E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 335 exhaust on 328XI

09-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
m1tal1k
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi black sedan 07

335 exhaust on 328XI

Got off the phone with a BMW modder that works at the local BMW dealer and he suggested i buy the 335 bumper if I want to upgrade the exhaust because there is literally almost nothing for the 328. I can't find much either so I asked him if I needed to get new headers as well, he said no but "dont quote me on that"....so I got kinda scared and wanted to know.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1tal1k View Post
Got off the phone with a BMW modder that works at the local BMW dealer and he suggested i buy the 335 bumper if I want to upgrade the exhaust because there is literally almost nothing for the 328. I can't find much either so I asked him if I needed to get new headers as well, he said no but "dont quote me on that"....so I got kinda scared and wanted to know.
You're 30 minutes from where I live. I should drive down and beat you senseless.

If you want duals on your car, go for a custom setup. PLEASE do not put the 335 piping under a 328. You'll be adding weight and it isn't going to make your car sound any better. If you want sound and performance or simply looks, do yourself a favor and go custom. Throw a nice magnaflow muffler on it if you don't want something extremely loud. Trust me. Its not worth it to put the 335 stuff underneath.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
C ///M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 M3 & '07 X3 M-Sport

Garage List
Per the gentleman above:
Custom Dual Exhaust for 328

He's right, just go custom.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Wait... are you kidding me? If you put on a 335 bumper, then you'll only have ONE option for an exhaust, and that's custom piping through a Magnaflow muffler. Just because you have a 335 bumper doesn't mean you can start using 335 exhausts on your 328. This "BMW modder" obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. If you go custom, you'll need a good muffler shop and a lot of money to pay for the labor.

There are MANY exhausts available for your e90 328xi -- off the top of my head I can think of:

BMW Performance Exhaust
Rogue Engineering Ikon Exhaust
Remus Power Sound Exhaust
Eisenmann Exhaust
TopSpeed Exhaust (eBay item)

Personally, I prefer and own the BMW Performance Exhaust -- here's a vid of my car:

[u2b]T5x9EMFts98?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1[/u2b]

And there's also a thread dedicated to N/A engine exhausts that's a sticky in this forum: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163260
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
C ///M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 M3 & '07 X3 M-Sport

Garage List
Well put; I assumed the OP wanted dual tips from the post above, but after re-reading his original post, he didn't specify dual tips.

If you don't absolutely "need" 335i style tips, there are plenty of direct fit options.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 02:57 AM   #6
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

What the hell do 335 tips have to do with this topic? He wants a 335 style exhaust system instead of the drivers side single exit design of the N/A cars.

And as far as custom work goes, it isn't anymore expensive going to a muffler shop and having something fabricated then it's going to be spending $600 plus on a pre made system.

m1ta1k,
Your best friend in this case is to use the search button. There are tons of different choices for exhausts and setups Dual, Single or Quad. Don't let this idiot "bmw modder" of yours talk you into doing something you'll regret down the road. He clearly doesn't know his head from his ass.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
m1tal1k
Private
Rep

Okay? So I can change the exhaust on my 328 without changing the back end at all? Cause I've still been unable to find a place to sell and exhaust. I saw Reggie's e92 post and he had a Eisenmann exhaust but I can't find the same one or even one by them for my car anymore. Also what custom back can I get for my car thats lighter than my stock and by how much? And how much lighter could I get the front end since I gotta replace it as well?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
"bmw modder" sounds like a bmw idiot.
      09-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
sexymexy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 jet black

Hello my friend!!! Look some of the guys here are pulling stuff from the air!!! I can tell you from experience!!! I did the convertion from 325i exaust to a 335i exaust fully OEM and I got all the pictures and documents. If you want fully OEM look and quality is not cheap, but nothing is better in my opinion. My best friend is one of the best mecanics in the BMW dealer here in Tx. You are looking at 2,000 to 3,000 to complete this convertion and 16 hrs of labor. Something very, very, very important to keep in mind is to have all the parts, screws and bolts you need before you start this journey, in my opinion (only) and from experince it look and sound goood!!! Don't let the guys here tell you what to do just because that's what they want and like. Good luck and contact me if you want to see some pictures and details.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexymexy View Post
Hello my friend!!! Look some of the guys here are pulling stuff from the air!!! I can tell you from experience!!! I did the convertion from 325i exaust to a 335i exaust fully OEM and I got all the pictures and documents. If you want fully OEM look and quality is not cheap, but nothing is better in my opinion. My best friend is one of the best mecanics in the BMW dealer here in Tx. You are looking at 2,000 to 3,000 to complete this convertion and 16 hrs of labor. Something very, very, very important to keep in mind is to have all the parts, screws and bolts you need before you start this journey, in my opinion (only) and from experince it look and sound goood!!! Don't let the guys here tell you what to do just because that's what they want and like. Good luck and contact me if you want to see some pictures and details.
Did you bother to read his most recent post? $2K-$3K is a lot for getting the ass end and the under carriage to look like a 335. 19 posts and you're saying we are pulling shit out of the air huh? QFT and GTFO.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
m1tal1k
Private
Rep

The only reason I wanted to do the back was cause I had to replace the front. The BMW guy said I could get the 335 front end from them for the same and it looks nicer imo. He didn't mention it being heavier so I didn't think about that. I also thought I'd look retarded going down the street in a 328 with a 335 front/328 back so I was gonna replace it with something as well. Why not a matching 335 back....and then I knew I'd have to replace the exhaust as well. So why not the 335 exhaust lol....see my point? I did look for other options like after market front/back/exhaust but I still cant find anything. I had today off and drove around Colorado Springs and only found one place and they wouldn't paint it, so if I bought the pieces (which I could eBay etc) for cheaper I'd still have to have someone paint it, and then I searched for that and my cars a metallic black which is hard to match so I figured I'd just get BMW to paint it/put it on. See my point now? I'd be happier with a aftermarket front/back, and I dont even care if it needs to get painted first. I just wanted my cracked front bumper gone.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 01:35 AM   #12
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1tal1k View Post
The only reason I wanted to do the back was cause I had to replace the front. The BMW guy said I could get the 335 front end from them for the same and it looks nicer imo. He didn't mention it being heavier so I didn't think about that. I also thought I'd look retarded going down the street in a 328 with a 335 front/328 back so I was gonna replace it with something as well. Why not a matching 335 back....and then I knew I'd have to replace the exhaust as well. So why not the 335 exhaust lol....see my point? I did look for other options like after market front/back/exhaust but I still cant find anything. I had today off and drove around Colorado Springs and only found one place and they wouldn't paint it, so if I bought the pieces (which I could eBay etc) for cheaper I'd still have to have someone paint it, and then I searched for that and my cars a metallic black which is hard to match so I figured I'd just get BMW to paint it/put it on. See my point now? I'd be happier with a aftermarket front/back, and I dont even care if it needs to get painted first. I just wanted my cracked front bumper gone.
There are a ton of aftermarket options for front ends. The 335 front end only differs with the lower grills being metal instead of plastic. Research websites with parts and things you can use. The 335 exhaust was made for the N54 motor. If you want that rear bumper and need an exhaust to fit it then look at aftermarket options. Custom or premade it doesn't matter, just don't waste your money or time on the factory system.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #13
superduty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
Custom or premade it doesn't matter, just don't waste your money or time on the factory system.
I don't think the OP or his BMW "modder" were saying that they wanted to put a factory 335 exhaust under his car. As far as options are concerned, there are MANY more aftermarket 335 style systems around then for N/A's. It's the OP's money and time, why do you care if he wants a 335 style exhaust? In addition, none of the posts in this thread have provided any evidence that installing a 335 system on an N/A is not good. As far as custom set ups go, some of the installs I've seen on this forum are innovative but none of them have any design testing to prove if they are any better or worse than any other system. Personally, I rather go with a pre-made system from a reputable vendor because many of them have done the research.