BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
linuxguy
Rep
Drives: VW GTI

1M bashing - I don't get it

Had 135i came to US one year earlier - I would have been driving one. Instead I am enjoying my 250hp VW GTI, and planning on getting my foot into 1M when the time comes.

So why this post, why the thread, why register to post something?

I don't get it, I don't get the users basing 1M or 135i for that matter. I don't get the 'light as the feather', 'no NAV', 'no conv', 'no extra weight arguments'.

135i is a monster on it's own. One car that does it all. Having said that 1M is a whole another dimension. If I were to improve 135, I would give it more 'umf', wider body, better suspension, and CARBON Fiber roof (not to only save on weight) but lower the center of gravity = better cornering. I like M cars or BMW for giving ultimate driving thrills while giving me radio, and A/C, and leather seats, and 20 speakers, and air bags, and convertible if needed, while going round bends like no other.

If you want a race track car - ditch everything out, strip it, and race it - and put better breaks (as someone noted)...

So far 1M will have my name on the purchase list.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
niuniu
NO DOGMA
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: baby bimmer

Everything in the world gets bashed. This car, like all others is no different. Choose BMW's most highly regarded car - the M3, it gets ripped on from all angles on other forums and even journalists. The type of people who buys that car are the butt of some very snide and nasty jokes. Nothing can escape critique. Just like what you like - chances are the people who criticise stuff that you like have a life full of easily criticised choices and behaviours. So never take anything personally.

The only thing everyone in the world has in common is the want for happiness. Everything else is fair game when it comes to criticism!

I like you, love this 1M so far and even love the way that it's been pieced together, like a garage project for the M boys. Hardcore!

Last edited by niuniu; 09-09-2010 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
My favorite line ever is: find me a hot chick and there's a guy who's sick of banging her. When you start to drive something for a while, you tend to take her for granted and start to look at the negatives. Goes for cars as well!

People love to complain. I've had several problems with my 135, but I love driving this car. I chose this over a 335 for a reason and I'm glad I did. The naysayers will come around on the 1M once the reviews and test drives come out. Until then, we have to deal with jackasses who have no concept of the ///M brand and it's history. I'm not too worried. BMW M will deliver.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Mu Mu
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post

I like you, love this 1M so far and even love the way that it's been pieced together, like a garage project for the M boys. Hardcore!
I absolutely love and agree with this statement! No DCT this, or not enough power that, or no CF roof are all just minor if not non existent complaints to me. I actually haven't been sold on a M car since the e39 M5 and the e46 M3. This car for me brings that back. a 1M and an e46 M3 do it for me!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

speaking of AC. the unit I had in the 135i was weaksauce. Is it because germany is typically cold or what? And I agree whole heartedly with Mu Mu, I want a M car that's a titan slayer again. A car that makes 911 driver thinks twice about doing funny business. A car that does something especially well.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
speaking of AC. the unit I had in the 135i was weaksauce. Is it because germany is typically cold or what? And I agree whole heartedly with Mu Mu, I want a M car that's a titan slayer again. A car that makes 911 driver thinks twice about doing funny business. A car that does something especially well.
My ac works great in 100+ degree ambient temps with 70%+ relative humidity. Be sure to use max btuh capacity by hitting the MAX button for the temperature control.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
linuxguy
Rep
Drives: VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
My favorite line ever is: find me a hot chick and there's a guy who's sick of banging her. When you start to drive something for a while, you tend to take her for granted and start to look at the negatives. Goes for cars as well!

People love to complain. I've had several problems with my 135, but I love driving this car. I chose this over a 335 for a reason and I'm glad I did. The naysayers will come around on the 1M once the reviews and test drives come out. Until then, we have to deal with jackasses who have no concept of the ///M brand and it's history. I'm not too worried. BMW M will deliver.
That is just it. Every car will have some problems, 135i is not an exception (HPFP for example), but the pure thrill and driver focus in 135i, surpasses anything I have seen or tested in the 3 series (excluding M cars). This M car, according to everything I saw, read, found on the net thus far, is going to take driving experience to a whole new level. I can't wait to see the car. Now I thank economy, and timing, for allowing me to wait on pulling the trigger on 135i.
Jeremy Clarkson acknowledged in the Top Gear article what BMW was missing - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle3103294.ece

Now 1M takes that to a whole new level. I really can't wait... Time to start saving for a new car in 2011/12...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Bashing about cars? How can you be surprised?
Cars are expensive. People get emotionally attached to them. Manufacturers are in it to make money and work very hard to try and manipulate people into selecting their product rather than someone elses.

I would have no problem condeming people who bashed BMW over a car that hasn't been released yet IF BMW were saying nothing about it and simply going about their business of designing a new product. Since BMW has been very much involved in hyping this car before it's released they deserve all the slings and arrows that come their way because their motive isn't charitable or selfless, it's about taking your money, as fast as they can and as much as they can.
      09-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

I just hope it's available in a convertible. LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #10
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Bashing about cars? How can you be surprised?
Cars are expensive...
My goodness, no American has the right to complain about expensive cars Your 135i is less than 1/3 of what it costs here in my country.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #11
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
My goodness, no American has the right to complain about expensive cars Your 135i is less than 1/3 of what it costs here in my country.
In Soviet Russia, car buys you.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 03:26 AM   #12
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeryan View Post
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 07:41 AM   #13
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post

For better or worse, our outspokeness is a significant part of why our car costs so much less than yours.
      09-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #14
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
For better or worse, our outspokeness is a significant part of why our car costs so much less than yours.
Not true. America is a vast country that cannot realistically be served by an efficient public transport system. Car is more of a necessity than luxury. In our case, land is highly limited. Consequently, car population must be managed or the country would be one big parking lot. Loving cars is almost a curse here, but petrolheads everywhere would know this. There is no stopping landing your dream ride!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
BenTrovato
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Why can't people bash the 1M? I think it looks awesome and is going to be a great car (in my opinion) but why would we want to suppress someone not liking it?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #16
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
Why can't people bash the 1M? I think it looks awesome and is going to be a great car (in my opinion) but why would we want to suppress someone not liking it?
Because the car isn't even out and we still don't know all the specs. How can you bash something that only a hand full of people know anything about? Most of those people work for BMW and are not on this board. Also, most of these people who bash have never owned nor driven an M car and therefore don't appreciate the history. As much as people don't like the X5 M (I am one because I don't like SUV's) the reviews talk about how this thing handles like a car on the track. Not a true M? Perhaps. But, the fact that people don't think this will be a true M because it maybe won't have DCT or maybe won't have a CF roof, etc, is just ignorant and shortsighted.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #17
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Let me help!

BRAKES ARE LAME... They are retrofitting the smaller M brakes which is pathetic. They have better resistance to fade, but they look like shet!

POWER IS WEAK... 350 was good 2 years ago, but now, most JB3 cars are going to mock this thing! Who cares about wide body! With 400 to 450, this thing would have been a 911 turbo contender to some degree and would wipe the floor with the m3, which to me was a weak car compared to its ancestors.

COLOR CHOICES... Crappy ass choices will be the cherry on top. Instead of offering estoril, emola, and other colors like the frozen greys and blacks, they will keep it simple. BMW has no sense..

Phew I feel better!
      09-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #18
compact
Registered
Rep
Drives: 318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Let me help!

BRAKES ARE LAME... They are retrofitting the smaller M brakes which is pathetic. They have better resistance to fade, but they look like shet!

POWER IS WEAK... 350 was good 2 years ago, but now, most JB3 cars are going to mock this thing! Who cares about wide body! With 400 to 450, this thing would have been a 911 turbo contender to some degree and would wipe the floor with the m3, which to me was a weak car compared to its ancestors.

COLOR CHOICES... Crappy ass choices will be the cherry on top. Instead of offering estoril, emola, and other colors like the frozen greys and blacks, they will keep it simple. BMW has no sense..

Phew I feel better!
You prefer good looking brakes over what actually works...or HP over handling....BMW has never been about huge HP numbers (350 sounds more than enough for me by the way) but about the feel and handlng of the car. The limites nr of colours is like what they did with the E30 M3 Sportevo, at least they have a sense of history, unlike some..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #19
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

That is sad, but over here, people go through cars, like there is no tomorrow, and take huge looses doing so... The youth for the most part, are the ones currently freely spending money, and just live with the family, so cost is not issue, and in most cases being born with entitilement, they live a life style accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeryan View Post
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #20
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by compact View Post
You prefer good looking brakes over what actually works...or HP over handling....BMW has never been about huge HP numbers (350 sounds more than enough for me by the way) but about the feel and handlng of the car. The limites nr of colours is like what they did with the E30 M3 Sportevo, at least they have a sense of history, unlike some..
The brakes on my 135 are better than any car I've ever had. There solution is weak. When you have cars like the GTR with massive brakes, you don't go backwards. POOR STRATEGY from a marketing perspective.. Sorry.
If I wanted spartan, I'd buy an Ariel Atom!! Till then, give me 6 piston brakes.

Regarding the handling. How many M1 owners are going to track their cars regularly? Bet you less than the majority. So most M1s wont be exploiting their fancy new assets beyond 7/10s. I'm a big handling person and feel that HP and Handling need to be on par. Just feel like with the setup they are preparing the M1 is going to be lacking in the power dept. Because my 135 manages the 380 quite nicely.

BMW used to not be into HP numbers, but that's changed. The new m5 is going to be near 600hp. Maybe our definition of huge is different, but it's the same M division making both cars. So asking for 400 from an inline 6 twin turbo is not asking for absurd figures. Just whats going to be competitive with other cars in the segment.
      09-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #21
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Let me help!

Should Bimmerpost have a psychological test before accepting members? Cosmetics over performance? Very sad.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #22
Atropos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe

Quote:
The brakes on my 135 are better than any car I've ever had. There solution is weak. When you have cars like the GTR with massive brakes, you don't go backwards. POOR STRATEGY from a marketing perspective.. Sorry.
If I wanted spartan, I'd buy an Ariel Atom!! Till then, give me 6 piston brakes.

Regarding the handling. How many M1 owners are going to track their cars regularly? Bet you less than the majority. So most M1s wont be exploiting their fancy new assets beyond 7/10s. I'm a big handling person and feel that HP and Handling need to be on par. Just feel like with the setup they are preparing the M1 is going to be lacking in the power dept. Because my 135 manages the 380 quite nicely.

BMW used to not be into HP numbers, but that's changed. The new m5 is going to be near 600hp. Maybe our definition of huge is different, but it's the same M division making both cars. So asking for 400 from an inline 6 twin turbo is not asking for absurd figures. Just whats going to be competitive with other cars in the segment.
You're essentially asking for the equivalent of an M3, for a starting price of 10k less.

Somehow, I don't think the businessmen of BMW will nod their heads in agreement to this.
Appreciate 0