E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > My car carpet smells when its humid

08-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Venom01
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 08

My car carpet smells when its humid

Hi Everyone,

Okay so here is the story, when I first bought my car I shampooed the carpet myself with the rug doctor from rona. Turns out that it left this lasting smell. I had it detailed by a friend of my mechanics but when it's humid it comes back.

I've tried spreading baking soda on the carpet, leaving it for a few nights and then vaccuming it back up..It didn't work

Do you have any other suggestions or know of any places that can help me get rid of this smell.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

You have mildew - you can mask the smell but it will continue to come back until you remove it. Mildew grows, so it will only get worse. To remove it you have a couple options; a mildew remover or an extraction. The issue with mildew removers is most of them will stain or bleach carpets, so here is what I would do.

Get some white vinegar (seriously), but it 25/75 with distilled water. Get a wet/dry vac; soak a cloth in the solution, scrub carpet, remove with vac (remove until totally dry, do not leave even a little damp). Vinegar removes mildew, the problem is you probably have mildew deep in the carpet, so it can be tough to get at. When you're done put an ozone machine in the car (or use an aerosol). You can rent ozonators locally (google toronto ozonator rental)

Alternatively you can have the carpets extracted (you can diy with a rental, but this time you need to make sure the carpets are 100% dry when done). Or you can go to a pro; sadly I don't know any that will do full carpet extraction and are good in the gta.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Venom01
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 08

I'm thinking of getting it replaced.. lets see what quotes i get today.

I dont want to have to keep on doing this every year.. and the health risks associated.. forget it.
Appreciate 0