E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Function of the inboard headlights

10-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Function of the inboard headlights

Sorry in advance for what may be stupid nubie question, but when exactly are the in-board headlight lamps supposed to come on?

By "in-board" I mean the bulbs that are closest to the grill (as opposed to the bulbs that are out-board and closest to the car's corners).

I have a 2008 E91 with Xenons and adaptive headlight control. I've found that the in-board lamps come on as DRL (when I have DRL enabled) and when I do a high beam flash (pushing the headlight control stalk inward but not fully into the dedent and thereby turning the high beams fully on) with the headlight switch turned to the on position. Otherwise, they're off. It seems that high and low beam lights both come from the out-board bulbs...dimmer when low beams are on, brighter when high beams are on.

In other cars I've had (non-BMW), the in-board bulbs come on and stay on - in addition to the out-board bulbs - when high beams are switched on (two bulbs = brighter lights)...but not on this car. Can it really be that the in-board bulbs are only for DRL, in addition to the AE coronas?

Can someone explain to me how this is all supposed to work? Naturally, the manual is clueless/worthless on this matter. All I can find on this board is about headlight modifications, and not about standard operation of the OEM units. I suppose I could take it back to the dealer for an explanation, but that seems like a long trip for a simple (I hope) answer....

Last edited by jsunma; 10-13-2010 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: clarity
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

You answered your question. They are DRLs and flash to pass lights. On the e92 the also function as turning lights and will turn on to light the road to the side a little better.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
You answered your question. They are DRLs and flash to pass lights. On the e92 the also function as turning lights and will turn on to light the road to the side a little better.
Just to add to this, on an E92, they are not, and don't light with the DRL (I'm sure you knew that JayKay, but just in case someone else didn't). They will also come on when you put it in reverse, I've never figured out why though.