E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > 35$ for a loaner & off topic furnished suite rental scam

08-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
homydevil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i cabriolet

35$ for a loaner & off topic furnished suite rental scam

The loan-er arranger told me that my credit car will be charged 35$ for a loaner with 100km/day and also withhold 100$ for incidentals. I told him that I understand the incidentals but I have never been made aware of this 35$ charge, to which he replied that they charge that amount for loaners, with a disgusted face and a condescending demeanor. It was clearly a seen out of a western, the only thing missing was a cowboy hat and gun!
I referred back to my SA and he told the lone ranger not to charge me the 35 cuz i was a return customer, meaning returning for warranty issues.

What is ontario coming to? no consumer rights wtf so ever. Where ever u go these days, u get pushed & shoved! taken your money and go sue me attitude all around. And the irony is that the laws are there to protect the crooks!
Which reminds me to warn all you out there regarding this furnished rental scam that I was subjected to a few months ago and lost over 3k and couldn't do anything cuz I signed the damn contract! went to the cop detective and the legal council at the tribuneral and it turns out that this 60ish year old guy runnning this scam right in the heart of Mississauga with 18 or so visiting families from abroad and all of them had filed complains about this guy and yet they cant do anything cuz he had found a legal loop hole, being that under 6 months rental doesnt fall in the jurisdiction of the tribuneral and the detective said that it is a contract between 2 people and so out of their jurisdiction
The crook runs free under everyones noses and is doing it today ever more by continuing on ads on kajiji and other rental sites with different adds.
Briefly the scam goes like this.... pay upfront securinty deposit 1200 or so and pay for the months rent 1800 or so by money order ......provide a credit card for incidentals ..... move in after signing a bogus fine print contract which says routine agreement between leaser and lesse......2 to 3 days after u move in he starts charging you 35 per nite for the parking and 45 per nite for internet and other charges such as 50 a nite for 1 extra occupent ( being your wife)and further charges as claning ..so on and on..... this is all writen in the fine print in the contract but he says everythign is included..... he has maxed out ppls credit cards at 18000 dollors and the poor guy went begging to the police only to be told that they cant do ANYTHING!
So watch out when you sign any contract...... If my experiance saves a single soul...........I'll feel glad!
      08-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
DnA Diesel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335d Sport SGrey/Blk/Blk

A verbal contract between he and you regarding "everything is included" is just as valid a contract as a written one. Take him to small claims court, that's where to make the case that he misrepresented himself. Small claims courst is 'easy peasy'...Sheppard Ave, one block east of Yonge...well worth the drive and the $75 filing fee.
      08-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

carry a gun
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
m-technik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335, E36 Ti, Porsche 986

The rental rules in bc dictate that all signed rental agreements, no matter what length of term must be an approved residential tenancy board document to be valid. Signing of some random document that's not even written by, approved or signed by a lawyer is not legally valid in the eyes of the court, especially when it takes advantage of the tenant in this way. I would definitely persue this in court if I were you. I deal with rentals all the time through my line of work and I've never seen a case in which a landlord can legally take advantage of a tenant in such a way. I couldn't imagine Ontario rental laws being all that different.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
NOWIS
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnA Diesel View Post
A verbal contract between he and you regarding "everything is included" is just as valid a contract as a written one. Take him to small claims court, that's where to make the case that he misrepresented himself. Small claims courst is 'easy peasy'...Sheppard Ave, one block east of Yonge...well worth the drive and the $75 filing fee.
x2

It's an unjust contract, and nobody in their right minds would have signed up for that.

He misrepresented the contract, and orally misrepresented the facts.

It is clearly fraudulent in nature - even if you did sign a contract you didn't read.

The judges (normally a deputy judge in small claims court) don't really tend to follow the letter of the law, rather they tend to support the 'little guy', and crack down on big corporations and scammers.

The harder part will be actually getting the money out of him...
Appreciate 0