E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Need Recommendations for a Socal SA who won't rip me off

01-04-2007, 01:33 AM   #1
DrivesOnPotholes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Need Recommendations for a Socal SA who won't rip me off

I post this in the alarm DIY forum after I installed the OEM alarm. If you guys, know of any dealers who won't rob me, let me know .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vAnt826
E92 guys.

We're lucky.

I'm doing the install as we speak (for two E92s) and we are just slightly different.

We don't need a prying tool, spatuala, etc. to remove the rear dome. Just use your fingers and it literally pops off with very little force (In fact too little, makes me scared that it can just fall off during a hard bump. Easy to remove on two different E92s). No one mentioned it to me but that plug to take out of the rear dome plug holder is a BITCH!

We do not need to remove that brake resoirvor cover, it's already been taken out and lined up to that star pattern screw in hole. Make sure not to try and take the plug out of the actual hood switch, but the plug on the connector on the car. I tried and unfortunetely succeeded taking out the actual hood switch plug and it was a big mistake.

I'm still trying to install the siren, need to figure out how to jack up the car safely.
Apparently we're very UNLUCKY. I agree the installation on my 335i was more simple (took me bout 20 minutes). My clown nose blinks, but of course the panic, motion, hood etc. doesn't work.

However, my dealer wants $180 for the activation! I told them a member paid only $50 for their activation and the SA tells me that the 335i is more complicated (its iDrive is based on the current 5-series and 7-series) than the previous E90s and requires two hours for a software download. That's highway robbery! It's not like the tech has to stare at my car for two hours during the download!

Just out of principle I can't bring myself to pay someone for two hours of labor to stare at a computer screen while a software is being downloaded.

Any recommendations on more sensible dealers in Socal or anywhere else (I could use the vacation ) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
      01-04-2007, 02:56 AM   #2
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Call around, find a dealer who will program for free under warranty. I read a bulleting which suggested that it was possible... in MY opinion, you should get free software, and pay the add'l half hour labor for the subsequent activation. This amounts, at Center BMW, to you paying about $60.

Call Center, where I work. 1-818-907-9995.

Ask for the service manager, Chris Previtire.

You can tell him or NOT tell him you've spoken to me, I don't care (I'm Matt, the technician). DO NOT, however, tell him I promised you a free/cheap programming, as I am NOT promising that!

Tell him you heard that software updates are covered under warranty, and that if he'll program the car for free, you're willing to pay for the alarm activation portion. Se what he says?

In the mean time, I will look for the bulletin I read which suggested that programming should be free.

Please note:

Programming and activation are two seperate actions, but you CAN'T activate the alarm without programming.

And the 335 does not have a special i-drive which requires more programming. he's messing with you.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2007, 03:01 AM   #3
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Found it.
SI B 01 09 06
Warranty November 2006
Warranty

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B01 09 06 dated October 2006.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Defect Code for Programming Prior to Accessory Retrofit

MODEL
All

GENERAL INFORMATION
Software update programming is sometimes required as part of an electronic accessory installation. When connecting to Progman to perform "Retrofit Coding", the Status Report will indicate if a software update is required. This software update must be performed before the "Retrofit coding" can be carried out.

A software update to prepare the vehicle for the "Retrofit Coding" of an accessory is covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty and must be claimed using defect code 72 60 93 02 00.

Any other Progman programming and recoding of the vehicle software specifically associated with the installation of the accessory should be included in the customer pay installation charge. See Parts Information Bulletin 65 12 04.

For additional information concerning warranty claims for software update programming (Progman), refer to SI B01 03 06.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
The software update and any control module replacement required to prepare the vehicle for the "Retrofit Coding" of the accessory is covered under the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty. All control modules must be identified by the Measures Plan or Status Report created by Progman.

The "Retrofit Coding" of the vehicle software specifically associated with the installation of the accessory is included in the customer pay installation charge. See Aftersales Bulletin 65 09 06.

Software update that is performed as a result of an accessory retrofit:

Defect Code
72 60 93 02 00

Refer to the latest KSD version for appropriate labor allowances.

The warranty claim must include in the "Comments" section a clear reason for the programming work for example, "Software update for satellite radio retrofit".

All claims must be supported by copies of the Measures Plan and Final Reports produced at each stage of the programming process. These documents are to be printed and attached to the customers work order.

[ Copyright © 2006 BMW of North America, LLC ]
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
DrivesOnPotholes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt
Call around, find a dealer who will program for free under warranty. I read a bulleting which suggested that it was possible... in MY opinion, you should get free software, and pay the add'l half hour labor for the subsequent activation. This amounts, at Center BMW, to you paying about $60.

Call Center, where I work. 1-818-907-9995.

Ask for the service manager, Chris Previtire.

You can tell him or NOT tell him you've spoken to me, I don't care (I'm Matt, the technician). DO NOT, however, tell him I promised you a free/cheap programming, as I am NOT promising that!

Tell him you heard that software updates are covered under warranty, and that if he'll program the car for free, you're willing to pay for the alarm activation portion. Se what he says?

In the mean time, I will look for the bulletin I read which suggested that programming should be free.

Please note:

Programming and activation are two seperate actions, but you CAN'T activate the alarm without programming.

And the 335 does not have a special i-drive which requires more programming. he's messing with you.
D00d! Thanks