E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How often do you use Quick Detailer

01-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Carbon Black M Sport

How often do you use Quick Detailer

I purchased Mother's Showtime today and after the weekly wash and dry I went around spraying, wiping and rewiping with a different ultra plush towel. Car looks just as good as after my 3rd coat of SG. Very nice.

I probably used 1/4 to 1/3(maybe less) of the bottle. Just lightly misting and spreading with one MF and wiping off with another. Do people do this EVERY week, every other week, once a month? I have a sealant on(Klasse SG). Does this product "boost" the sealant at all or is it just for looks?

Also, anyone use Meguiar's quick detailer(exterior)? Comments, complaints/praise would be appreciated. I can get that in a 32oz local for $7.99. 16oz is $5.99 like the Mother's. I put the QD in my trunk to replace the distilled water bottle for bird sh!t emergencies.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

i was wondering if qd was really safe for paint, i have jet black and i notice an awful lot of dust on my paint, but i'm really heitant to WIPE it off with quick detailer. i see rinsing it first and then washing it as a safer route. can someone chime in?

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2007, 10:40 PM   #3
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironic
i was wondering if qd was really safe for paint, i have jet black and i notice an awful lot of dust on my paint, but i'm really heitant to WIPE it off with quick detailer. i see rinsing it first and then washing it as a safer route. can someone chime in?
Use a California duster first then QD.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICALL
I purchased Mother's Showtime today and after the weekly wash and dry I went around spraying, wiping and rewiping with a different ultra plush towel. Car looks just as good as after my 3rd coat of SG. Very nice.

I probably used 1/4 to 1/3(maybe less) of the bottle. Just lightly misting and spreading with one MF and wiping off with another. Do people do this EVERY week, every other week, once a month? I have a sealant on(Klasse SG). Does this product "boost" the sealant at all or is it just for looks?

Also, anyone use Meguiar's quick detailer(exterior)? Comments, complaints/praise would be appreciated. I can get that in a 32oz local for $7.99. 16oz is $5.99 like the Mother's. I put the QD in my trunk to replace the distilled water bottle for bird sh!t emergencies.

Thanks in advance
I only use Megs products, the QD really shines the NXT wax back up.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2007, 11:15 PM   #5
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks NFS. When I run out of Mother's, I'll hit the Meguiar's.

As for the dust.... I'm ONLY doing this after washing and drying my car so we're talking about a relatively clean car. I was looking to "sharpen" up my shine or possibly give a boost to the sealant.

I believe you are correct ironic, I wouldn't try QD'ing a dirty car. I'm not much of a believer in the instructions on these products. At minimum, use the duster and then probably a very plush MF towel. On Jet Black, I wouldn't feel safe doing it without a wash.

Funny, I actually enjoy washing my car now and look forward to it. I'm still not digging doing the interior, but it gets done.(Meg's Interior QD, Z9, Z10, Distilled water for the wood, swifter duster over everything 1st., and old hoover vacuum for the rugs) Next online order will include the 303 Aero.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2007, 11:17 PM   #6
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
i only use the quick detailer as a quick polish after washing the car...
      01-13-2007, 11:43 PM   #7
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

I only use it after a wash, never on any dust or dirt. I *will* use poorboys spray & wipe on super light dust as it is intended to clean light dust. Honestly there are so many good spray sealants now I tend to use qd's only as clay lube.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 07:38 AM   #8
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
I only use it after a wash, never on any dust or dirt. I *will* use poorboys spray & wipe on super light dust as it is intended to clean light dust. Honestly there are so many good spray sealants now I tend to use qd's only as clay lube.

How is a spray sealant different/better than a QD? I use a QD after I dust down the car ( only dust from sitting in the garage ) but if a sealant spray is better I am interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

A spray sealant is not for dusting; a high lubricity qd is, so in that regard they are different. A spray sealant is designed to be a stand alone sealant; however because it's so easy to apply a lot of guys, like me, use them after washes pretty regularly. The difference in terms of look is the difference between qd'ing and adding more sealant, and with the sealant you get more protection (since it's a sealant, aferall); so think of a spray sealant like a qd on steroids with some protection built in. There are so many good ones now (Opt car wax, duragloss aw, werkstatt acrylic jett, carnauba jett, etc), that aside from using spray & wipe to dust * as clay lube, I rarely use quick detailers at all any more.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

I used to use QD after every wash to help eliminate any water spots and "boost" the wax. Now I just use Duragloss Aquawax to do the same and at the same time it adds a layer of protection because it is a spray sealant. I can get away with several months before applying wax/sealant this way, the car looks great and water just keeps beading. I now use QD's for spot treatment (bird bombs) or after a wash if its been less than a couple of weeks since AW.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
werkstatt acrylic jett
Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com/acrylic-jett-trigger.php

Whenever you have time could you answer a few questions?

1. Will this bond to my SG or other sealants for that matter?
2. Will this boost my SG or should I wait til next application and use their "prime" and Acrylic Jett first?
3. How often do you use this? Every other week? Once a month?
4. Lastly, about how many applications do you get out of it. They say to use one spray per panel. Seems really light. Any special method's you found for application ? Ultra Plush MF or regular MF(OK, so like 5 questions in the last question...)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 10:55 PM   #12
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICALL
Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com/acrylic-jett-trigger.php

Whenever you have time could you answer a few questions?

1. Will this bond to my SG or other sealants for that matter?
2. Will this boost my SG or should I wait til next application and use their "prime" and Acrylic Jett first?
3. How often do you use this? Every other week? Once a month?
4. Lastly, about how many applications do you get out of it. They say to use one spray per panel. Seems really light. Any special method's you found for application ? Ultra Plush MF or regular MF(OK, so like 5 questions in the last question...)

Thanks
1. Acrylic Jett is a reformulation of SG, so yes, it will.
2. It will boost it. Use prime next time you decide to do the full sealant application.
3. As often as you like. I do it maybe once a month.
4) Regular mf, it's slightly "tacky" so a plush gets caught up in it. You get a lot of applications, I use *maybe* an ounce per application. I bought my bottle in June, I've used it on a ton of cars, and still have 1/4 bottle.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 10:51 AM   #13
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
A coat of Klasse SG only takes 30 - 40 minutes to put on, so I'll usually put some on every 8 - 10 washes, depending on how long between washes. I don't really bother with QD's anymore.
      01-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #14
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Picus. As always, I greatly appreciate your input.

Hey Hawk. I really got the QD for the bird sh!t. I park outside at work. I came out to sh!t twice already. First time I drove to the gas station and used the cleanest dirty water I could find and just soaked the sh!t off(No wiping). After that, I put a MF towel and spray bottle with distilled water in my trunk. Fits perfect under the floor mat in the trunk.

For giggles, I decided to use it for the whole car and liked what I saw. I wanted to know how many applications I'd get from the bottle and if it was worth it. After hearing about acrylic-jett, I'll probably end up using that.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 08:31 AM   #15
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I use Meguiar's Final Inspection and purchase it by the gallon. I use it more as a spray to help remove product - wax or sealants. But when I had Jet Black I would use it often to remove a fine layer of dust or pollen using a microfiber cloth. I do prefer it to Poorboy's Spray and Wipe which I have but don't use too often.
      01-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #16
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

i personally only use QD to remove bird shat and thats all.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #17
Lucid4000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i AW Sport 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i Sport  [0.00]
I usually use a quick detailer like Z6 or even Showtime after every wash.

Mobile Addictions
718.877.7700 or info@mobile-addictions.com
www.mobile-addictions.com
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #18
glock17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sparkling Graphite

QD for bird droppings. Even that makes me worry that I'm grinding the crap into my paint.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 06:03 PM   #19
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

i only really use it to remove bird crap, while using a microfiber towel.
      02-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #20
antidentite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: See signature

This thread has me a little worried. I have a Jet Black 335 and planned on using the QD inbetween washes but only with a light layer of dust on the car. Will this cause swirls?
Current: '17 Porsche Macan GTS
Current: '04 V8 4Runner
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 10:18 PM   #21
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep

YES. It will marr the paint.

After searching and reading, almost all vets do NOT recommend using QD for in between washes.

I wash every weekend. If you can't wash and you want a swirl free car, then live with the dirt. If you're up north or don't feel like washing it, others have said to go through a touchless car wash and don't dry it.(Touchless wash will leave small particles on the paint that will scratch/swirl if you dry/rub them off). I'm told even the dusters are no good and will cause swirls.

Either way, easiest thing is to take a weekend and wash, polish and seal your car. This makes maintenance much easier. Now, I simply wash the car. 20-30 minute job including drying.. (2 bucket) Throw cleaning the rims in and we're at 45 minutes.

I would be extra careful with a black car. I have polarized sunglasses and I'm now noticing swirl marks on almost every black car in my neighborhood. Its too funny.

Just found this thread with similar warnings for Jet black paint.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20940

Last edited by ICALL; 02-07-2007 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Found thread
Appreciate 0