2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum After 2000 miles, my response to critics...

09-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

After 2000 miles, my response to critics...

Initially I was one of the people disappointed by the "un-BMW" feeling of this car. One week into ownership I agreed with Car & Driver and many of the naysayers on this forums.

Well after owning my 535i for nearly two months, my explanation is the following:

The 5-series has gone mainstream.

For those who love the E39, E60, and E90/E91/E92 3-series, this car will probably disappoint you at first.

For those willing to give it a chance, it will delight. Yes, it has first-year issues (some cars more severe than others). No, it does not handle like a racecar (for reference, my last car was a 2009 Nissan GT-R).

But this car will provide years of enjoyment with limited fanfare, retain a large percentage of its value, and look good for a long time (versus the Infiniti M-series which seems to get old fast and/or look out of balance from the outset).

Downsides or regrets? Sure I wish I waited for the September builds. I probably should have purchased a second-model year car. On both accounts, I didn't have that luxury.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
Initially I was one of the people disappointed by the "un-BMW" feeling of this car. One week into ownership I agreed with Car & Driver and many of the naysayers on this forums.

Well after owning my 535i for nearly two months, my explanation is the following:

The 5-series has gone mainstream.

For those who love the E39, E60, and E90/E91/E92 3-series, this car will probably disappoint you at first.

For those willing to give it a chance, it will delight. Yes, it has first-year issues (some cars more severe than others). No, it does not handle like a racecar (for reference, my last car was a 2009 Nissan GT-R).

But this car will provide years of enjoyment with limited fanfare, retain a large percentage of its value, and look good for a long time (versus the Infiniti M-series which seems to get old fast and/or look out of balance from the outset).

Downsides or regrets? Sure I wish I waited for the September builds. I probably should have purchased a second-model year car. On both accounts, I didn't have that luxury.
Good to hear from a fellow 'glass-half-full' type and encouraging to read your opinions.
I'm on day two with my 535d M Sport and generally loving every aspect; ok, the steering's not as responsive or communicative as it was in the E92, but the adaptive drive/damper control is a delight to use and makes significant differences between the three modes - not trying 'sport+' until I have a few more miles on the clock.
I now have a car which converts from a luxury cruiser to a bend-loving sportster at the touch of a button.
Do you have the adaptive xenon headlights? I tried them out this evening - amazing to see where you're going before you get there.
Like you, I think I will become very happy with my F10.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
salamigs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

lindros, I can see why you wish you could have waited for the second year, but why September build? What would you have gotten with a September build other than 6VC (ComBox)?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 03:44 AM   #4
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Once you buy a car you pretty much have to convince yourself all is okay. What other choice do you have?

BMW made a decision to compete with the mid size luxury market and all the other sofas out there. If someone is still expecting the ultimate driving machine, then get a 3er or wait for the M5 (hopefully it's not a couch, too.) Otherwise, expect a soft and cushy ride. Which is fine if that's what one wants.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 04:02 AM   #5
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
Once you buy a car you pretty much have to convince yourself all is okay. What other choice do you have?
And I presume you have been buying your cars first and check out whether it's ok after that
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quick responses:

I really would have liked 6VC for the BlackBerry support and improved iPod usability.

I also think that September build cars may have slightly revised EPS and transmission software, but who knows (my car was built right after the fuel pump fiasco was sorted).

I might have also gone for M-Sport, but in the USA it's not really as big a deal (no sport suspension).
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
drewb7787
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 535i Sport AW/Cinn

Quote:

BMW made a decision to compete with the mid size luxury market and all the other sofas out there. If someone is still expecting the ultimate driving machine, then get a 3er or wait for the M5 (hopefully it's not a couch, too.) Otherwise, expect a soft and cushy ride. Which is fine if that's what one wants.
How long have you had your f10? I can adjust my 5 ton drive just as well or better than my 335. Maybe I'm not as perceptive as everyone else but I love my new 5er. I think it is inaccurate and unfair to call the new 5 series a couch.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
tadtaggert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewb7787 View Post
How long have you had your f10? I can adjust my 5 ton drive just as well or better than my 335. Maybe I'm not as perceptive as everyone else but I love my new 5er. I think it is inaccurate and unfair to call the new 5 series a couch.
He's a troll, ignore.

BMW listened to BMW drivers, what they wanted, and that's why we have the F10. And I agree with you about the comparison to the 335, my F10 550i blows away a 335i, not quite as much as an E60 550i tho.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtaggert View Post
He's a troll, ignore.

BMW listened to BMW drivers, what they wanted, and that's why we have the F10. And I agree with you about the comparison to the 335, my F10 550i blows away a 335i, not quite as much as an E60 550i tho.

I also disagree with the "couch" metaphor. The 5 series wheel base being increased has simply given the car a better ride.

The steering is good; the car drives like a smaller car in sport mode.

I think the critics will always have something to complain about.

But as a former e60 owner, i can say without a doubt, the new 5 is better in so many ways. Style is spot on, the comfort is there. Its only slight downfall is the weight, but it drives solid. And the next 335i will probably gain a few lbs too. These newer cars are just safer. I recall the e60 had issues with side impacts. It was remedied in the f10...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

So, I agree with Car and Driver and the "other naysayers" of the F10 (read the first line of the OP's post) and I'm a troll?

Okay, then anyone who makes critical remarks about a brand they actually care about is simply a troll.

If you truly like the driving dynamics (esp the electric steering) of the F10 over past versions of the 5er, then more power to you. Just as I said in the last sentence of my previous post.

Rest of the car is great. But that wonderful and unique "BMW" chassis and steering dynamic is no longer there with this one, imho.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 01:55 AM   #11
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I can only agree, I have driven 10,000 kms(>6200 miles) with it and does everything I want(for that kind of car), mpg is incredible and power is sufficient. The only thing is, those parking buildings here in EU are built for cars smaller than F10's....

Quote:
\ But that wonderful and unique "BMW" chassis and steering dynamic is no longer there with this one, imho.
Agreed(this is my 8th BMW) , and I think the newer models in the pipeline will also have that 'electric steering problem' , more or less.

You have to get used to it...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
drewb7787
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 535i Sport AW/Cinn

Quote:
So, I agree with Car and Driver and the "other naysayers" of the F10 (read the first line of the OP's post) and I'm a troll?

Okay, then anyone who makes critical remarks about a brand they actually care about is simply a troll.

If you truly like the driving dynamics (esp the electric steering) of the F10 over past versions of the 5er, then more power to you. Just as I said in the last sentence of my previous post.

Rest of the car is great. But that wonderful and unique "BMW" chassis and steering dynamic is no longer there with this one, imho.
I respect your opinion. I am wondering if you have bought a new 5 series or if your opinion is based on a few miles in a test-drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #13
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Sell it
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewb7787 View Post
I respect your opinion. I am wondering if you have bought a new 5 series or if your opinion is based on a few miles in a test-drive.
In addition to several local test drives (including a BMW invite), I drove my sister's new F10 to San Francisco and back (without her.) 9 hours worth of driving and also a spirited drive up to Sonoma. She bought it because she felt her previous two cars (E93 and E60) were "too bumpy" (her words.) She likes the F10 because it's not as "bumpy." I didn't like it. It wasn't what I'd want from a BMW. I'd buy a 7er instead or something else altogether for a "luxury" ride.

But I see where BMW is coming from with the F10. Competition in the mid-sized luxury sedan market is fierce. But for those who want a "bigger sports sedan" there's not a lot to choose from. BMW was really it for me in the past. Right now I'm waiting to see what's up with the new M5 when it goes on sale. (just for the record, I have an W211 E63 AMG as my "mid-sized luxury sedan" daily driver, and it's not what I'd call a real "sports sedan." It's more about total comfort.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Sell it
I was being facetious. It's common for someone to rarely criticize the brand and model of car they own because of the fear that their purchase choice reflects on themselves. So we tend to sometimes overly praise the car we have bought to help us deal with its shortcomings. Hey, that's just human nature; nothing wrong with that. Nobody wants to have a car with quirks, so we convince ourselves all is well.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #15
pyramid
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Serpent S966

Garage List
Various Various  [0.00]
Quote:
It's common for someone to rarely criticize the brand and model of car they own because of the fear that their purchase choice reflects on themselves. So we tend to sometimes overly praise the car we have bought to help us deal with its shortcomings. Hey, that's just human nature; nothing wrong with that. Nobody wants to have a car with quirks, so we convince ourselves all is well.
very well said sometime I find it hard to express what I'm trying to politely say without calling them fanboys. I need to borrow your statement once in a while, english is not my primary language
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #16
ronn
Rep
Drives: evoIX mr

going back to Lindros2 comments regarding a possible change to the eps. Can anyone confirm BMW switch from ZF to Thyssenkrup and can this be at the heart of the whole issue. According to Insideline BMW changed steering suppliers from zf to thyssenkrupp and the new x3 is supposed to have this newer steering. Could the later produced f10s also be receiving parts from a different supplier?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #17
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Stickypaws, you're not a troll

Quote:

You are spot on when you say the BMW chassis and steering dynamics is no longer there with the the F10 535. (haven't driven the 550). The BMW sport sedan feel with the 535i is simply missing. Good or bad, this is a design evolution that BMW has chosen. So, we who like a sport sedan feel will have to wait for the new 3 or maybe the F10 M5.

All the electronic advancements may be great for safety and actual performance, but they take away from "road feel"...sort of like a condom!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 02:23 AM   #18
kd6lor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
All the electronic advancements may be great for safety and actual performance, but they take away from "road feel"...sort of like a condom!
I know there is a really really good reply to be had here, I just can't think of one...

Paul
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #19
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Can anyone confirm BMW switch from ZF to Thyssenkrup and can this be at the heart of the whole issue.
That's going to be really tough to do outside of a parts/service department.

I would be interested to see - over the next 6-9 months, if the BMW part number (for the EPS pump maybe?) shows a revision code...
Appreciate 0