E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Are you Sirius?!?

05-02-2005, 10:32 PM   #1
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Passat, '09 Cayman S

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
Are you Sirius?!?

Okay. Just out of curiosity, who's getting Sirius in their E90?

I'm leaning against it. I'd looked at the programming a while back, and I wasn't really interested in it. Maybe, it's got some more stuff that I hadn't seen, but I wasn't really that into it. I'd be interested in XM Music Lab, though. However, with less and less classical music and jazz on the free airwaves, I might be persuaded.

Last edited by roburado; 05-02-2005 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 10:48 PM   #2
soon2be90
Private
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i Sport

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Just the prep $75.00 will add unit later. Had a two week loaner car with it, and sports talk 24 hrs a day is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 10:48 PM   #3
Nu 3 in Sin City
Driver of the Ultimate Driving Machine
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

I am getting Sirius on mine. I had XM in a previous vehicle and now I know what I have been missing. It comes in handy if the choices of radio stations in your local area are not too good. It also is nice to have if you do a lot of road trips. The good news is.....both XM and Sirius are improving the quality of their digitally compressed audio feeds, so allot of the complaints that people had previously have either been resolved or corrected to the point that they are not much an issue. It's still not 100 % CD quality audio, but it is light years ahead of tradional AM/FM radio in regards to audio quality.

It would be interesting to see if BMW incorporates HD Radio into future vehicles. HD radio is the latest thing to come out and looks promising. Basically, HD radio is used on traditional AM and FM radio frequencies, but instead of an analog signal, it is digitally compressed. This signal format virtually eliminates signal degradation such as multipath and other various forms of interference. Audio quality is said to be comparable to CD.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2005, 11:37 PM   #4
EVO_S4
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW  [8.24]
I got the XM in my wife S4 and dont really care for Sat radio so none for me
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 02:26 PM   #5
rag21
lets drink
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325i

I have sat prep on my car.

I will definately be getting the radio installed in a month or so...

getting ready for Howard!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 03:54 PM   #6
nostrum09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu 3 in Sin City
I am getting Sirius on mine. I had XM in a previous vehicle and now I know what I have been missing. It comes in handy if the choices of radio stations in your local area are not too good. It also is nice to have if you do a lot of road trips. The good news is.....both XM and Sirius are improving the quality of their digitally compressed audio feeds, so allot of the complaints that people had previously have either been resolved or corrected to the point that they are not much an issue. It's still not 100 % CD quality audio, but it is light years ahead of tradional AM/FM radio in regards to audio quality.

It would be interesting to see if BMW incorporates HD Radio into future vehicles. HD radio is the latest thing to come out and looks promising. Basically, HD radio is used on traditional AM and FM radio frequencies, but instead of an analog signal, it is digitally compressed. This signal format virtually eliminates signal degradation such as multipath and other various forms of interference. Audio quality is said to be comparable to CD.
BMW is offering HD as an option on the 7 series already (maybe on the 5 and 6 too), but I'm not sure if it's a delayed availability option. I have to wonder if HD radio will be like the SACD. A good idea, but too late to market. Satellite radio offers nearly the same quality (as HD) and A LOT more music than traditional radio ever will (and who needs talk to be in HD). I guess it would be good for those who want better sounding [conventional] radio w/o paying monthly fees.

Anyway, I ordered Sirius for my E90

I don't have a portable MP3 player, so its either CDs or radio for me, and I'm getting bored of the CDs I've bothered to put in my car

Plus, I'm not aware of any radio station (New York market) which plays my favorite music... techno/dance/trance, etc. KTU comes closest, but only on certain nights, and even then...

At let us not forget Howard Stern
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 04:03 PM   #7
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

I've always thought MP3s would be more than enough...but guess not! A single 800 MB CD can hold what, ~150-200 songs? That's at least 7 hours of music!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Isn't SACD quality sound wasted on car audio? No matter how good the speaker setup there's always road noise interference.

I got the Sirius for Howard - mindless drivel, but it keeps me laughing on the way to work in the mornings. That in itself is worth the subscription in my mindless world. The selection of rock is pretty impressive. Classical and Jazz have limited channels. Sports is pretty darn good.

Quality is good, although it sometimes cuts out when going under an underpass and the SAT loses connection. Not as good as the CD.

As per Squawk's post, the MP3 Ipod connection is sufficient that I opted out on the 6 CD changer in the trunk.
      10-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #9
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I have sirius, i didnt really want it, but it came with the car i ordered.
To tell you the truth, i hardly ever use it.. Probably cause 1)always listening to cds, 2) use my ipod nano, 3)Im lucky i dont kill myself seraching for songs, let alone categories..etc.
      10-06-2005, 04:46 PM   #10
Scott Carpenter
BMW Employee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

Garage List
I have it and love it. i riped out the stock radio in my esclade to have it
Appreciate 0