2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding BMW Nav Question

08-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Raptor04
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

BMW Nav Question

What NAV setting (Fastest route, shortest route, efficient route) do you find is the best? I used my Nav today for the 1st time using an address that I sent to my car from google maps using MyInfo. Only problem is that the Nav routed me the longest way possible. Luckily, I knew the shorter route and went that way. When I did that, then the Nav adjusted and showed the shorter arrival time. However, had I not known the shorter way, then my Nav would have routed me a ridiculously long way adding 1 hour to my trip. FYI...I was using the efficient route setting. Not sure if the problem was the address from Google maps, or the Nav setting, or just the way the NAV routes, but I would hate to be in an unfamiliar area where I don't know the way and be routed on the longest way possible w/out knowing any better.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

If you drive in traffic, then select shortest way, otherwise fastest. Actaully new navigation can figure out traffic condition and optimize your route to be fsatest all time.
      08-15-2010, 12:57 AM   #3
mercury
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Garage List
I've been using "efficient route" and find that it maps best to what I think makes sense for known routes. Also comparing the Nav between my old 335i and the 535i, efficient seems to be about the same. Not sure the traffic optimization has been working that great, but I have low expectations on that front :-)
Appreciate 0