E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Water spot?

09-09-2005, 09:54 PM   #1
Luongo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera T

Water spot?

I have a black saphire 330i. Today, I washed the car with Dawn, wiped it down with a clay bar, dried the car with cotton towel, and then applied a coat of Zaino.
After the application, I noticed that there are multiple water spots on the hood. How can I get rid of them? I have tried soap and clay bar but the water spots seem to be permanantly etched on the surface. They are not visible unless you look at it from 1 inch away, but it still bothers me. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2005, 11:20 PM   #2
northcountry
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

I had the same water spot issue. It takes a few washings to get rid of them. Usual culprit is a lot of dissolved solids (minerals, salts etc in solution). I changed my plumbing to have soft water to my hose - no more spot problems. I occasionally will get soap spot marks if I do'nt rinse good enough but they are easy to wash off.

Also helps to not wash in the sun if you can avoid - you get spots with hard water no matter how quick you can dry the car. At least thats what I found.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2005, 12:13 AM   #3
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzi
I have a black saphire 330i. Today, I washed the car with Dawn, wiped it down with a clay bar, dried the car with cotton towel, and then applied a coat of Zaino.
After the application, I noticed that there are multiple water spots on the hood.
I read eleswhere that Dawn may not be the best for the car. Try the Wax, Wash and Detailing threads that are full of useful information about DIY cleaning the car.

You will probably find this thread will be moved there anyway.

Hope you get your spots off.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2005, 08:24 PM   #4
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Absolutely NEVER wash your car in the wind or in the sun. If you have crappy water like I do here in the country you're guaranteed those damn spots.

VINEGAR and water will get rid of those bloody spots. It is an a amazing wash liquid. Search here and at bimmerfest to confirm my statement, I believe this is where I got it (or at bimmefest).

You'll find that that the cleaner your car is the easier it is to wash a couple of times to really get ALL the dirt off!

Then when you're really ready to start the Zaino process the car will be really clean. I usually park under my pine tree but if it's windy the tree pewks bits on the car. So I wait 'til the sun is behind the house then I go like a jackrabbit before sundown. Trouble with starting Zaino then is that the car gets condensation on it after dark, so if you can move it to the garage by then you're doing well.

Good luck, let us know!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2005, 03:46 AM   #5
BMRu4ia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i VR

Yes, vinegar will dissolve the minerals causing the waterspots saftely.
Appreciate 0