2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Edmunds - Long-Term Test: 2011 BMW 528i

09-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Edmunds - Long-Term Test: 2011 BMW 528i

Many of you who read the Insideline Blog, may already know, this is a good real world blog about a car. It's day to day life and updated quite frequently. So triumphs and failures tend to manifest themselves over time. This is a much better over all real world review then some arbitrary test drive by one or two magazine editors.

Quote:
Edmunds Insideline - Long-Term Test: 2011 BMW 528i

By Mike Schmidt, Vehicle Testing Manager | Published Sep 28, 2010

BMW built the first 5 Series almost 40 years ago. Since its inception BMW has used the 5 to bridge the gap between the small, nimble 3 Series and the stately, luxurious 7 Series. For years the 5 did so gracefully, all the while maintaining its status as a true driver's car. Meanwhile, priorities were changing.

Over time the BMW brand and model lines evolved. In 1999 it entered the SUV market with the X5. In 2008 the 1 Series was launched in the U.S. as the 3 Series, 5 Series and 7 Series sedans gradually grew in proportion. But with increased dimensions comes increased weight. Weight puts a strain on maneuverability and acceleration. After five generations of this process BMW has arrived at the 2011 BMW 5 Series. Does its size now move it out of the niche it held for so long? Is this the year the 5 Series falls from its perch upon the luxury-sport fence and has to choose a side?

In the past we've tested a long-term 1 Series, 3 Series and 7 Series. We've yet to send a 5 Series through our 12-month test gauntlet. With the changes to the 2011 BMW 5 Series, it seems the time has come.

What We Got
Our decision to add a 5 Series to the long-term fleet was easy. It was more difficult to choose which variation of the sedan to test. Eight cylinders built a strong case for the 550i and under normal circumstances would seal the deal. But we were looking for something different. The turbocharged inline-6 of the 535i ranks among the best engines on the market. But again, that would be the obvious choice. We instead opted for the normally aspirated, direct-injected 240-horsepower inline-6 of the 2011 BMW 528i.

Base MSRP on the entry-level 528i was just over $45,000. We loaded it with every option under the sun, inflating the price to $60,050 and essentially equaling the starting MSRP of a 550i. Comfort is important to us. Our Deep Sea Blue Metallic 5 has it all: keyless entry, heated seats and steering wheel, rearview camera, side- and top-view cameras, split-fold rear seat, navigation, eight-speed automatic and Sport package, including 18-inch Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT tires.

For 2011 the 5 Series is significantly redesigned. This is our primary motivation for adding a 2011 BMW 528i to the fleet. But we question whether these updates are all for the better.

Why We Got It
BMW overhauled the 5 Series for this, its sixth generation. Over the years we watched the 5 grow like a healthy American waistline and there is no hiding it now. For 2011 it is longer, wider and heavier than those before it. It's large enough to be confused with a 7 Series, and for good reason. To support its new dimensions the 5 now sits atop a platform derived from the 7. At some point the added size is going to tip the previously held balance between luxury and performance. Is this the year? Does the luxury of the 5 outweigh its dynamic attributes? Or is it still a driver's car?

The eight-speed automatic transmission is also new for 2011. Our full test of the 535i only scratched the surface. Senior Editor Josh Jacquot noted, "That the 535i is available with an eight-speed automatic transmission — about three too many speeds in some situations — is emblematic of the newest generation of the company's core midsize sport-luxury sedan. This is an exponentially more complex thing than the car you first met as the 5 Series." To uncover the true character of the new 5, we are going to need more time.

BMW spends almost as much time fine-tuning the driving dynamics of each vehicle as it does inside the cabin. There is a reason we didn't skimp on the options for our 528i. We want to test all of the extras. In addition to offering an array of powertrain and chassis adjustments at the push of a button, BMW also tweaked the interior to accommodate the drive more comfortably. A slight reorientation of the controls toward the driver was thoughtful. Will we notice? And the fourth generation of iDrive promises more ease of use than prior iterations. Will the electronic gadgetry win us over or leave us wanting more? There is only one way to find out.

We ordered our 2011 BMW 528i and reserved a space for it in our long-term test garage. Next up, we drive it for 12 months and 20,000 miles.

Current Odometer: 1,035
Best Fuel Economy: 29.1 mpg
Worst Fuel Economy: 19.3 mpg
Average Fuel Economy: 24.0 mpg

The manufacturer provided Edmunds this vehicle for the purposes of evaluation.

Specs & Performance
Vehicle
Year Make Model 2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)
Vehicle Type RWD 4dr 5-passenger Sedan
Base MSRP $45,425
Options on test vehicle Deep Sea Blue Metallic Paint ($550), Convenience Package ($1,700), Cold Weather Package ($1,050), Premium Package ($4,500), Sport Package ($2,200), Sport Automatic Transmission ($500), Ski Bag ($150), Split-Folding Rear Seat ($475), Side- and Top-View Cameras ($800), Xenon Headlights ($900)
As-tested MSRP $60,050
Assembly location Dingolfing, Germany
North American parts content (%) 5
Drivetrain
Configuration Longitudinal, front-engine, rear-wheel drive
Engine type Inline-6
Displacement (cc/cu-in) 2,996cc (183 cu-in)
Block/head material Magnesium/aluminum
Valvetrain Double overhead camshaft
Compression ratio (x:1) 10.7
Redline, indicated (rpm) 6,750
Fuel cutoff/rev limiter (rpm) 6,750
Horsepower (hp @ rpm) 240 @ 6,600
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm) 230 @ 2,600
Fuel type Premium unleaded (required)
Transmission type Eight-speed automatic
Transmission ratios (x:1) I: 4.714, II: 3.143, III: 2.106, IV: 1.667, V: 1.285, VI: 1.000, VII: -.0839, VIII: -0.667
Final-drive ratio (x:1) 3.385
Chassis
Suspension, front Independent multilink with two lower control arms and double ball joints, coil springs, stabilizer bar
Suspension, rear Independent multilink, coil springs, stabilizer bar
Steering type Electric speed-proportional power steering
Tire make and model Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT
Tire type Performance summer
Tire size P245/45R18 front and rear
Wheel size 18-by-8 inches front and rear
Wheel material Alloy
Brakes, front 13.7-inch ventilated discs with single-piston sliding calipers
Brakes, rear 13.6-inch ventilated discs with single-piston sliding calipers
Fuel Consumption
EPA fuel economy (mpg) 22 city/32 highway/25 combined
Fuel tank capacity (U.S. gal.) 18.5
Driving range (mi.) 592
Dimensions & Capacities
Curb weight, mfr. claim (lbs.) 3,814
Length (in.) 193.1
Width (in.) 73.2
Height (in.) 57.6
Wheelbase (in.) 116.9
Track, front (in.) 63.0
Track, rear (in.) 64.1
Legroom, front (in.) 41.4
Legroom, rear (in.) 36.1
Headroom, front (in.) 40.5
Headroom, rear (in.) 38.3
Shoulder room, front (in.) 58.3
Shoulder room, rear (in.) 56.2
Seating capacity 5
Tow capacity, mfr. claim (lbs.) Not Published
Warranty
Bumper-to-bumper 4 years/50,000 miles
Powertrain 4 years/50,000 miles
Corrosion 12 years/Unlimited miles
Roadside assistance 4 years/Unlimited miles
Free scheduled maintenance 4 years/50,000 miles
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
an auspicious start to say the least. 1st post!
Wow, this is bad...

Quote:
2011 BMW 528i: Check Engine Light Already

Last week Kelly had you guessing as to why we were sitting at Long Beach BMW in the long-term Flex. Well, we were there for a check engine light on our new addition, the 2011 BMW 528i.

Our OBD code reader would not read the proprietary BMW code, though it did allow us to clear it. So we did. And later that day it returned. We made a 9am appointment and arrived early. "The check engine light is on," we explained to our advisor. She took some notes and left us with a, "We'll take a look and call you in a couple of hours with an update. Want a rental car?." We declined the rental because it was more hassle than benefit, and were on our way.

At 3pm that afternoon we called and left a voicemail. An hour later our advisor called, "The tech hasn't looked at your car yet. Something came up and he was too busy to look at it. I will call you tomorrow with an update. Want a rental car?" Again, we declined the rental. And again, there was not a peep from our advisor until we called back at 1pm the next day.

"The tech looked at your car," she began, "There is a minute leak in the emission system. But this is a new car. If we can locate the problem it will take time to order parts... blah, blah." Two hours later, another call, "We found it. There is a leak from the fuel filler neck. We would order the parts but they are on backorder. So we actually can't order them until the backorder is lifted. But when it is, we'll order the part. Your car is ready for pick up"

How would you feel if this was your new car experience?

Mike Schmidt, Vehicle Testing Manager @ 1,103 miles

Categories: 2011 BMW 528i.
      09-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

good review.
shame about the check engine light and the bs they were given.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
good review.
shame about the check engine light and the bs they were given.
It's probably not too serious a problem. The thing is, with a new car, you just don't expect these things right off the bat. I had to have the center console hinge replaced because it wasn't opening properly, the part took 2 weeks to arrive. Didn't bother me 1 bit, but seeing that light every time I got into the car would have drove me .