E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Advice on HK driving and best to use 325i's ability

09-14-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Advice on HK driving and best to use 325i's ability

Hey all, since prior to getting this 325i, my main mean of transportation was the MTR, I would like to get some advice on HK driving and how best to maximize the 325i's abilities from you more "experienced" guys.

The problem is, I've notice that many HK drivers, particularly those taxi and minibus drivers, really aren't that great drivers. They drive like they are looking for accidents. I see stuff like this every time, and I really mean every time when I drive:

Reckless taxi driver 1:

Reckless taxi driver 2:

Not to mention actual crashes like this:

and this:

My question, I can't really "avoid" these motherf******, since we share the same road, how should I use my 325i's ability to get out of the way so that I don't end up in an accident like those?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 02:57 AM   #2
Icy J
im a car
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 220i M Sport | 520i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 220i  [10.00]
kinda offtopic, but have been stuck in three traffic jams in three days on the same stretch of highway (between Tai Po and Fanling), WTF? Two in the afternoon after school and one in the morning before school (all to do with traffic accidents); rare for so many to occur...

oh and the third video is somewhat WTF, did that guy on the bike kick the bumper of the car? O_o

'14 220i M Sport | AW/CR | PUR Wheels RS07 19" | KW V1 | MTC Design F2X Kit [CF] | Stage 1 ECU Tune | Eventuri CF Intake | Manhart Race Exhaust/Resonator Delete | ER HFC Downpipe | F8X LCA + TS | M Style Grilles | Gloss Black Roof | Custom Steering Wheel | Autotecknic Competition Shift Paddles [YMB]
Instagram: @icyj95 | FB

Last edited by Icy J; 09-14-2010 at 03:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 03:00 AM   #3
kenken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 323I

Drive faster than them????
Actually I just avoid them if I can’t drive faster than them…. But if you hit them you are in a lose lose situation…..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 04:18 AM   #4
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Whoa, that third video is real interesting. I wonder who is to blame, the scooter or the car driver. The scooter did'nt signal or shoulder check before changing lanes. The car driver seems to be speeding...

Anyway, the trick to driving in HK is simple, many drivers, especially those taxis and red minibuses, all have death wishes. By my estimate, more then half of them will be shot if they drive like that in the states (since we Americans are armed, and we don't take kindly to aggressive driving). Give them a wide berth and you will be fine. Ignore the provocations. Your car, yes, even your used 325i, is worth more then their cheap toyota crowns or minibus. Remember, you drive a BMW now, so you are supposed to be a better driver, or maybe not:

Last edited by Wolfman; 09-14-2010 at 04:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 04:28 AM   #5
trekker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90LCI

I am driving an E90 325i as well and I found the acceleration is more than enough to overtake those mini buses and taxys easily. If overtaking is not ideal then I would just stay away from them as much as I can. However alot of them are actually not as bad as people say, I actually reckon those vans and 5.5T are the worest especially those younger drivers.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker View Post
I am driving an E90 325i as well and I found the acceleration is more than enough to overtake those mini buses and taxys easily. If overtaking is not ideal then I would just stay away from them as much as I can. However alot of them are actually not as bad as people say, I actually reckon those vans and 5.5T are the worest especially those younger drivers.

I agree those van drivers are no better. I wish I could also share your optimistic view of taxi and minibus drivers. I'm sure some of them are decent and alright. But many I see on the roads are a menace to other road users. They just ruined what would otherwise be a pleasant drive in my bmw, everytime. They never ever let you cut in front of them. Every time I signal, they just accelerate so that there will be no space for me. Likewise, every taxi driver here must tailgate other drivers. Apparently they never learnt the proper distances to keep between cars.

Of course, I should'nt single out those drivers only, as I've also encounter a fair share of reckless and dangerous bmw drivers, hehehe. But I'm sure it's none of you guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
superdx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i E92 SG

It sounds like you're from North America. When I first started driving in HK I had the same thoughts - no one ever ever ever lets you in front of them, especially during a traffic jam. You may signal and everything but people just don't yield. You kind of have to adapt and nudge your car into a space such that the 3-4 jerks that don't yield will go by, but your car will be so far into the next lane that the 5th guy won't have any choice but to let you in or risk a collision.

Goes against everything I was taught in Canada, that's for sure. I think if I went back to Toronto and drove in traffic, people would hate my guts.

At any rate, sooner or later some taxi or minibus is gonna blow past you and you'll be like WTF. There really isn't anything you can do about it. Or vice versa, you can be going faster than everyone else most of the time (buy a radar detector first) so that you are in control of what happens.

Keep in mind with basic sport suspension you can already take corners and ramps much much faster than a taxi or minibus, so you'll never be at a disadvantage. In a straight line you'll probably win as well. I usually find that by blowing past these minivans at corners 20-30km/h higher than they can puts them in their place. It's a very odd sense of accomplishment that when you blow past a minivan doing 90+, they'll probably start to decelerate and you've just made all the passengers on that minivan a little safer. It's twisted logic, but it's also sadly true.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdx View Post
It sounds like you're from North America. When I first started driving in HK I had the same thoughts - no one ever ever ever lets you in front of them, especially during a traffic jam. You may signal and everything but people just don't yield. You kind of have to adapt and nudge your car into a space such that the 3-4 jerks that don't yield will go by, but your car will be so far into the next lane that the 5th guy won't have any choice but to let you in or risk a collision.

Goes against everything I was taught in Canada, that's for sure. I think if I went back to Toronto and drove in traffic, people would hate my guts.

At any rate, sooner or later some taxi or minibus is gonna blow past you and you'll be like WTF. There really isn't anything you can do about it. Or vice versa, you can be going faster than everyone else most of the time (buy a radar detector first) so that you are in control of what happens.

Keep in mind with basic sport suspension you can already take corners and ramps much much faster than a taxi or minibus, so you'll never be at a disadvantage. In a straight line you'll probably win as well. I usually find that by blowing past these minivans at corners 20-30km/h higher than they can puts them in their place. It's a very odd sense of accomplishment that when you blow past a minivan doing 90+, they'll probably start to decelerate and you've just made all the passengers on that minivan a little safer. It's twisted logic, but it's also sadly true.

I came back to HK for quite a while now, it's just I did'nt really drive much in HK (since I did'nt have a car!) prior to getting this 325i. I don't really care if other cars blow past me, I drive at my own rate, why should I be brought down to their level? Besides, I actually do drive faster then the average car on the road, but certainly not the fastest. There is of course the danger of getting into more serious accidents with higher speeds, The thing that bothers me is those dangerous drivers will get me into an accident. It just pissed me off when I'm minding my own business and then some prick has to cut in front of me in a dangerous way, like that taxi driver in the first video above.

Speaking of radar detectors, know any good ones? You know ones that can catch all (or most of) the radar bands. My friend had a detector which turned out it wasn't that great since it could'nt catch many of the speed cameras, and he ended up having many points deducted.

Last edited by JohnMan; 09-14-2010 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:32 AM   #9
trekker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90LCI

Quote:
It just pissed me off when I'm minding my own business and then some prick has to cut in front of me in a dangerous way, like that taxi driver in the first video above
I guess installing the car camera may help a bit. You have everything recorded and if thing goes wrong then you got something to back you up. You can also report to the police if you think someone drives dangerous even without any accident.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker View Post
I guess installing the car camera may help a bit. You have everything recorded and if thing goes wrong then you got something to back you up. You can also report to the police if you think someone drives dangerous even without any accident.
Good idea, although I think I will get a radar detector first. Even if I do get a camera, I probably won't film speeding cars, 'cause I sometimes go over the limit myself, hehehe (besides, I got no problem if you hit the gas to the max so long as you don't pose a threat to anyone else). I will use it only to catch dangerous driving behaviour like those videos above.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
superdx
Private First Class
Rep

Get a Valentine 1, most everyone here has one

Most of the stores in Mong Kok will sell the Passport 9800 which from what I hear is pretty decent
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 04:06 AM   #12
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Get a Valentine 1, most everyone here has one

Most of the stores in Mong Kok will sell the Passport 9800 which from what I hear is pretty decent

Thanks for the suggestion, how much do they cost? Know any specific trustworthy and reliable shops where I can buy it from?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 04:39 AM   #13
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
are there any radar detectors in hk which warns you when you approach an area with a camera? they were very common in japan. you could use an SD card to update the database.
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
superdx
Private First Class
Rep

I saw those all over Akihabara and even in Bic Camera, I was hoping they'd work in HK

But the Japanese radar detectors aren't good for HK, they detect fewer radar bands. Some of them don't detect at all and rely on the real-time information that's fed to them from AM/FM sources.

But no... nothing like that for HK, everyone knows where the stupid cameras are anyways, lol.

I just PM'd you the shop where I got mine installed, you can check them out. It's a little pricey as they do some custom wiring to avoid the cabling mess of just sticking it in the cigarette adapter.

Well worth it though. I have 6 points just from this year and the detector saved me once going 130km/h+ in a 50km/h zone... it's already paid for itself!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #15
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
I saw those all over Akihabara and even in Bic Camera, I was hoping they'd work in HK

But the Japanese radar detectors aren't good for HK, they detect fewer radar bands. Some of them don't detect at all and rely on the real-time information that's fed to them from AM/FM sources.

But no... nothing like that for HK, everyone knows where the stupid cameras are anyways, lol.

I just PM'd you the shop where I got mine installed, you can check them out. It's a little pricey as they do some custom wiring to avoid the cabling mess of just sticking it in the cigarette adapter.

Well worth it though. I have 6 points just from this year and the detector saved me once going 130km/h+ in a 50km/h zone... it's already paid for itself!
Please PM me shop info and approx cost
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #16
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the pm, much appreciated! So can I tell them I know you so they can give me a bargain? How much do those radar detectors cost nowadays? Haha.
Now why would you be doing 130+km in a 50 km soon? Hehehe. You racing with other cars? I don't think that's such a good idea to street race! I hope you have good enough driving skills to avoid accidents at those speeds, since going at such speeds in a 50 km zone is pretty hazardous. Of course, I'm not really that much better, since I did 180 km in a 100 km zone once, but only for a brief burst and only if the traffic condition allows (i.e little to no traffic-and I never race, just like to hit the gas on occasion-if I see some cars driving aggressively behind me, I just let them pass-I'm not that good a driver to race anyway, haha).

Last edited by JohnMan; 09-16-2010 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0