ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - California
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Bay Area Test Drive?

Is there anyone in the South Bay Area available for me to compare my newly acquired Z4MC with? I just picked up the car last Friday and during my test drive I hadn't noticed the whine coming from the engine bay. It happens whenever I'm near the resistance point (just prior to entering Reverse gear). Pretty much if I'm hovering around 1st gear, there'll be a high-pitched metallic whining sound. It goes away as I move the shifter farther from said resistance point, but in Reverse gear, the sound won't go away unless I take the shifter out of the Reverse gate. It's kind of a difficult and stubborn issue to explain in words. I can definitely duplicate the problem in person though.
As of right now, I'm worried that the previous owner might've abused the transmission and perhaps broken the synchro's? That might be far-fetched but it's all I can think of right now, because the shifter also vibrates seemingly excessively--especially for a BMW M car with this kind of mileage.
My car is an '07 with just over 19k miles at the moment, with factory warranty until April 2011. It was originally a leased car, with one prior owner in the state of Arizona. My local dealer purchased the car from an auction and I happened to find the car on their lot. Purchased it for a decent price; though without knowing that there may be tranny-related issues
The car is currently at the dealer being serviced since I didn't know its service history and I wanted some preventative maintenance done just in case, and also to address the transmission woes.
If you could help me out by letting me take your car for a spin (should only take like 10-15 minutes tops), it'd be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by mfanatic325; 08-03-2010 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

The dealer was able to replicate the whining sound and think it's some kind of "cup" on the bottom of the shifter? Any idea what this could be? They claim that it may be the cause of the noise and inherent vibrations/grinding. Hope they can fix it
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Never mind. No need for test drive anymore. The dealer was able to fix everything, hooray for factory warranty!

If you're in the South Bay Area, I can recommend Mountain View BMW for factory warranty-related services. The dealership portion though, not highly recommended. They just have some nice inventory sometimes, that's about it =P
Appreciate 0