E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Software 2.39.2 Initial Experience

10-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Exclamation Software 2.39.2 Initial Experience

Hi folks,

I took my car in to my local dealership on Wednesday morning for coolant top-off and problematic passenger airbag sensor. They had a recall on it and they kept the car for 3 days while waiting for parts and reprogramming it.

When my SA scanned my keyfob, a service campaign popped in for all N54 equipped cars. They are now doing a mandatory software upgrade to deploy the software "fix" for the fuel system.

Took them 3 days to get things done as the car crashed during programming.

Got the car back last night. They installed new passenger air bag sensor and it seems to have fixed the issue I took the car in for, which is good.

They have updated the software of all controllers and the ECU. The current software release that was installed on my car is 2.39.2 which is NOT the latest. The latest as far as I can tell is 2.39.4 but that should not be of a major difference!

Things I've noticed right away:

1. Car has more lag. Boost does not kick in till at least 2500 rpms. Previously, with my factory software, I was getting strong boost at just 2000 rpms. The car definitely feels neutered in low-mid rpms. I've not had a chance to open it up and test the top end performance... Or perhaps the ECU has not had a chance to do any adaptation yet and has not figured out that I have catless turbo turbo back exhaust system.

2. Car runs smoother! It seems less prone to surging and power delivery is more smooth somehow. I could be imagining things.

3. Idle RPMS are now dead on 600 rpms. Then needle does not randomly jump 50 rpms any more. Engine no longer sputters every now and then.

4. I can definitely hear the fuel pump in the tank buzz when I unlock the car. So its pre-priming the fuel system. I recommend everyone to wait 1-2 seconds AFTER the pump in the tank stops before you actually start the car.

5. The reflash deleted all of my settings. I now have to reprogram everything...

Overall, I am glad that I have the latest software, because I want the fuel system to pre-prime. GIAC also has Stage 2 available for the latest BMW software so that's good too. I am just bit disappointed about the turbo lag that I am seeing. I guess I'll just have to peg the engine a bit higher from now on...

UPDATE 1:
After several days, it seems that the ECU has adapted. It is definitely bringing out more torque down low and I can definitely feel the boost building up much earlier than when I got it right after the software update. Not a single long crank, but that has been the case for almost 2-3 months now. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Last edited by vasillalov; 10-07-2010 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

After my update the idle is still as rough as before, and I'm not sure how much of the lag I perceived was attributable to the software, and how much to the failure of an intake VANOS solenoid.

I will admit that my car has not died since, which it was routinely doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Hi folks,

I took my car in to my local dealership on Wednesday morning for coolant top-off and problematic passenger airbag sensor. They had a recall on it and they kept the car for 3 days while waiting for parts and reprogramming it.

When my SA scanned my keyfob, a service campaign popped in for all N54 equipped cars. They are now doing a mandatory software upgrade to deploy the software "fix" for the fuel system.

Took them 3 days to get things done as the car crashed during programming.

Got the car back last night. They installed new passenger air bag sensor and it seems to have fixed the issue I took the car in for, which is good.

They have updated the software of all controllers and the ECU. The current software release that was installed on my car is 2.39.2 which is NOT the latest. The latest as far as I can tell is 2.39.4 but that should not be of a major difference!

Things I've noticed right away:

1. Car has more lag. Boost does not kick in till at least 2500 rpms. Previously, with my factory software, I was getting strong boost at just 2000 rpms. The car definitely feels neutered in low-mid rpms. I've not had a chance to open it up and test the top end performance... Or perhaps the ECU has not had a chance to do any adaptation yet and has not figured out that I have catless turbo turbo back exhaust system.

2. Car runs smoother! It seems less prone to surging and power delivery is more smooth somehow. I could be imagining things.

3. Idle RPMS are now dead on 600 rpms. Then needle does not randomly jump 50 rpms any more. Engine no longer sputters every now and then.

4. I can definitely hear the fuel pump in the tank buzz when I unlock the car. So its pre-priming the fuel system. I recommend everyone to wait 1-2 seconds AFTER the pump in the tank stops before you actually start the car.

5. The reflash deleted all of my settings. I now have to reprogram everything...

Overall, I am glad that I have the latest software, because I want the fuel system to pre-prime. GIAC also has Stage 2 available for the latest BMW software so that's good too. I am just bit disappointed about the turbo lag that I am seeing. I guess I'll just have to peg the engine a bit higher from now on...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

My car was the same after the update.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
richmalk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i

Honestly, I think you need to allow time for the ECU to readapt after a new flash to really compare tunes.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Update added to first post.
      10-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Got mine back from reprogramming yesterday, was on original build software (1/08) and I can confirm everything said here. Same experiences, smoothness, buzz on unlock, lees low end and all my preferences were wiped out. Hopefully mine will adapt a bit as well and bring on the boost a bit sooner. I'm trying to run it pretty hard but traffic keeps getting in the way

Only question or oddity I have are the calls coming in bluetooth have a very low volume now. Can't find a setting anywhere and will post up in that forum but in case anyone knows give up the secret!! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
akack79
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Only question or oddity I have are the calls coming in bluetooth have a very low volume now. Can't find a setting anywhere and will post up in that forum but in case anyone knows give up the secret!! Thanks.

Same here, BT volume set set very low on default.

Plus I need to get my LCI tail lights recoded again
      10-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Perfectus
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i/F10 528XI

I wonder if this "mandatory" software is free for people who are out of warranty...anyone know?
Injen DCI w/ Cyba Scoop - M-Tech Rear - ///M3 Rear Lip Spoiler - ///M5 SMG Shift Knob & iDrive Knob - BMW Performance Hand Brake - BMWCCA Member
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Forgot to mention that the program crashed during my update also. When I got it back, it had the wrong iDrive software on it; which included e-mail, but no Sirius Radio. They kept it all weekend, and I got it back Monday. What a mess.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
chicagobmw
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe 6spd

My car is in for it's first HPFP now and I'm sure I'll end up with the new software. I just bought it cpo'd a month ago and am hoping the lag isn't too noticeable. Half the reason I bought the car was for the low end torque. I'll report back once I get it back and have a chance to drive it a bit.
Appreciate 0