2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Electric folding mirrors

08-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Electric folding mirrors

My garage has quite a narrow door opening and my forthcoming 535d will be an extremely tight fit with the mirrors unfolded.
I would like to be able to reverse partly in, fold the mirrors to get past the door frame, then unfold the mirrors and continue reversing fully into the garage.
However, I am unsure whether the car will move with the mirrors folded; can anyone tell me if this is possible before I order the option?
Yes, I know there's the rear camera option, but I've tried it and don't think it's all that great.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Grizzles
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M

they open up at 25 mph

Last edited by Grizzles; 08-17-2010 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
CJ 43
Rep
Drives: F10

I think you'll be OK to do that, though one thing to be aware of is that there is the automatic kerb view if the mirror adjust button is set to the drivers mirror. This automatically lowers the passenger side mirror when you stick in reverse. I haven't had a need to try yet but not sure if (as the other poster has pointed out above), also means your mirrors are unfolded as well. It might be just as well to stick the button to the passenger mirror when reversing into your garage and then retract as you like without the worry of the automatic features kicking in...

BTW & apologies if its teaching you to suck eggs, you should be wary of the auto feature when driving off because that might damage your mirrors as they unfold. I am of course assuming that someone else may drive it out of your garage from time to time who won't be aware of these things (and said persons generally can't be bothered being made aware of such things...).
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
ddd269
Private
Chile
Rep
Drives: F10 528iA Silver

Worst case scenario... if you accidentally forget to unfold the mirrors and you hit it, it will fold with minimum force and probably won't damage it. Maybe a scratch but the mirror will fold regardless if it has the motorized fold or not. It's got a spring loaded detent.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd269 View Post
Worst case scenario... if you accidentally forget to unfold the mirrors and you hit it, it will fold with minimum force and probably won't damage it. Maybe a scratch but the mirror will fold regardless if it has the motorized fold or not. It's got a spring loaded detent.
Yes, I'm aware that they're spring loaded, but as the gouges on my E92 LH mirror attest, it doesn't take much to damage them
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
Raptor04
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

i do this all the time....i start to back out, then fold the mirrors to get past the narrow opening, then unfold after i get out of the garage....tooo easy....and it doesn't matter if the left mirror is selected when backing out, the car will adjust the glass down like normal, but it doesn't matter if the mirror housing is folded or unfolded...there is no damage
Appreciate 0