2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding F10 550xi - serious sirius question...

10-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
DanteHicks
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 550xi

F10 550xi - serious sirius question...

First things first: for anyone who's thinking of going for it, this car is simply amazing. I've only had it for a couple of days but I've enjoyed every minute with it.

My only complaint is a minor one, and it has to do with the sirius satellite radio:

I've defined some channels as presets, just like on my old 2007 328xi. However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to have the display show the name and artist for the song that's playing while I'm listening. It's like the screen just shows the names of the preset channels -- and there's no way to switch to have it show the details of what's playing on the channel I'm listening to.

You can see the details of what you're currently listening to when you're in "All channels" mode, but just not when I'm on the presets screen.

The old 2007 328xi iDrive (which did this perfectly) looked like it was designed by a horde of crystal meth tweakers, so I can't believe that the beautiful new 2011 iDrive (which I love) can't do this simple thing... so I must be doing something wrong I guess?

Help!!

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
CarBrain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GL 450

I wish the satellite radio was an option. $350 down the drain because this option is in the premium package 2. I don't need satellite radio. I would rather have the fold down back seat than this and just pay for the difference in price.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
Soon ExAudi Guy
Week 36 Build
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteHicks View Post
First things first: for anyone who's thinking of going for it, this car is simply amazing. I've only had it for a couple of days but I've enjoyed every minute with it.

My only complaint is a minor one, and it has to do with the sirius satellite radio:

I've defined some channels as presets, just like on my old 2007 328xi. However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to have the display show the name and artist for the song that's playing while I'm listening. It's like the screen just shows the names of the preset channels -- and there's no way to switch to have it show the details of what's playing on the channel I'm listening to.

You can see the details of what you're currently listening to when you're in "All channels" mode, but just not when I'm on the presets screen.

The old 2007 328xi iDrive (which did this perfectly) looked like it was designed by a horde of crystal meth tweakers, so I can't believe that the beautiful new 2011 iDrive (which I love) can't do this simple thing... so I must be doing something wrong I guess?

Help!!

Two ways:

Activate the split screen, and then choose Entertainment as the content. You will then get all of the information about what is playing on your display screen.

Or

In the options for Presents, click on MDS. I think this will scroll the information at the top of the display.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

Actually just going to Satellite radio in iDrive will show the artist/album above the list of stations.

This does not duplicate between the gauges - only the station names will show as you scroll through with the steering wheel roller.

Also note that if you access your Sirius stations via "presets" (rather than all satellite stations) you won't see this info unless you do the steps outlined above.

Yes, this is stupid. Yes, this frustrates me (vs. my previous Infiniti).
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Yeah, the "presets" screen on the iDrive is stupid. Only shows the station name. I did just discovered if you are on the Sat Radio screen, you can slide left and select "Change List View". You can list the stations showing the current song name, artist, or station name. I like "Artist" option. Lets you quickly see who is playing on the different stations.
Appreciate 0