BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-19-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 40MPG

Weight Complaints? Please Read!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know I truly hate Mozilla Firefox, the god damned software crashed in the middle of my 20 paragraph writeup on the weight of the new M.

Im way to tired to re-write all that BS again, so here are some cliff notes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No way in hell the new M3 will be weighing in even close to 3600-3700.

Reason why:

1. History has nothing to say for itself this time around when it comes to comparing the weight gained between the fuily equipped 3-Series coupe, nor the comparing of the previous M3 weights gains vs. the following generations.

*The reasons why are that there has never been a 3 series coupe that has been this powerful, or that has turned or stopped better. My point with this is that the car has been beefed up in all of the power, handling, and braking areas, that its predecessors havent. (Don't lose me now, we're talking about the 335i coupe) With all of the beefing up of this car going on, its bound to add weight in the hundreds of pounds. So in the past the usual weight gains between the M3 and 3-Series coupe which were from the beefing up of suspension, engine, and brakes cannot be held true this time around because the difference between the two wont be so extravagant.

In fact, i think that this time around everything weightwise will be on the contrary. I think that this time around BMW has realized that its customers dont want to be driving a big fat pig through the twisties, and have decided to address the matter in a big way. (Clearly seen with the decision to use a CF roof) And it doesn't stop there either.

The final weight of the 335i coupe will hopefully be equal to or more that the M3. My reasoning behind this is that BMW is not including several of the weight saving factors that it will surely incorporate into the M model. Such as aluminum, magnesium, carbon composites, and other lightweight goodies that will save weight over the 335 in key areas, such as suspension and braking components, and things that will greatly affect the driving dynamics. Which brings me to my next point.

^ This puts an end to anybody saying the the 335i weighs 3500lbs and the M will be even heavier.

Now continuing with the theory that all historical weight trends are not applicable with the new e92 M3.

Back when the new and improved e46 m3 came about, it was the biggest weight gain from a previous generation m3 ever. (I know that the M3s havent been around forever but you know what I mean) It was a 250lb gain and the number one reason that the majority of the customers didn't have complaints, was the fact the the handling and dynamics of the car were greater than ever.
And this time around the handling and dynamics will not dissapoint either . A lower center of gravity, and better weight distribution are the key factors in this. Thanks you a V shaped engine as opposed the straight six, the engine can be place farther back in the engine bay. Therefore pushing the center of gravity and weight of the vehicle toward the center of the car where it should be.
Also, the CF roof will lower the weight substatially up top and bring the center of gravity lower, toward the center of the car once again. So we should all hope for close-to-perfect or perfect, weight distribution once all is said and done.

I hope that these clear up any complaints about a weight gain in the e92 M3.
And hopefully all you sissies making excuses about not buying the car because of weight and "fun factor" will think twice.

Phew! That was one hell of a cliffnotes edition!

Best reguards to all,
-Pete

P.S. And if it does weigh a whole lot more, so what. You know that your fat asses can lose some weight and pretend that you have your hefty buddy driving with you. 200lb man and another 200lb man = A 150lb man and the extra 250lbs that the e92 M may or may not have.

*God, I hope this all made sense.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2006, 11:03 PM   #2
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

Somebody give me feedback! lol i spent so long on this and i need some closure!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2006, 12:16 AM   #3
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Makes sense.

For comparison, how much weight increase was there from the E39 to E60 M5? Maybe that'll give us an idea...
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2006, 12:48 AM   #4
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

Hmm, i never really thought of that. But i guess your right, there is only a 12lb difference and guess what!? The e60 is lighter! e39 m5 weighs 12 pounds heavier then the new and improved e60 m5, which includes the heavy smgIII.

E39 M5 = 4024

E60 M5 = 4012

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
joshjosh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 05' M3

Wow, and could you imagine what the e60 will weigh with a 6spd instead of the SMG?

I like this thread it's giving me hope!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
Smoltz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 Challenge Stradale + 02 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjosh View Post
Wow, and could you imagine what the e60 will weigh with a 6spd instead of the SMG?

I like this thread it's giving me hope!
Do you know how much more SMG II weighs over the Manuall Operated Getrag 6spd? 15lbs.

-Adam
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
Do you know how much more SMG II weighs over the Manuall Operated Getrag 6spd? 15lbs.

-Adam

Wowza! I had no idea. I thought it would weigh at least 50lbs more, seeing as that there is more equiment being used.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2006, 09:58 PM   #8
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E70 BMW X5 4.8i

You're right. All the statements from BMW people I've heard about the E92 M3 say that the weight issues have been seriously adressed. It won't be a 1800kg tank like the M5/M6 which are just a pain in the ass to corner because they are TOO HEAVY.

Especially with the V8 being able to being placed further back, that means they can use lighter chassis materials on the back end too to achieve 50:50 weight distribution, instead of doing the usual trick of putting the heavy metal on the back to balance the engine weight. And the CF roof is a definite indicator (even though it wasn't on the M6). But most of all, this car will be kind of a modern street legal M3 GTR Racetrack version (as told to me by one BMW old-timer rep who I talked to about it in length), and one of the points of the M3 GTR was also light weight, around 1250kg's or ~2700 lbs even though it had a fire-breathing 500hp+ 4L V8.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the weight stats and individual details on how the chassis is built, but from what I'm told, some of the most advanced and innovative (and never before used) technologies will be used here. As most of you know, BMW is positioning the new M3 as the premium M-model, after which all others will follow. Price will surely be higher, but as long as it's light and fulfills the expectations, who cares... Jeez. Still 5 months to the first unveiling of the demo cars here and the whole winter to go before shipments. Good thing I got me my 130i to play with meanwhile.

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0