2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 jacking points

09-23-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

F10 jacking points

Can anyone tell me if the above are removable plastic receptacles; even better, perhaps take a photo if you have the time?
I want to order a 'Clarke' low entry trolley jack, which has a flat rubber pad instead of the usual steel cup. Perfect if I can get it under the flat part of the sill, but no good if I can't easily remove the plastic jack point.
Any advice much appreciated - thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Wow, 161 views and only my own reply to preclude total paranoia
Hope this steals me pole position - could really do with some feedback on this one folks - please...
I'm getting the car very soon and I'd like to have the right jack beforehand. Sure, I could go and have a look at an F10 in the showroom, but it's a 50 mile round trip.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Wow, 161 views and only my own reply to preclude total paranoia
Hope this steals me pole position - could really do with some feedback on this one folks - please...
I'm getting the car very soon and I'd like to have the right jack beforehand. Sure, I could go and have a look at an F10 in the showroom, but it's a 50 mile round trip.

Jon D, I'll chime in. First, yes the square jack pads are indeed removable. I assume this only as they seem to be the same style as started on the E39 series five. My recomendation though is to use them as installed and try to find a jack that fits low enough below the car so you can use them. If you look at Gatoman's Oil Change Thread in this forum, there are some pictures you can see of how he jacked up the car. Hope this answers you questions.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
Jon D, I'll chime in. First, yes the square jack pads are indeed removable. I assume this only as they seem to be the same style as started on the E39 series five. My recomendation though is to use them as installed and try to find a jack that fits low enough below the car so you can use them. If you look at Gatoman's Oil Change Thread in this forum, there are some pictures you can see of how he jacked up the car. Hope this answers you questions.
Thanks Ghueser, it sounds as if they're similar to those on my E92 and when I first tried using a trolley jack I heard some ominous cracking noises. Admittedly, I was using a traditional cup type jack, which would have put an element of lateral compression on the jack points, so I subsequently used a flat piece of steel, but it's an extra component between jack and car, which makes for a less than secure platform.
I know you can get aluminium adaptors to fit inside the hollow jack points, but I've not seen them for sale in the UK.
Do you know if the jack points will be ok with a flat hard rubber pad, such as on the Clarke jack I'm considering?
Thanks to the link to Gatoman's oil change - I'll have a look.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
If you look at Gatoman's Oil Change Thread in this forum, there are some pictures you can see of how he jacked up the car. Hope this answers you questions.
Just checked Gatoman's excellent write-up; my what a shiny garage floor
That jack looks very similar to the one I'm considering, even down to the blue anodized aluminium frame - bet they're all made in the same factory and they just put different stickers on.
Looks like a flat rubber jack-pad will be just fine.
Thanks for your help with that and for alleviating my paranoia
Appreciate 0