BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-05-2007, 05:08 AM   #1
TimPollard
Registered
Rep
Drives: S3

Background on new M3 story in CAR magazine

Just to follow up on the postings about the new M3 cover story in the February 2007 issue of CAR magazine in the UK.

One of our correspondents got hold of official sketches of the new model from design sources in Germany. The images in CAR, and on our website today, are Photoshopped photos of a 335i, but have the exact info we obtained: namely, the exact design of front spoiler, side skirts, alloys, side gills and the new rear styling with the licence plate housed lower down.

Our information is that there will be a concept, similar to the M5 concept, at the Geneva Motor Show in early March. It'll be a very close pointer to the production car due later this year.

CAR's spies have obtained design documents leaking the look of BMW's new super-saloon - several months ahead of its launch this summer.

We used the blueprints to produce a series of four stunning computer-enhanced images revealing exactly how the Three range-topper will look. A sculpted front spoiler punctured by two deep air intakes and a reprofiled bonnet paint a menacing face; elsewhere, the M3 is distinguished by trademark M side gills, 19in alloys and a redesigned rear apron with the licence plate nestled low down in the back bumper.

Under the bonnet lies a V8 of between 4.0 and 4.2 litres' capacity. For full technical details, read the story in the latest CAR Magazine: we've got the full monty, from power outputs to redline details; 0-60mph times and transmission spec.

Don't mean to over-plug CAR, but I know there's been much chatter about the story - and thought we should explain the story's provenance. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

good info here....

Jason
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
jtown
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Please nooooooooooo.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
PaulUK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Bearing in mind that these are Photoshops, the design looks good to me, especially the rear.

Each to their own I suppose, but what exactly are people not happy with? I dont get it, it looks the same as most of the other recent images & photos!!

Perhaps some elaboration!

Perhaps moving the number plate is a problem (surley not!!??!!)

Paul UK
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Yeah I think a lot of people are upset about the plate location and the fact that rear looks a little like the E92 Aero kit which nobody likes.

However, if you look at the M6, the plate is below the trunk lid. I am actually a fan of this even though the plate looked just fine where it is now on the 335i.

Jason
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Well, it does look awkward to have license plate on bumper rather than trunk...at least for me it is.
I hope it goes on the trunk though
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 06:16 PM   #7
Doctor Love
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

So basically you got unconfirmed sketches from an undisclosed source, photoshopped a 335i, and tried to pass it off as an authentic M3. Sorry but sounds like tabloid bull**** to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #8
mloyelo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 Porsche Carrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Love View Post
So basically you got unconfirmed sketches from an undisclosed source, photoshopped a 335i, and tried to pass it off as an authentic M3. Sorry but sounds like tabloid bull**** to me.
Couldn't agree more. But looks pretty sweet nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 10:50 PM   #9
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Yes and no and direct response to Tim Pollard

Quote:
Good points D.L.!

Thanks Tim for posting and caring about this forum.

The article should have explicity stated that the images were p-chopped 335i pictures. It should have also stated the source of the "blueprints" (by the way Tim, you still may be in the 1960s, but "blueprints" do not exist today, it is all CAD (plus hand sketches and 3D prototypes as required). I don't buy that you can state the source as "official sketches of the new model from design sources in Germany" in a internet forum and not state that in the article itself. Either way laws and non-discolusures have been violated and their have been "leaks" or they have not and the released information was purposefully released to Car Magazine alone. I don't suppose you will clarify these points will you?

On the other hand I certainly appreciate your taking a stand and trying to deliver a breaking article and peek at what has been and will be a benchmark and thrilling automobile. The overall message and specs are probably great guesses or close to what everyone is speculating about. Hats off also for passionate and exciting writting that was quite engaging esp. about the CSL.

I guess only time will tell if you and Car Magazine deserve a big "hats off" or harsher criticism.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 11:45 PM   #10
Head
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RRS Supercharged / 991 Turbo S

UK Car Magazine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPollard View Post
Just to follow up on the postings about the new M3 cover story in the February 2007 issue of CAR magazine in the UK.
You know this is a prime example of why I DON'T buy CAR Magazine. They are more interested in selling magazines than quality reporting on cars etc, so they make stuff up to suit themselves, again.

EVO Magazine, on the other hand, will report when they have the facts. Go EVO, bury those cheating CAR bastards who have something, perhaps, maybe to tell us about something that might happen in the future and here is a piccy of a current model of something, that might look similar to something else!

Just my 2c worth.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 07:00 PM   #11
TimPollard
Registered
Rep
Drives: S3

Okay, just to clarify CAR's editorial position on this. I agree the original article should have stated the provenance better; if our information was so accurate, why not trumpet the fact? That is a question for us to mull over for future issues.

The truth is one of our most senior members of staff received some pretty hot leaked info on the new M3, including specific sketches of the car from Germany. This is how the image was Photoshopped to show the rear bumper treatment etc.

I guess the proof is in the pudding. Once we see the concept at Geneva, we'll know how accurate that information was. But rest assured, we would not frivolously publish pictures like these unless we were confident of their accuracy.

As the feedback on this forum points out, we live or die by our accuracy on scoop stories like this. Although not the author, I for one am hoping we got it right on this occasion!

Cheers,

Tim
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2007, 12:47 AM   #12
Doctor Love
Registered
Rep

Not to be demeaning, but what exactly makes you think random sketches equals a production car? SKETCHES? Are you ****ing kidding me? Who at ****ing BMW corporate is sitting around and drawing sketches of production cars that have already been made?

Or is it the opposite? Do you think they made the production car based on sketches? This is arguable worse. They might have had a sketch YEARS ago that they used for inspiration, since then it has been in CAD and in physical model form.

So someone gave you some drawings which they somehow claim are current sketches of the new M3 which would have no reason to exist, probably got you to pay money for them, and you photoshopped up a 335 and tried to pass it off as an M3. Did I miss anything there? I'm sorry but that makes your "magazine" look pathetic.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2007, 12:17 PM   #13
PaulUK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
I'm sorry but that makes your "magazine" look pathetic.
No it doesn't - Tim has clarified the reasoning behind the article and thats fair enough. Before long we will know if its right or not.

Why are you being so hard on this particular magazine? There are plenty of other photoshop pictures published which are, frankly, rubbish.

If it turns out that Car Magazine are right, then im sure that they will benefit. If they are wrong, they will look a bit silly I suppose.

Just my opinion

Cheers

Paul
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #14
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUK View Post
No it doesn't - Tim has clarified the reasoning behind the article and thats fair enough. Before long we will know if its right or not.

Why are you being so hard on this particular magazine? There are plenty of other photoshop pictures published which are, frankly, rubbish.

If it turns out that Car Magazine are right, then im sure that they will benefit. If they are wrong, they will look a bit silly I suppose.

Just my opinion

Cheers

Paul
+1 IMO
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #15
REP1KRR
My other car is a Scooter'ia
Rep
Drives: M3 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
+1 IMO
Agreed. Relax already.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #16
Doctor Love
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUK View Post

Usually the mags are a bit more up front about photoshops when they do them. The fact is there are spy shots of the actual mule (see link below) which directly contradict what these "official sketches" indicate, so it's rather lame to call it a "M3 cover story" when it's not anything but a joke. The sketches are probably years old even if they were from BMW, and to suggest it will indicate the appearance of a production vehicle is simply absurd. To put it on the cover of your magazine and say it's an accurate depiction of the production M3 indicates a total lack of any journalistic integrity whatsoever.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13350
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #17
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I love magazines because you know it's BS :-P
It's just fun to read!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 03:51 AM   #18
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

More license plate location discussion here...

Quote:
Usually the mags are a bit more up front about photoshops when they do them. The fact is there are spy shots of the actual mule (see link below) which directly contradict what these "official sketches" indicate, so it's rather lame to call it a "M3 cover story" when it's not anything but a joke. The sketches are probably years old even if they were from BMW, and to suggest it will indicate the appearance of a production vehicle is simply absurd. To put it on the cover of your magazine and say it's an accurate depiction of the production M3 indicates a total lack of any journalistic integrity whatsoever.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13350
southlight pointed out a decent thread with a lot of discussion on the license plate location here: http://www.germancarzone.com/showthread.php?t=7218 (takes some digging through a bunch of bs to find it...). However I'm not sure I buy the credibility of the "insider" Scott.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #19
J2theC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Mustang GT

???

I think it looks awesome having the license plate on the bumper rather than trunk! I don't think I would like anywehre else actually.
Appreciate 0