E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Windscreen Cracked!!!

01-18-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

Windscreen Cracked!!!

I was happily driving down the road yesterday when I heard a loud noise. I knew straight away something had hit my car. I looked around I could see few cracks in my windscreen. (Top right corner looking from outside)

My insurance company is saying they only use RAC which owns Auto windscreens and they only give 3 year guarantee on workmanship, WTF! It should be the cars expected lifetime. I really want to take it to the BMW Dealer and let them take care of it but insurance company saying I cannot do that. Does any one recomend this RAC company. Onther thing is I don't think they use BMW original windscreen they make there own.

What Should I do??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
BMWer
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SE '07

Sorry to hear that mate. Don't panic, just call RAC or Auto Screen and tell them you want a BMW OEM screen to match. They may say to you the alternative is just as good, but if you show them your insistence, they will get it for you from BMW.

E92 335i SE '07

Sparkling Graphite | Black Leather(should have gone for Saddle Brown) | Alu Trim | 18" 189 style | Step w/paddles | iDrive | SatNav-Pro | Bluetooth | F+R PDC | Heated Seats | R Electric Sunblind

Ordered: 24/11/2006
Delivered: 04/01/2007
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
shtfrginger
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPinUK
I was happily driving down the road yesterday when I heard a loud noise. I knew straight away something had hit my car. I looked around I could see few cracks in my windscreen. (Top right corner looking from outside)

My insurance company is saying they only use RAC which owns Auto windscreens and they only give 3 year guarantee on workmanship, WTF! It should be the cars expected lifetime. I really want to take it to the BMW Dealer and let them take care of it but insurance company saying I cannot do that. Does any one recomend this RAC company. Onther thing is I don't think they use BMW original windscreen they make there own.

What Should I do??
I had a similar problem with a cracked windscreen when driving my son's Porsche whilst he was out of the country. The insurance company also insisted on me using RAC Windscreens and for the same reason as you I protested due to suspect quality and possible mismatch. The insurance company (Admiral) did give in a bit and offered to pay up to 25% towards my dealing direct with Porsche but the windsceen was gouing to cost me £500+. Thefeore I reluctantly decided to go with the RAC option but upon speaking with the manager of the shop he told me that each windscreen is provided my the manufacturer anyway even to the point where the replacement is matched to the Car's chassis number thus ensuring best fit and quality. I must admit when the screen arrived it was protected with packaging clearly marked as Porsche and their workmanship in fitting it was excellent so I did'nt worry after that. I assume that although RAC are stating 3 years warranty this could be their warranty for fitting the screen and not that of the actual windscreen. I assume its the same for BMW. However check with BMW UK (0800 325600) if they too have a similar contract with RAC Windscreens. Good luck mate
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Is the manager of that shop suggesting that a windscreen from one E90 won't necessarily fit another E90 in the best manner? What do they do, have a form made up for each and every car manufactured, marked with the VIN? Sorry, but Eli Whitney eliminated that need over 200 years ago. Pardon me while I ROFLOL.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
shtfrginger
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank
Is the manager of that shop suggesting that a windscreen from one E90 won't necessarily fit another E90 in the best manner? What do they do, have a form made up for each and every car manufactured, marked with the VIN? Sorry, but Eli Whitney eliminated that need over 200 years ago. Pardon me while I ROFLOL.
Know what you mean Floyd it seemed a bit far fetched to me. But what I did fail to mention was the Porsche was a new model 996 and it took 3 weeks from notifying RAC to them getting the windscreen (I assume from Porsche) and then arranging a fitting date for a week or so later so I assume that in this time they carried out the necessary enquiries to get the correct screen ....mmm the more I think about it maybe it was about matching it to the VIN and what he meant to say was that the process ensured a clean match to the model? Either way reports on the screen so far is its still holding good and that was nearly two years ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
The only experience that I've had of Auto Windscreens was not the best. My Dad used them to replace a 'screen on a Focus. The 'screen was okay, but the trim underneath wasn't put back properly.

I've always had to use Auloglass (through various insurers) and have always found them to be good. I do always make sure to go to their premises though to make sure they have all the tools and help at hand to do the best job possible.

In a spooky coincidence the sales director at work had Autoglass replace the 'screen replaced on his E60 today. All done with the car nosed into the loading bay so the fitter could get out of the wind. The cost of that 'screen without going thru' insurance would have been £450.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
sorry to hear that. we use safelite..

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
CardinalZeus77
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 Carrera S

Garage List
Sorry to hear about that. I have always used Autoglass and have found them to be very professional.
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 06:24 AM   #9
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys for the feed back. I cant have the work carried out by autoglass because my insurance company only use auto windscreen (RAC). So I guess I will just have to use them and hope for the best. I have already contacted them and told them i want an original BMW windscreen and the guy kindly said he will order me one in. The guy also said that I will have to take the car to their workshop due to the new screen being an original one (don't know why it makes a difference). So I got it booked in for Thursday and when I get there I'm going to ask yo see the new windscreen first. I will let you know how it all turns out.

NP
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 06:30 AM   #10
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPinUK View Post
The guy also said that I will have to take the car to their workshop due to the new screen being an original one (don't know why it makes a difference).
NP
Anything to do with heat required to bond the new screen properly... perhaps?

Only thing that might be worth checking is that everything looks as it should round the area of the rain sensor unit, but let us know how you get on.
      01-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #11
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep

Had my new windscreen fitted today by auto-windscreen. They ordered me in a BMW windscreen as they had promised and the work carried out seems to be of a good standard however time will tell if the seals last. When i arrived there with my car this morning I told them theres no scratces/marks inside/outside of the car and too look after it so they got the picture. They told me this is the first e90 they have done after the work was carried out (I wonder why). I asked them about guarantee and they said normally three years but if any thing happens after that period to take it back and they will sort it out. The staff were very friendly and I would use the same people again. So any one in Nottingham that needs to use them I wouldn't worry too much. Overall am happy my cars back in one piece so now I can enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #12
shtfrginger
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Had my new windscreen fitted today by auto-windscreen. They ordered me in a BMW windscreen as they had promised and the work carried out seems to be of a good standard however time will tell if the seals last. When i arrived there with my car this morning I told them theres no scratces/marks inside/outside of the car and too look after it so they got the picture. They told me this is the first e90 they have done after the work was carried out (I wonder why). I asked them about guarantee and they said normally three years but if any thing happens after that period to take it back and they will sort it out. The staff were very friendly and I would use the same people again. So any one in Nottingham that needs to use them I wouldn't worry too much. Overall am happy my cars back in one piece so now I can enjoy!
Glad you got it sorted.

Its here!!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #13
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtfrginger View Post
Glad you got it sorted.
Thanks, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 11:16 AM   #14
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Should be fine. The guarantee seems OK to me ... let's face it the BMW warranty on the car is only 3 years.

I'll be using the same outfit to do mine soon - I have a 10p size crack from a stone.
Appreciate 0