BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Question LEGIT Complaints about 1M, as you see it

Question, please tell me your LEGIT complaints about this car.

What I am NOT looking for is an argument about manual vs DCT, etc....

For example, one of my best friends says the 1M is NOT an M car due to the fact that the redline will be 7,000 rpm when it should be 8,000 +

I have owned a 2000 323i, '05 M3, '06 M3, '07 M Coupe, but have been out of a car for a few years now due to living in NYC, and I haven't been keeping up on info about turbos, N54 vs N55 engines, etc....

Looking for good solid discussion/insight.

Hopefully this post doesn't annoy anyone.

Lastly, is it not a complete turn off that this generation of 1M is made with pre existing parts and "slapped together", whereas the next gen. should have much better execution??
      09-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
For example, one of my best friends says the 1M is NOT an M car due to the fact that the redline will be 7,000 rpm when it should be 8,000 +
He's an idiot then....... and he needs to check his ///M history.

The 2002 Turbo was one of the newly created BMW M GmbH first projects, and went a long way to establishing todays ///M credentials...... and the 2002 Turbo didn't have a 8,000 rpm red line either, nor did the equally famous E9 3.0 CSL have a 8,000 rpm redline.

BMW have a rich turbo pedigree in motorsports from the late 70's early 80's, so you could say they are returning to their roots in some ways, and have to because of ever tightning emissions regulations. It's evolution as well as re-invention......
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

I do not believe this will not be a grrrrreat car. It will.

But I am worried about

cosmetics:

lip spoiler vs duck tail spoiler want lip spoiler
carbon roof want it
racer boy looks do not want it

I am waiting for the final product, and reviews across the pond. If not to my liking a 2011 M3 is my second choice, after that keep my car, wait for the redesigned 1 and 3.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twistys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDAD View Post
I do not believe this will not be a grrrrreat car. It will.

But I am worried about

cosmetics:

lip spoiler vs duck tail spoiler want lip spoiler
carbon roof want it
racer boy looks do not want it

I am waiting for the final product, and reviews across the pond. If not to my liking a 2011 M3 is my second choice, after that keep my car, wait for the redesigned 1 and 3.
Right there with ya. CF roof in my eyes is a must at this point.
But I can't really complain until I see the final product.
My only REAL complain would be if they limit production and drive up $$$,
then I will meet you in Munchen to pick up my M3.

Z4M Coupe 6MT Monaco Blue #13/36 ...Keeper...
Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
335i 6MT Montego Blue M-Sport (Retired),X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
Cyan007
Rep
Drives: 2004 GSXR600, 2008 Civic SI

What throws me off a bit would be the current 0-60 times of a few cars:

Most people can push their 135i at about 4.9-5.0 seconds and the M3 around 4.3 seconds (f not better). We can safely assume the 1M will not overpower the M3 so we might see times around 4.6 - 4.7 seconds. With the price tag around 50-55k to start, I would like to know I would have no issue with the new models of the American muscle cars being released without having to add mods. Obviously the Corvette would be in a different class for this range.

That of course would be in a straight line, in the twisties, I have no doubt this car would put a beat down on ALL of them plus have a more sophisticated style.

This comparison leads me to just save up some more cash to pickup a new M3 instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
Alpin3_F30
Euro.Techniks-EAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i

my complaint is..it needs the CF roof and a more aggressive hood to complete the ///M look.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyan007 View Post
What throws me off a bit would be the current 0-60 times of a few cars:

Most people can push their 135i at about 4.9-5.0 seconds and the M3 around 4.3 seconds (f not better). We can safely assume the 1M will not overpower the M3 so we might see times around 4.6 - 4.7 seconds. With the price tag around 50-55k to start, I would like to know I would have no issue with the new models of the American muscle cars being released without having to add mods. Obviously the Corvette would be in a different class for this range.

That of course would be in a straight line, in the twisties, I have no doubt this car would put a beat down on ALL of them plus have a more sophisticated style.

This comparison leads me to just save up some more cash to pickup a new M3 instead.
Just to clarify, Car and Driver and Motortrend tested the 135 and got 0-60 times of 4.7 and 4.8 respectively. With more hp, larger tire footprint and (guessing) lower ratio perf gear set I would think low 4's for the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine325ci View Post
my complaint is..it needs the CF roof and a more aggressive hood to complete the ///M look.

+1
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
niuniu
NO DOGMA
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: baby bimmer

It's hard to get the balance between the boy racer and mature car enthusiast looks because both types of people have similar tastes and want similar elements. There's a fine line in there somewhere though. I'm sure M will make sure that this car looks tasteful and not like a mid-life crisis or pre-pubescent sketch.

Just look towards Gerry's (Alpine325ci's) Monaco Blue render - you can see how it looks very sophisticated. You could easily turn up to work in that.

------

As for what makes an M, what doesn't make an M. That's been debunked in an earlier thread. Basically anyone that begins a sentence with' M has to have..' is full of it, doesn't know his history, doesn't work for M, and isn't grounded enough to enter a discussion on a complex area between user wants, current manufacturing standards and overarching regulations affecting the industry.

----

We all have wants for the 1M. I want

335hp (thereabouts)
more exotic look that 135i
some M parts from the M3, brakes, suspension, tighter steering ratio etc
carbon fiber roof
manual stick (I will still buy a DCT though if no manual option, always wanted to try one sometime)
the M3 competition alloys at least as an option.

I want it to be able to seriously contend with the TTRS and the Cayman S. if it can do that, then M will have me sold on this project.
      09-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

My only complaint is that it will be hard to get it into my driveway

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #11
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

N54 and HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
Doggybags
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

The legit complaint I have is mostly not with the car because, well, at this point we really don't have hard details yet, only rumblings and contradicting pieces fed to us to stir the frenzy plus a bit of front driver fender, M3 Competition wheels and side mirrors, stance, and quad exhausts. SCOTT26 only feeds us enough to keep our attention (and recent posts suggest he is not entirely in the loop anymore) and Motoring File is also told what they can or cannot say. Big Brother controls everything...

So the legit complaint is with the way we (the possible customers) have been played with up to now. I know they are getting what they want, a lot of hype and attention and a lot of bandwidth dedicated to the what ifs and bs that people like to say as fact and others love to contradict. Also known as free marketing. It's just frustrating as hell. But alas, that's what we get to deal with nowadays. Can't wait to get some hard specs on the car to make my final judgment. Up to now:
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #13
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggybags View Post
The legit complaint I have is mostly not with the car...only rumblings and contradicting pieces fed to us to stir the frenzy...we (the possible customers) have been played with up to now...a lot of hype and attention and a lot of bandwidth...Also known as free marketing...It's just frustrating as hell.
A lot of truth in this statement.

BMW should be careful not to over-hype this car. That inevitably leads to unmet expectations and resentment.

I think they might be well served to reveal a few specifics on engine type (not necessarily output) and turbo setup.

Also would be nice to provide some official guidance (i.e. not through Scott) on production figures and number of units bound for North America.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Possible Complaints:

- looks
- N54 issues (HPFP reliability, etc)
- practicality of a small coupe
- expensive options (and everything will be an option)
- price
- reliability past the warranty (and the costs associated with maintaining German car)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #15
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
That they've been hyping a car that will prove to be only slightly better than a stock 135i. Sure it would be great if this turns out not to be true, but if they're just using an N54 with the power kit (a'la the 335is), then they should have dropped the M badge and just made it the 2011 135i. It's improved, but it's not in a different class.
      09-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #16
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Its not about power, its about feel. Go find an E30 M3 with suspension mods and Alpha N and drive it. You won't give a shit how much power it doesn't have, because of the overloaded sensations you will walk away with.

T
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #17
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post
Its not about power, its about feel. Go find an E30 M3 with suspension mods and Alpha N and drive it. You won't give a shit how much power it doesn't have, because of the overloaded sensations you will walk away with.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
As someone has mentioned, all it needs for me is to be competetive with the Audi TT-RS and the Cayman S Porsche...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #19
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
As someone has mentioned, all it needs for me is to be competetive with the Audi TT-RS and the Cayman S Porsche...
Nope. Those are purpose built two seaters.

T
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #20
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Nope. Those are purpose built two seaters.

T
So? They are the only other two cars I would consider. They are all 2 door, European sports coupes focused on speed/handling.

I said competitive, it doesn't have to beat them, but be up there with them. In reality it would be quite easy to make a 1M that could beat both of them! So really it isn't much of an ask for BMW to at least be competitive with them.

My complaint is that BMW will not make this a pure M car like they are touting it. They will not make it quicker than the M3 and therefore they are not doing what they can to make it the best 1M they possibly can. They are compromising.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #21
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:

T
There are few cars out there already do that, Miata, Cooper, S2K, Elise, Cayman. That's why I am not holding my breath for 1M. If it exceeds expectation, then great I will consider it. If not I will be in my long term search for the perfect Cayman or Elise. Cayman because it still offers comfort of creature. More like a condensed version of a M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
It will be competitive. Does a lot of things Cayman do well in different manner. I think it's more akin to how M coupe does it, with more power and hooliganism.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #22
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

after taking my friends 335 on the nurburgring during his euro delivery, the n55 motor is a dog. the turbo lag makes the car harder to drive, especially when you are downshifting - you can rev match, but the rpms usually drop.

the m cars that were turbocharged from the 70s and 80s also pumped out ridiculous HP#s and had 0 emissions. with todays emissions and BMWs pursuit to have the ultimate in MPG - that type of motor is impossible to have.

my biggest grip with turbo cars is the lack of throttle response. Porsche has perfected it with the turbo and the gt2, but there is nothing like a n/a motor - i.e. the gt3 or gt3rs and current gen m3. turbo lag is the problem, and although BMW has done a FANTASTIC job in the n54/n55 in making turbo lag almost invincible - they have done so for street driving - but not so much on the track.

i trust bmw and the engineers at the m division. I am sure they will make a fantastic car. I have yet to drive the turbo charged x5m and x6m. i want to drive them to see how the throttle response is and how they would be on the track.

i completely understand that 95% of M owners do not track there car and BMW is out to make money.

either way, i think the car will do well against the competition.

Appreciate 0