2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Dynamic Handling Package - any comments?

09-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
chrisB7
Rep
Drives: 07 LS460

Dynamic Handling Package - any comments?

Hi All,

I'm considering 550i xDrive and would appreciate any comments regarding Dynamic Handling Package - is it worth the money?

DHP comes with
  • Electronic Damping Control
  • Active Roll Stabilization (ARS)
  • Adaptive Drive
  • Sport Package

Altogether $4,900. Is it really worth spending 5K? Will I notice any significant difference with a base car without ARS and EDC?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisB7 View Post
Altogether $4,900. Is it really worth spending 5K?
It is worth it to me and I'm ordering it together with the Integral Assisted Steering. They just make the car more fun to drive, crisper turn-in and a more controlled ride that is firm and supple at the same time. You can always set it to comfort for those times when you are just cruising with friends and want the car to have a cushy and quiet ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

My earlier comment (with slight revisions)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
As mentioned I was expecting my F10's chassis' in sport mode with adaptive drive to be very tight, as BMW mentioned that it was supposed to make the chassis tighter than M sport suspension. The sport mode is about right (as I prefer it even tighter so that there is greater variance between normal and sport), and the comfort mode is redundant. There is not any M sport suspension F10 for me to test but I really doubt M sport suspension is less tight than adaptive drive in sport mode. A forummer LARS mentioned the M sport suspension feels the same as dynamic damping in sport mode http://f10.5post.com/forums/showpost...9&postcount=23

My view is that the M sport suspension may be a better choice, much more economical, not needing to keep on pressing for sport whenever the car is started, and with less parts to go faulty. The main disadvantage is that it does not have the active anti-roll bars (which are highly effective and good) that come with adaptive drive but after market fixed bars may be an option. My tyres are Contisport 18 inch runflats, and my guess (and it's only a guess) is that the ride would still be fine with 19 inch.

ps I'm not sure whether the standard setup is tighter than adaptive drive's normal mode.
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426668

ps caveat, my views above are for smooth roads. If there's plenty of rough roads, people have commented that adaptive drive/VDC is fine, maybe also the standard suspension.

Last edited by bm323; 09-18-2010 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 05:30 AM   #4
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Seriously?

This issue may be the most exhaustively (if even mis-opinionated by nonowners) topic on this forum. There is probably too much available here and most of the well written discussions by actual owners I am sure will not be reposted.

Should certainly look back through the past few months of threads if your seriously interested.
      09-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
Seriously?
This issue may be the most exhaustively (if even mis-opinionated by nonowners) topic on this forum.
As a non-owner on this thread who has posted a comment I feel the need to respond to your reference to my opinion.

There is no such thing as a mis-opinion. An opinion is an opinion, you may agree or disagree with it but there is no right or wrong about it. Please do not dismiss the opinion of a non-owner because you believe it is less informed than yours.

If you meant something else by your comment as in people who are opinionated are wrong, then please disregard my comments because you are also entitled to your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Seriously?
This is second only to the steering (non)-issue.

@chrisb7
The 5 grand is only worth it if you are the type of person who likes to adjust your suspension settings. Carve up and down canyon roads when you get the chance, etc. If you are the kind of person that just likes to kick back and drive on the open highway in the lap of luxury, then you don't need the
ZDH - Dynamic Handling Package
ZSP - Sport Package
(careful with the use of acronyms to describe options, it can confuse people)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Let me clarify by using the world icon of Le Bigmac ...

If I never had a Bigmac before and wanted to try it but was nervous if it tasted as good as a, lets see, Whopper and I asked three people what a Bigmac was like, one never had a Bigmac before, one had one once at one location, and another eats Bigmacs everyday across the same region that the inquiring lived in ... which opinions are valid and worthy?

In relation to this thread ...
1. The man who has never had a Bigmac but provides an opinion is found all over this forum as the same man who offers his own opinions on a car he has never driven, pretty absurd but occurs all the time.

2. The man who had one Bigmac at one location is the also found here as well. He's the guy that drove an F10 once, down one stretch of road, most probably in a controlled environment with a salesmen sitting next to him, if not, the driver is overly cautious not to incur and damages, etc.

3. Then there is the guy who eats Bigmacs everyday across the region that the inquiring will be dining in. He is the owner of the F10, drives everyday, is comfortable with his car and applies it in all sorts of settings.

On this forum, overwhelming, folks in group 3 praise the F10. So I ask you, which opinion are you going to put stock in, for me I can care less what 1 and 2 have to say.

This may be a little harsh but I have been a fairly active poster on this forum since the day I considered trading up to the F10 550, at this point the daily posting by folks pounding on some issues of the F10 that they deem problematic is getting nauseating to the point that it tastes like eating a Bigmac with rancid meat.

Hmmm, think I will drive my Bavarian Beast to the local McD's and order a Bigmac cause they taste good.

Last edited by delvek; 09-18-2010 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: cleaning up of analogy
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

The reason that many of the BMW faithful here do not care for the steering quality of the F10 is that it less than what we had with the E60. I have had 4 5ers in the last 10 years. The F10 has the worst steering of those 5ers. The steering on the F10 sucks. I am sure that BMW is working on a software or hardware fix.

With the techno wizardry the Adaptive Drive can do everything but nothing particularly well. People buy BMWs for many reasons including the expectation that the car will steer and perform well as a sports sedan. We don't buy them because we love techno wizardry that yield a sports sedan with an artificial feeling. Other than that the F10 is a fine car.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Pharding I respect your comments, you have a solid knowledge base on the evolution of the 5 series. I have to disagree with you, I think the steering is very smooth and like cutting butter at high speeds, its a dream to me. If its a little soft at slow speed, I can understand the concern there, and at times it feels more soft then I would like it to but for some to categorically defile the car based on reviews they are reading truly does no justice for just how amazing a car the F10 (in my case the 550) truly is.

I also think coming from an M, your holding a non M 5 series to unrealistic expectations. If your current driver is an M, to truly compare your drive and opinions you should wait for the F10 M to do so.

I can tell you from first hand daily experience this car slices through rise and dropping slopping bends at 130mph sustained for long periods of time like NO other car I have owned including my e60 535.
      09-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
The reason that many of the BMW faithful here do not care for the steering quality of the F10 is that it less than what we had with the E60. I have had 4 5ers in the last 10 years. The F10 has the worst steering of those 5ers. The steering on the F10 sucks. I am sure that BMW is working on a software or hardware fix.

With the techno wizardry the Adaptive Drive can do everything but nothing particularly well. People buy BMWs for many reasons including the expectation that the car will steer and perform well as a sports sedan. We don't buy them because we love techno wizardry that yield a sports sedan with an artificial feeling. Other than that the F10 is a fine car.
I have one request if it is convenient for you. Test drive a F10 without IAS (as Í'm not sure whether IAS affects the steering as mentioned by a few reviewers but not accepted by some) with its tyres pressured to the higher end as marked at the side of the car even though you may be the only 1 person in the F10. So far, if I'm correct, you and solstice (in the other forum ) are the only ones who own F10s and have objections to the steering.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Having driven an F10 530d today with Adaptive Drive (no IAS, no sport autobox) for three hours, on all kinds of roads and then back to back with a basic setup F11 520d over much of the same course, I've come away feeling cars can be so so different, the steering particularly so. (I've had drives in 4 different setups, driving over the same roads). I'll come back with more points once I've sorted it all out in my mind.

But I must say, the Adaptive Drive option is a superb bit of kit and I'd definitely have it on any F10/11 that I buy. But not perfect, over the roads I tried, I'll explain later.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Hey Pete, look forward to your analysis. I remember reading now that you post this that you were going to have this drive appointment. If your going to do a comparo post that would be great, list the specifics of each car and your impressions you took away from your various appointments over the last few months.
      09-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If I never had a Bigmac before and wanted to try it but was nervous if it tasted as good as a, lets see, Whopper and I asked three people what a Bigmac was like, one never had a Bigmac before, one had one once at one location, and another eats Bigmacs everyday across the same region that the inquiring lived in ... which opinions are valid and worthy?

In relation to this thread ...
The man who has never had a Bigmac but providing an opinion is found all over this forum as the same man who offers his own opinions on a car he has never driven, pretty absurd but occurs all the time.

2. The man who had one Bigmac at one location is the also found and hes the guy that drove an F10 once down one stretch of road, most probably in a controlled environment with a salesmen sitting next to him, if not the driver is overly cautious not to incur and damages, etc.

3. Then there is the guy who eats Bigmacs everyday across the region that the inquiring will be dining in. He is the owner of the F10, drives everyday, is comfortable with his car and applies it possibilities in all sorts of settings.

Overwhelming, folks in group 3 praise the F10, which opinion are you going to put stock in, for me I can care less what 1 and 2 have to say.

This may be a little harsh but I have been a fairly active poster on this forum since the day I considered trading up to the F10 550, at this point the daily posting by folks pounding on some issues of the F10 that they deem problematic is getting nauseating to the point that it tastes like eating a Bigmac with rancid meat.
Like I said, you are entitled to your opinion . . .
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #14
pharding
Major
Rep

Quote:
Pharding I respect your comments, you have a solid knowledge base on the evolution of the 5 series. I have to disagree with you, I think the steering is very smooth and like cutting butter at high speeds, its a dream to me. If its a little soft at slow speed, I can understand the concern there, and at times it feels more soft then I would like it to but for some to categorically defile the car based on reviews they are reading truly does no justice for just how amazing a car the F10 (in my case the 550) truly is.

I also think coming from an M, your holding a non M 5 series to unrealistic expectations. If your current driver is an M, to truly compare your drive and opinions you should wait for the F10 M to do so.

I can tell you from first hand daily experience this car slices through rise and dropping slopping bends at 130mph sustained for long periods of time like NO other car I have owned including my e60 535.
Please come to Chicago when my Euro Delivery arrives in about 10 days and we will drive my 2008 550i M-Sport back to back with my 2011 550i. We will objectively evaluate the steering and Adaptive Drive. I am going to do this as objectively as possible. Both cars have similar equipment and tires with approximately 1200 miles on them.

This offer is open to you and any other member of this forum or Bimmerfest.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Hey Pete, look forward to your analysis. I remember reading now that you post this that you were going to have this drive appointment. If your going to do a comparo post that would be great, list the specifics of each car and your impressions you took away from your various appointments over the last few months.
I'm hoping to do just as you suggest, otherwise it won't mean much to others. I just need to get it down on paper. May not be until tomorrow as I need to look back at some of my previous comments, on the first tests in the 530d and 535i, as they are so relevant to today's tests.

BTW, the F11 is a superb bit of kit, so well made and finished. A customer was taking delivery when I arrived at the garage, oyster/black inside, so got a chance to see my 'first choice' straight away. The F10 530d I tested today was also oyster/black inside, superb driving environment, IMO.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #16
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

@ Pharding, would love to come but from Germany its a bit of a hike for me pharding but i will say that your e60 550 M should provide better handling response then the F10 550i, I look forward to your analysis and the final result.

You shouldve dropped an invite when your picked up your BMW at the Welt, I wouldve met up with you somewhere and done a mini F10 550 drive. I do hope you enjoyed your time here in Germany, maybe next time.

@ Pete, will be watching it, I used much of your original feedback months ago to help build my preorder and think your write ups are very objective. I only wish that you drove a performance packaged 550i as well.

@ 1Hot, I live in a country right now that free speech isnt a right, one must choose their words wisely or be censored!
      09-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #17
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Pretty funny, great analogy.
I went shopping for a car, not a engine, or a steering box, or some rims. The F10 is greater than the sum of it's parts. Is it perfect, no. But it's better than anything else out there at this price range.
Mercedes E
Audi A6
Jaguar XF
Infiniti M
Acura RL
Lexus GS
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #18
vortexx
Rep
Drives: 550i M-Sport ED ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
Is it perfect, no. But it's better than anything else out there at this price range.
Precisely.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #19
pharding
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek
...You shouldve dropped an invite when your picked up your BMW at the Welt, I wouldve met up with you somewhere and done a mini F10 550 drive. I do hope you enjoyed your time here in Germany, maybe next time.
In 2013 I will be back to Germany. I will look you up and we can test whatever BMW I get next. This summer we visited Munich, Prague, Dresden, BMW Plant in Leipzig, Hamburg, Emsburen, Bremerhaven, and Bremen. My wife and I have visited Germany 6 times. Germany and German people are awesome.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #20
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

In 2013 I will certainly still be here and will probably be keeping my 500i at least for 3 years as well. Be fun to meet up and do a drive. All those places are great spots to visit.
      09-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #21
tadtaggert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post

I have an E60 535i in the garage, my father died a little over a year ago and left it to me (I got my love of cars from him), but I don't drive it because I don't like it. The steering is stiff (common in BMW's), the steering wheel feels like someone put a quarter in the vibrating bed, the center of gravity is too high and the only thing that compensates is that the suspension is so stiff. I'm not saying it's a bad car, but it has only one purpose, and if it's to be a 'sports car' there are many other cars out there that are better suited.

The term 'sports sedan' is an oxymoron, what it means is it's a sedan that feels a bit like a sports car. BMW is good at this, very good, but the significant majority of people that buy BMW's (specifically in the 5 series) use them for more purposes than a sports car. The F10 is the direct result of feedback from BMW drivers, whether you like it or not.

You've driven a lot of 5's. Go out and get some experience with other cars that use double A-arms, chapman struts, anything but the McPherson's up front. No question there is a difference between the E60 and F10, for me the E60 is the one that is deficient.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #22
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC Donington Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
Pretty funny, great analogy.
I went shopping for a car, not a engine, or a steering box, or some rims. The F10 is greater than the sum of it's parts. Is it perfect, no. But it's better than anything else out there at this price range.
Mercedes E
Audi A6
Jaguar XF
Infiniti M
Acura RL
Lexus GS

I perfectly agree.
Appreciate 0