E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > REVIEW: Bimmerbrakes.com Centric Rotors--Cryo-Treated Hawk HP-Plus Track Pads

10-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

REVIEW: Bimmerbrakes.com Centric Rotors--Cryo-Treated Hawk HP-Plus Track Pads

Hey Guys,
Quick review here. I've been going to quite a few track days this summer, and obviously going through brakes left and right.

My setup for 10k miles and the first 3 track days:
Centric Drilled/Slotted Rotors NOT Cryogenically-treated
Hawk HPS Pads (Performance Street)
Stainless Steel Lines

This was a great street setup, and the pads would go about 5-7 hard laps without any fade. However, they wore down rather quickly. Great for street pads, but HP-Plus or Hawk Blue are really needed for repeated track use.
Name:  Pads.JPG
Views: 6556
Size:  288.5 KB

Realizing I had a track day coming up the next weekend and NEEDED new rotors/pads asap, I got a hold of Mike@F1autohaus around 11:00PM who responded immediately and put me in touch with Anthony at Bimmerbrakes.com..He also got responded via email that night! He made the order process extremely easy, and had them shipped out super fast. The price for the rotors was great too!

Got the rotors and brought them right to Diversified Cryogenics, aka Frozen Rotors. For those who are unfamiliar with this technology, I strongly encourage you to read up on it, as it is VERY EFFECTIVE. They have a very high-tech unit that brings the parts inside it down to -320*F at 1*/minute..then it stays at that temp for 24 hours. Here is an exerpt from their website.

http://frozenrotors.com/

What is Deep Cryogenic Processing?

Deep cryogenic treating is a one-time, homogenous process that permanently and dramatically improves the performance and useful life of metals in everything from brake rotors and performance engines to machine tools and gun barrels. Using a proprietary computer-controlled process, the metal is cooled slowly to deep cryogenic temperatures (-300°F), and slowly returned to room temperature, then heat-tempered as the final step. Computer technology allows us to regulate temperatures to 1 degree, accurately manipulating our Cryo treatment in accordance with the mass of your parts.

Although not apparent to the naked eye, the improvements to the metal are significant. Deep cryogenic processing creates dramatic increases in abrasive wear resistance and durability. The increases in tensile strength, toughness and stability couple with the release of internal residual stresses.

How the Process Works

Deep cryogenic processing permanently refines the grain structure of metals at the atomic level. Carbon particles precipitate as carbides into a lattice structure and fill in the microscopic voids. This creates metallurgically improved and stabilized rotors that have a denser, smoother surface. As a result, you reduce heat and wear on brake rotors and pads.

I had a set of their treated rotors on my 350z, and had 20k miles and 6 track events on them with zero warpage or significant cracking. The best thing about this treatment, it's only $56 per rotors. So for the cost, it is very worth it.

After putting on the new rotors and pads, bedding them in is a pretty important task. My usual routine is 5-6 100mph to 20mph with moderate braking, then letting everything cool down completely, then repeat with heavy braking.. and repeat again until it feels like it's grabbing as it should. It's important to not allow the rotors/pads to get above 700*F. I usually saw temps of 350-450 after these sessions.

Name:  Temp.JPG
Views: 6028
Size:  201.6 KB

Don't worry if there is a bit of smoke bellowing from the wheelwells. Can't really tell from the pic, but there was a lot of smoke produced from bedding them in.
Name:  Smoke.JPG
Views: 9935
Size:  163.1 KB

These pads/rotors performed incredibly well. I haven't noticed ANY fade whatsoever, and their bite is extremely strong. The only downside to these HP-Plus (and Hawk Blue) pads is the noise. They squeal VERY LOUD, especially while cold/driving on the street. I will try to put on some anti-squeal compound and see if that helps..although I've never had to use it before besides Hawk Blues on my 350z.

After about 6-8 track days I'll post an update as to how the rotors are holding up. From previous experience, I am expecting they will be warp and [major] crack free througout the entire next year.

If anyone is considering getting a set of new rotors and pads, definitely check out Bimmerbrakes.com, and find the right set of Hawk pads for your needs. I would also strongly suggest having Frozen Rotors cryogenically treat them to help them last longer and resist warping from track use.

Cheers!

Last edited by BrianMN; 10-12-2010 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
SloppyJoe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

those rotors looks pretty good. I am in the market for new rotors soon. Did you considered the other slotted\cross drilled rotor such as stop tech and cquence.net rotors?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloppyJoe View Post
those rotors looks pretty good. I am in the market for new rotors soon. Did you considered the other slotted\cross drilled rotor such as stop tech and cquence.net rotors?
I hadn't looked at cquence.net rotors, but those look good as well. I'm not convinced that the stoptech/ other $700-$1000 sets of one-piece rotors are much better than the $400-500 sets. The two piece floating rotors are great, but a bit pricey and overkill for our style of caliper.

After all, Centric is the supplier to StopTech. I'm sure Stoptech does some treatments or plating to their rotors, but I can't imagine too much more. If they cryo treated them, they would advertise it..which they don't. So who knows.

The cquence rotors site doesnt say if they're zinc coated...do you know if they are?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
SloppyJoe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

I don't think they are zinc coated. They have an option to get it coated in black or gold for 30 bux extra. I believe Mr.5 had a review of these rotors before.

About these bimmerbrakes rotor.
Whats the difference between their performance rotor and premium performance rotor?

the only difference i can see is one is black coated the other is zinc coated. also "Stronger Castings with Premium Iron and Double Disc Grinding"
whatever that entails.

Which one did you go with?

and the pricing for the slotted\cross drilled. is that 40 bux per pair? or for the whole order?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloppyJoe View Post
I don't think they are zinc coated. They have an option to get it coated in black or gold for 30 bux extra. I believe Mr.5 had a review of these rotors before.

About these bimmerbrakes rotor.
Whats the difference between their performance rotor and premium performance rotor?

the only difference i can see is one is black coated the other is zinc coated. also "Stronger Castings with Premium Iron and Double Disc Grinding"
whatever that entails.

Which one did you go with?

and the pricing for the slotted\cross drilled. is that 40 bux per pair? or for the whole order?
I'm not positive of the exact differences between the types of rotors...all I can see is the 'stronger casting'. I went with the Premium Performance..as the prices are so inexpensive anyways.

I believe the pricing is per set...I can't see it being an extra $40 per rotor.

Had these on for a week now and am still impressed!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
dghits26
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

has anyone else used these ?
Appreciate 0