BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow Edmunds 1-series M Coupe First Drive Review

Edmunds was also part of the select group participating in the BMW 1M coupe prototype preliminary drives. Their initial impressions follows:

Quote:
2012 BMW 1 Series M Coupe Prototype First Drive

Silly Name for a Serious Car

By Andreas Stahl, Contributor | Published Oct 8, 2010

Article at: http://www.insideline.com/bmw/1-seri...rst-drive.html

We've always been a fan of the BMW 135i coupe. How could you not when it packs such a terrific engine, delivers such enthralling rear-wheel-drive handling and boasts the sort of quality expected of a car wearing the sought-after blue-and-white propeller badge?

But at the same time we've always felt the compact two-door, introduced in the North American market in 2007, could offer a little bit more on the performance front. We partially took this into our hands when we chipped our long-term 135i. Now, after taking a long time to carefully think it over, BMW's board of management has apparently come to the very same conclusion. The result? The harder, faster and more focused 2012 BMW 1 Series M Coupe, driven here in prototype form for the very first time.

Neo-E30?
Set to debut at the Detroit auto show in January, BMW M division's new entry-level model has been conceived to broaden its reach and appeal among a younger group of customers than the existing M3, X5 M and X6 M as well as the upcoming M5 and M6 — the latter two due out in 2011 and 2012, respectively.

The company's boss, Kay Segler, is quick to talk up the similarities between the 2012 BMW 1 Series M Coupe and the original M3 — the classic E30 model used to homologate BMW's 1987 World Touring Car Championship contender. Truth is, though, there is little other than compact dimensions linking the two. If it has to be compared, the 135i coupe is clearly the only real yardstick.

Huggy Bear
One fleeting glimpse is all it takes to tell you this is no ordinary 135i coupe. With a deep new front bumper carrying sizable engine cooling ducts, bulging wheel arches front and rear, widened sills and a re-profiled rear bumper incorporating BMW M division's signature quad chrome tailpipes, the 1 Series M Coupe looks fast and capable before it's even turned a wheel.

The styling changes are complemented by a fantastic ground-hugging stance created through a combination of lowered ride height and significantly widened tracks. The wheels? We can't imagine there was much argument over the M3 CSL-style 19-inch alloys worn by the prototype we drove. Shod with 245/35 (front) and 265/35 (rear) Michelin Pilot Sport tires, they properly fill out the arches, serving to heighten the 1 Series M Coupe's muscular appearance while helping to further separate it visually from its standard sibling.

There's not too much to report about the interior just yet. The prototype we drove used a basic 135i coupe dashboard that had clearly seen better days. Production versions will get the same fascia design together with all the usual M division accouterments: unique instruments, thick-rim three-spoke steering wheel, leather-bound gearlever, polished pedals, more firmly padded seats and a series of upmarket trims.

Stump-Puller
Never mind the interior, though. It's the mechanical package, and in particular the driveline, that will be the real focus when the 1 Series M Coupe reaches North American showrooms next year. Based closely around that already used by the 135i coupe, it runs a heavily tuned version of BMW's N54 engine mounted longitudinally up front and delivering drive to the rear wheels. Details pertaining to the twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder direct-injection gasoline unit haven't been made official. However, Inside Line understands it develops close to 350 horsepower — or 44 hp more than the standard engine in the 135i and some 57 hp less than the naturally aspirated 4.0-liter V8-powered M3.

First impressions once you've slotted the key into the ignition and hit the starter button are more than encouraging. The reworked engine is extraordinarily strong within the lower end of the rev range thanks to its solid reserves of torque. Again, BMW is not prepared to divulge too much prior to its official unveiling, but there are whispers that the 1 Series M Coupe has as much as 350 pound-feet of torque, or significantly more than both the 135i coupe and M3's 294 lb-ft. As the torque is delivered at just 1,400 rpm, the new BMW requires little commitment from the driver to appreciate the added performance.

But while its part-throttle properties are truly impressive, it is under boost, when its two turbochargers are spooling up, where the 1 Series M Coupe really comes alive. Planting your right foot at middling revs unleashes a heady rush of acceleration fully befitting its billing as the spiritual successor to BMW M division's original M3. The reworked engine doesn't mind being worked hard, either; the delivery remains strong all the way to the 7,000-rpm cutout point.

The noise it makes is a little bit naughtier than the standard unit in the 135i coupe, too. There's less induction blare and a raspier exhaust, both under load and on the overrun. It's fitting for a car possessing such stirring performance but it's nowhere near as memorable as the bass-driven wail you get from BMW M division's existing naturally aspirated 4.0-liter V8 and recently discontinued 5.0-liter V10 engines.

Don't Throw Away That Left Foot Just Yet
Despite speculation suggesting the new BMW would receive a seven-speed double-clutch gearbox like that now available as an option in the M3, the 2012 BMW 1 Series M Coupe will come standard with a six-speed manual. It's a strange decision given the younger customers M division is aiming at. But with a crisp action and firm springing, working the Getrag-engineered unit is no hardship. As we're used to, though, the clutch action is long on travel.

As part of efforts to sustain the suspense surrounding the impending introduction of the 1 Series M Coupe, BMW's M division has not revealed any official performance claims just yet. But with a curb weight around 3,300 pounds, a 0-62-mph time of around 5.0 seconds seems well within reach. Of course, it all depends on the gearing. But if the prototype we drove is any indication, it's going to be every bit as quick as the M3 up the strip. Nor will it lack for top-end speed. Inside Line can already confirm top speed will be limited to 155 mph.

It's not only the straight-line performance that serves to set this car apart. The 2012 BMW 1 Series M Coupe also operates on a higher dynamic plane than the 135i coupe. From the outset it feels more willing, and as you begin to make demands it becomes clear the heavily reworked chassis is not only more responsive, but capable of handling higher cornering speeds and delivering added levels of grip.

Wide-Track BMW
Central to the changes is the adoption of a wider front track and the rear axle assembly from the M3, complete with its so-called M differential. The electronically operated device provides 100 percent lockup, ensuring a more harmonious transfer of drive to the blacktop and more neutral cornering. On top of this, it has allowed BMW M division engineers to dial back the threshold of the 1 Series M Coupe's standard stability and traction control system, giving the driver greater scope to exploit its added reserves. The front end can be leaned on more reliably and you can get power down earlier without nasty interruption from the electronic safety net lurking in the background.

Changes to the steering make it more direct and imbue it with a slight increase in weight. They add to the overall sense of purpose engineered into the 1 Series M Coupe, particularly its turn-in properties, which are much improved over the 135i. It's just a pity the newly engineered electromechanical system is so short on feel. There's an inherent firmness to the ride, the result of stiffer springs and dampers as well as those uncompromising tires. But there's sufficient compliance and travel to ensure rapid progress on less-than-smooth roads.

Still, it's going to take more wheel time than a brief spin up the road in a durability prototype that has over 10,000 miles on the clock to fully appreciate the changes BMW has made to the 135i to create the 2012 BMW 1 Series M Coupe. At the moment the signs are extremely positive. It's the sort of car you get out of wishing you could have more time with. On the strength of what we've seen so far, it fully deserves the M-car billing, even if BMW made the wrong decision by not calling it the M1.

Edmunds attended a manufacturer-sponsored event, to which selected members of the press were invited, to facilitate this report.

Source: http://www.insideline.com/bmw/1-seri...rst-drive.html

Name:  1m-a.jpg
Views: 8454
Size:  114.3 KB

Name:  1m-b.jpg
Views: 8354
Size:  116.2 KB

Name:  1m-c.jpg
Views: 8502
Size:  106.5 KB

Name:  1m-d.jpg
Views: 7890
Size:  115.6 KB

Name:  1m-e.jpg
Views: 8488
Size:  160.3 KB
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Thanks for posting, but Edmunds "Inside Line," not Road & Track.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Thanks for posting, but Edmunds "Inside Line," not Road & Track.
Thanks, fixed.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
mihink
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X7, '17 640i Gran Coupe

those rear tires look HUGE. Wish they had more color options and more than 2700 produced. Car looks mean!
      10-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Can't Wait!

Last edited by dna550; 10-08-2010 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Nice first drive article, definitely more in-depth than usual. I'm really looking forward to this car.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
do you see the resemblance between the two anyone? I don't see it. I don't know why would they call it "NEO E30". But the car will be a one heck of a player.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
cpippolo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

What's up with all of the comments about no steering feel? My 335 has always seemed pretty good in that regard, and I assumed the 135 had the same steering rack. Why would the use a different system for the M version? Or is it that the 135 also lacks feel? I've only taken a 1 for a short test drive on a rainy day so didn't get that much experience with it, but it seemed pretty good. If this is a unique charateristic of the 1M, frankly, I might trade my 3 for a 135i instead. Is this also a criticism of the M3?

Up until now I've been convinced that I would get the 1M (have a deposit down and am first on my dealers list). I'm not troubled by the relatively modest improvements or whether it should be called an "is." I really don't care if they called in an "is" or a "tii." I would get it for the improved performance without the hassle of doing a bunch of mods myself (and potentially losing warranty coverage).

I'm not interested in the M3 because its too heavy. I need a back seat that I can actually fit my kids into from time to time (so no Porsche's need apply), a little luxury and quality in materials, and great perfromance. I thought the 1M would be perfect, but no steering feel would take if off my list. Any chance this is just a problem with a preproduction prototype that they will fix before production?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

In the AutoCar link Scott26 posted earlier today they said the new 1M use a electro-mechanical steering system. Probably simular to the Z4 sDrive35iS. AC only commented on how it has no feel on center. Once off center it feels fine. Maybe that is the way Electro systems feel? One nice thing that they said was it was only 2.4 (?) turns lock to lock. Quite fast.

Here is a quote: "The electro-mechanical steering, for all its accuracy, delivers little feedback on centre but it is quite direct, at 2.4 turns lock to lock."

AutoCar story...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...-Coupe/253281/

Scott26's earlier post today...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440902

Last edited by Dackelone; 10-09-2010 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpippolo View Post
What's up with all of the comments about no steering feel? My 335 has always seemed pretty good in that regard, and I assumed the 135 had the same steering rack. Why would the use a different system for the M version? Or is it that the 135 also lacks feel? I've only taken a 1 for a short test drive on a rainy day so didn't get that much experience with it, but it seemed pretty good. If this is a unique charateristic of the 1M, frankly, I might trade my 3 for a 135i instead. Is this also a criticism of the M3?
Go out and drive an E30 M3 back to back with any other BMW post E30 chasis and you will understand lack of steering feedback.

The closest thing I can find to decent steering feel in a newish BMW is the E46 M3 and the E46 ZHP.

T
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
do you see the resemblance between the two anyone? I don't see it. I don't know why would they call it "NEO E30". But the car will be a one heck of a player.
I think they are just referring to the size, bigger, but not by much. I don't think there is much styling resemblance unless your just counting; same number of doors, wheels, tires, ect, etc, etc, lol...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihink View Post
those rear tires look HUGE. Wish they had more color options and more than 2700 produced. Car looks mean!
Indeed, wonder what the offsets of those 19s are, would like those wheels on my 1er
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
niuniu
NO DOGMA
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: baby bimmer

Edmunds still not over the name choice

Sounds dreamy though!
      10-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post
Go out and drive an E30 M3 back to back with any other BMW post E30 chasis and you will understand lack of steering feedback.

The closest thing I can find to decent steering feel in a newish BMW is the E46 M3 and the E46 ZHP.

T
Exactly right. When I was driving my E30 M3, I was swearing to people that it did not have power assist.
      10-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #15
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
I think they are just referring to the size, bigger, but not by much. I don't think there is much styling resemblance unless your just counting; same number of doors, wheels, tires, ect, etc, etc, lol...
I think they are referring to concept, and feel. A small, extremely well balanced 2 door coupe. The 1 M Coupe will probably run circles around an E30 M3, with all that torque.
      10-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Encouraging review to say the least. Another praising high-RPM power delivery too, which is great to hear.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #17
E90_320si
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320si -06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post

T
I've got an e90 320si here in Sweden and i think it got the best steeringfeel/response/insteering in to cornering etc after bin testing out: 135i with Bmw performance chassie, e90 335i and the e92 M3. The M3 is to heavy for thight cornering, and the 135i felt to soft in lacked of grip into bends! The stering was difused/blured and did not show any detail i feeling!? I asked the Bmw Performance salesperson about this, and he said that the 135i hade not the same steringcomponents as the 3 series. So maby the 1m has the sam feeling? I diden't like it.. /Fredrik
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #18
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_320si View Post
I've got an e90 320si here in Sweden and i think it got the best steeringfeel/response/insteering in to cornering etc after bin testing out: /Fredrik
That is because the 320si was a homogolation special chassis/suspension/drivetrain specifically for a racing series. See any resemblance to the E30 M3.........

T
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #19
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideline View Post
...Central to the changes is the adoption of a wider front track and the rear axle assembly from the M3, complete with its so-called M differential. The electronically operated device provides 100 percent lockup, ensuring a more harmonious transfer of drive to the blacktop and more neutral cornering...
Pardon my ignorance, but does this mean that it has an e-diff? i.e. non-mechanical?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #20
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but does this mean that it has an e-diff? i.e. non-mechanical?
No, it is mechanical, but control by electronics, as opposed to the e-diff which is an open diff, and controlled by electronics on the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #21
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
No, it's purely mechanical. They just had their fact wrong.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 06:19 AM   #22
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

also from inside line quote He said the 1 Series M Coupe will weigh about 3,300 pounds and will be about 3.2 inches wider than the 135i. In terms of performance, Biermann added that "the 1 Series M Coupe will be about 10 seconds faster than the M3" on the Nürburgring's Nordschleife.
Appreciate 0