2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum One week to go to PDC for my 535 !!!

08-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
alex_c
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 f10 535i

One week to go to PDC for my 535 !!!

Well, FINALLY the clock is ticking the last days before taking delivery of my new 535i at the Performance Delivery Center on 8/12/2010.

I had gone to the dealership early in June to take a look at the GT, and they just had received their first shipment of 2011 5 series. I wasn't too crazy about the GT's exterior, but I LOVED the new interior, and when I saw the new 5 inside and out, I fell in love with it.

I have had 4 BMW's before -along with every other german car- since 1992, and I thought that this was the best looking BMW I had seen. In fact, my last BMW was a 2008 3-series coupe since I just hated the look of the E60. Don't hate me, I just didn't like the extreme headlights and the back end.

On the other hand, I have always liked the nicely appointed interior of the 7, but thought that the size was too much for me... therefore when this new 5 came out, I thought that finally, this one was "just right".

I've always been very impatient when buying a new car, wanting to have it as soon as possible, and one way or another I was always able to find one that was at least 95% like I wanted somewhere, regardless of the distance, but this time I decided to order EXACTLY what I wanted, regardless of the wait... a loooooong wait. Almost exactly 2 months from the day I ordered it.

By the way, I test drove the car with all possible combinations (535,550, 528, Sports Package, ZDH, ZDH+2TB, etc.) and all types of roads (curves, 2-lane roads, interstate, hills, etc) and finally I decided to order this:

535i
Dark Graphite Metallic
Oyster/Black Dakota Leather
Anthracite wood
Premium
Premium 2
Sports
Sports Automatic (which includes the Normal/Sports/Sports+ toggle)
Active Ventilated Seats
Folding rear seats
Anthracite headliner
Smartphone integration
Clear Bra

By the way, thanks to all of your posts I was able to get the exact options I wanted and got a fairly decent price.

I have never done the Performance Center delivery, so I'm really excited about it.

I'll post some pics as soon as I get it!!!

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
RC3
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 528i

Garage List
2011 F10 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
Well, FINALLY the clock is ticking the last days before taking delivery of my new 535i at the Performance Delivery Center on 8/12/2010.

I had gone to the dealership early in June to take a look at the GT, and they just had received their first shipment of 2011 5 series. I wasn't too crazy about the GT's exterior, but I LOVED the new interior, and when I saw the new 5 inside and out, I fell in love with it.

I have had 4 BMW's before -along with every other german car- since 1992, and I thought that this was the best looking BMW I had seen. In fact, my last BMW was a 2008 3-series coupe since I just hated the look of the E60. Don't hate me, I just didn't like the extreme headlights and the back end.

On the other hand, I have always liked the nicely appointed interior of the 7, but thought that the size was too much for me... therefore when this new 5 came out, I thought that finally, this one was "just right".

I've always been very impatient when buying a new car, wanting to have it as soon as possible, and one way or another I was always able to find one that was at least 95% like I wanted somewhere, regardless of the distance, but this time I decided to order EXACTLY what I wanted, regardless of the wait... a loooooong wait. Almost exactly 2 months from the day I ordered it.

By the way, I test drove the car with all possible combinations (535,550, 528, Sports Package, ZDH, ZDH+2TB, etc.) and all types of roads (curves, 2-lane roads, interstate, hills, etc) and finally I decided to order this:

535i
Dark Graphite Metallic
Oyster/Black Dakota Leather
Anthracite wood
Premium
Premium 2
Sports
Sports Automatic (which includes the Normal/Sports/Sports+ toggle)
Active Ventilated Seats
Folding rear seats
Anthracite headliner
Smartphone integration
Clear Bra

By the way, thanks to all of your posts I was able to get the exact options I wanted and got a fairly decent price.

I have never done the Performance Center delivery, so I'm really excited about it.

I'll post some pics as soon as I get it!!!

You stated that you have clear bra as one of your options. Is that offered by your dealer? We don't have this option in Asia.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Hi, why did you select the 535 and not the 528? and why not the dynamic handling package ZDH? and what's clear BRA?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
alex_c
Private
Rep

RC3, you can order the clear bra as a dealer-installed option in the US. It will be installed at the PDC and ready for the drive back to Houston.

bm323, To be 100% honest, the 528 became available almost 1 month after I had ordered my 535 and if it had been available earlier, I may have had a hard time deciding which to get. The 528 was quite good. I did not get the ZDH because the adjustments provided by the 2TB (normal/sport/sport+) was way more than fun enough. I think that some of the extreme views by some members regarding the "horrible" standard suspension are a little over-rated for 95% of the drivers. I think that this vehicle's ride is quite luxurious, with more than enough sports feeling for the great majority of drivers. It is way better than MB's E series, or Audi's A6. It is clearly not a go-kart, but if I wanted a go-kart I wouldn't buy a 5 series in the first place.

All things considered, I think that this car has the perfect balance between sports and luxury.

Last edited by alex_c; 08-05-2010 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
kjando
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 545i

Alex C

Where do you find TB2 listed? My understanding from the dealer is that you need to order the ZDH in order to get the adjustable shift in performance from comfort, normal, sport and sport +. He also told me that the Performance Package does not have the adjustable settings. I am confused because I did see the switch on a 550 that did not list the ZDH on the sticker although it did have the Performance Package listed on the sticker.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
alex_c
Private
Rep

Sorry, the option name is 2TB, and it is the Sport Automatic Transmission. When you add 2TB (ZSP Sports Package required) it also adds the Dynamic Driving Control toggle switch, which enables you to select among NORMAL/SPORT/SPORT+. If you also have ZDH (Dynamic Handling Package), then the toggle switch adds COMFORT mode.

I have tested the basic 2TB setting changing from NORMAL to SPORT, and you can clearly feel the difference in ride stiffness, along with the sportier transmission and stiffer steering feel. As a matter of fact, when you select SPORT, the iDrive lets you select if you want to alter the TRANSMISSION, the CHASSIS, or both. Why would it let you select CHASSIS if it will not do anything??? Why not just dissable the option if you don't have ZDH???.

According to a BMW tech at the dealership (not a sales guy, but a tech) he said that there is magnetic fluid in the shock absorbers which can vary the feel electronically. This is the most basic type of electronic damping. The full electronic damping option adds on-the-fly adjustment depending on road conditions. I can't vouch for this explanation, but it sounded logical, and I'm sure I felt the car completely different riding on NORMAL vs riding on SPORTS. Other people have confirmed this on other posts.

I'l make sure to post some scientific measurement of the ride as soon as I get the car... in 5 days!!!

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 01:34 AM   #7
kjando
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 545i

2TB

Alex C

Thanks for the clarification on the 2TB option. It seems to me that if you go for the ZSP package that it would be silly not to opt for the 2TB option for an additional $500 and it appears from your posting that the 2TB provides the adjustable damping between normal, sport and sport +. It appears that the only difference between the 2TB option and the ZDH option is that with the latter you get the instantanous "real time" adjustment of the damping of the shocks whereas the 2TB provides only a static adjustment. Strange that the description of the 2TP option in the price list does not indicate that adjustable damping is included. The description of 2TB suggests that all you are getting is the steering mounted paddle shift for the automatic. Are you positive that the the 2TB option includes the adjustable damping? One BMW sales person told me that the adjustable damping only came with the ZDH option.

I look forward to your detailed review of your new 535
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 01:52 AM   #8
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
I have tested the basic 2TB setting changing from NORMAL to SPORT, and you can clearly feel the difference in ride stiffness, along with the sportier transmission and stiffer steering feel. As a matter of fact, when you select SPORT, the iDrive lets you select if you want to alter the TRANSMISSION, the CHASSIS, or both. Why would it let you select CHASSIS if it will not do anything??? Why not just dissable the option if you don't have ZDH???.
I was told that the software may be there but not the hardware, but yes pls do check and let us know.

When in sport mode, can you pls compare the drive with the chassis ticked against the chassis not ticked? This may show whether the chassis is indeed stiffened. In both cases, try with the drivetrain off against drive train on.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
alex_c
Private
Rep

bm323, you can find the full answer to your question on my new thread:REAL answer to ZDH (Dynamic Handling Package) vs 2TB (Sport Automatic)

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...86#post7786186

I hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
alex_c
Private
Rep

According to the online tracking system, my vehicle is now at the PCD!!!

And 4 days to go...
Appreciate 0