom Tint - Bastuck Exhaust w/o Silencer - Custom Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

go out and just drive it, have fun.
You are driving the driving ultimate machine that is modding needless.
One thing I would recommend is.... get M steering wheel.
my M3 steering wheel is speechless
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
25 y/o here with a 125 (128).

Drive it for the love of it, seriously. I've considered exhaust upgrades and am currently looking to see if there are any pulley upgrades for the N52/N54/N55, but alas nothing.

The car drives pretty damn well at stock, and i keep reminding myself of that and smiling.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

this car is already good enough for daily driving, no need
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

I'm also 25 y/o. I started with the mod beginning of 2009 and stopped the mod by the end of 2009. I was just like you spending so much time researching on the 1er until i found out this is not right. With so less aftermarket supports I see the limitation of the 128i and this is not a fun-to-mod car. So now I'm saving my $ for sth else. Don't get me wrong, the 128i is a very good car, plenty fast, good looking and fun to drive. I just need a sportier driving machine that's all.

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Thanks peeps. You all rock. That's some awesome 1er support.
Black Badge - Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 18" - ASA AR1 18" - B&M Short Shifter - aFe Stage 2 CAI Pro 5 R - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Performance Pedal Kit - CDV delete - Custom Tint - Bastuck Exhaust w/o Silencer - Custom Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

the 128i is an amazing car. I am 19 years old and all my work money goes to just making the payments for the 128i, so I am already uber happy about it. Like you said, the only 1 small bad thing about it is the power. But honestly, if the chip/tune was more accessible to us in the USA. I would just do the tune to 270 hp, maybe a CAI or exhaust, and call it a day. The car has amazing handling, and is just overall an amazing car!
      07-28-2010, 12:55 AM   #8
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Thank you buddy. Yea I love the car as well. I just get so many real life trolls saying "you should have gotten the 135i". SHUT UP ALREADY. =P

I like working on my car. I have only done a couple things and it was frustrating because that’s the nature of maintenance but it’s also fun. If I compare this cars difficulty of maintenance to the 4 different jets I’ve worked the BMW is pretty easy

The exhaust will be fun when I get that in the mail and as a whole the car will look sick. The nice thing is that it always has. I am just making it my own. I think I may still get the tune.

I will also start driving more =P It is a lot of fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 08:22 AM   #9
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
I'm 25 as well. I started thinking about all the mods and things I could do to it, but I've settled on (and stopped at) my BMS Powerbox and my Injen intake. Powerbox makes the throttle really snappy, intake makes my engine growl.

At the end of the day, there will always be a faster car, a "better" car, a car with more bling or horsepower or that gets more attention. And at the end of the day, remember that these are depreciating assets (NOT investments) that will be gone in a few years.

You'll always want more, in life in general, but always appreciate what you have. The best car is the one you love to drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Yeah for motivational speakers.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM BWM 135iC

Stop doing ANY mods on your car for 3 months. Find another hobby/diversion. If in 3 months you still want to do that single mod, over all of the other places to save/spend your cash - do it.

People tend to spend in bunches. Retailers know this. Here's a cute joke.

Guy walks into Costco looking for a job. Says he wants commission, he's the worlds greatest salesman. Costco manager tells him that he doesn't pay commission, so the guy says that he'll work for free if he doesn't outsell everyone else in the store. Manager takes him up on the offer.

End of the day the manager asks him how many customers he had. Guy says just one. The manager looks disappointed, says that most people see 30-50 customers a shift. Manager asks 'how much did you sell' - guy says $110,000. The manager's jaw drops to the floor.

The guy tells him that it all started with a guy that came in looking for Kotex for his wife. From there he sold him a fishing rod, bait, tackle box, then a boat, trailer and a Suburban.

The manager says, "you mean to tell me that you took someone that came in for Kotex and sold him all that. What did you say to him?"

"Not much", he replies. "I told him that from the looks of it his weekend was shot, so he might as well go fishing."
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
LOL NICE. I love jokes.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 02:08 AM   #13
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by michifan View Post
Stop doing ANY mods on your car for 3 months. Find another hobby/diversion. If in 3 months you still want to do that single mod, over all of the other places to save/spend your cash - do it.
This is good advice. Way too easy to get wrapped around the axle with modding, and end up spending way more than is reasonable.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, even though we're all just aliases on a forum, we each are in different stages of life with different incomes. If you're 23 years old and you spend every spare dollar on your car payment and insurance: A) you're already in over your head & B) don't expect to keep up with the 45 year old lawyer or executive who keeps his 135i as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle and has made it a dedicated track car. At some point, you've got to learn to accept the financial reality of your own particular situation.
      07-30-2010, 05:52 AM   #14
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

my problem nowadays is similar too; I got new suspension in and I am killing my eyes with math and physics equations to understand the nature of highspeed/lowspeed bump and compression, overall suspension tuning. Not the basics but more like advanced stuff.... oh and I started to drive like a maniac not fast but always in the corners I am trying to test the setting i change previous night.. A ticket is in my future.
      08-02-2010, 03:48 AM   #15
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
This is good advice. Way too easy to get wrapped around the axle with modding, and end up spending way more than is reasonable.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, even though we're all just aliases on a forum, we each are in different stages of life with different incomes. If you're 23 years old and you spend every spare dollar on your car payment and insurance: A) you're already in over your head & B) don't expect to keep up with the 45 year old lawyer or executive who keeps his 135i as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle and has made it a dedicated track car. At some point, you've got to learn to accept the financial reality of your own particular situation.
Sad but true. I am good with money i.e. a decent savings and a retirement fund started then stopped a few months later because I'm separating from the military in over a year. I'll be going back to school with the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I also just got married. Being married though we have more income so going back to school won't be as bad as if I had to do it all on my own. I thought the tune could be my last mod. She was thinking the same as me so I'm happy. It will be under 4K in mod. I got a lot of mods so I'm happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
my problem nowadays is similar too; I got new suspension in and I am killing my eyes with math and physics equations to understand the nature of highspeed/lowspeed bump and compression, overall suspension tuning. Not the basics but more like advanced stuff.... oh and I started to drive like a maniac not fast but always in the corners I am trying to test the setting i change previous night.. A ticket is in my future.
I was thinking about a suspension but really I don't want it yet. I don't track my car much and my sports suspension is great for the time being. After saving a little more I will most likely go with beautification mods until they come up with a tested, reviewed and safe SC or TC.
Appreciate 0