2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Speed Limit Display 8TH accuracy? / Map Display of speed limit zones?

10-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dreaming of a F10

Question Speed Limit Display 8TH accuracy? / Map Display of speed limit zones?

Hi All,
For those of you that specified Speed limit display 8TH in Europe.

How do you find it ?

We have found it to be ok but not amazing accurate, locally here in south East London, UK it gets some roads local to us significantly wrong.

In other places its better, but there is normally a reasonable delay in it changing limits. Which is surprising because with the GPS data I wouldn't expect it to take that long.

Now I know this will improve over time with improved GPS data, however I thought it was meant to read the sign, we don't see a huge amount of evidence of that at the moment. I just wondered what others were finding?

I am sure V2 will be better, and V1 isn't bad its just not quite as good as we were expecting.

Don't get me wrong its a great concept and its still worth having because it does encourage you more to stay within the speed limit which is very important given the car is whisper quiet at speed and it works best with the HUD. In a funny kind of way because its not 100% accurate you pay even more attention to the speed limits so it does its job just not quite how we were expecting!

Also on a related note, most of other GPS systems these days highlight speed camera zones etc on the map. Audi (latest system) for example does anyone know is this possible on the BMW system?

Clearly the data is there because the speed limit display uses it! But is there anyway to get it to show on the map like you get on a Garmin for example? i.e so you can see the various speed limits before you drive into them? Perhaps as a poi?

Thanks
Paul
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 04:17 AM   #2
joy5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: xDrive30d M Sport

Correct me if I got you wrong - do you say that the Speed Limit Display uses GPS data? - No it is not.

There is a camrea housed in the rear view mirror and it scans the Max Speed limit signs on the road side. I am closely monitoring the gadegt and so far it has impressed me with accuracy, except one thing. Near the schools it has the "20 when lights on" that is a catcth it can't read the sign board

When you are just passing the sign post, it very effectively changes the display.
      10-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Lightbulb

I found it worthless just use a road angel or the like this will give accurate speed limits, after all you only need to look at the speed boards as you go by.
It's the "SPEED your doing" that matters.
      10-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
cidair
cidair
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d xDrive

It works 99% for me. Tested in Germany, Denmark and Sweden ( total of 4000km ). I´m very happy with it.
      10-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Joy5,
Thanks for your feedback,
I am glad its working well for you, thats interesting your observation about the school sign, some good feedback for BMW

Yep that's what I meant, yes I am aware of the camera, it just in our case doesn't appear to work so well.

It definitely uses GPS data in addition to the camera,

See here for more details

http://bmw.connecteddrive.info/stage.php

Speed Limit Info.
Speed Limit Info uses a camera to record the information from road signs, keeping drivers constantly informed of the current speed limit.

Description:
Speed Limit Info is a driver assistance system which keeps drivers informed of the speed limit on the road where they are currently travelling. A symbol in the form of a road sign appears in the instrument cluster and the optional Head-up Display. To record the data, the system uses a camera positioned on the windscreen near the rear-view mirror which monitors road signs at the edge of the road and variable gantry signs on motorways. This allows the system to recognise supplementary signs activated during wet conditions, for example, and temporary restrictions such as through road works. The data collected by the camera is compared with the values stored in the navigation system’s control unit and other in-vehicle data (such as the rain sensor). In so doing the Speed Limit Info system enhances comfort levels on long-distance journeys in particular.

Models:
BMW 5 Series, BMW 7 Series, BMW X5, BMW X6.

Required options:
Navigation system Professional with integrated Bluetooth mobile phone preparation, Speed Limit Info.

Dad mentioned the fact that the speed limit data isn't displayed on the map to the service technition today and he was aware of this. Dad was not the first to comment. He suspects if enough people ask BMW they will display the info on the map.

@johnbmw6
Isn't this simlar to an integrated road angel?
How do you feel the road angel is better than the BMW system?
Isn't the BMW system potentially better becuase it has the camera, which the road angel doesnt?

@cidair
Thats good to know the map data is clearly more accurte for mainland Europe!
In our case its the smaller suburban roads that are not so accurate, the motor way / a roads seam to be fine.

Thakns
Paul
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmw103 View Post
Hi Joy5,
I am glad its working well for you, thats interesting your observation about the school sign, some good feedback for BMW

Yep that's what I meant, yes I am aware of the camera, it just in our case doesn't appear to work so well.

It definitely uses GPS data in addition to the camera,

See here for more details

http://bmw.connecteddrive.info/stage.php

Speed Limit Info.
Speed Limit Info uses a camera to record the information from road signs, keeping drivers constantly informed of the current speed limit.

Description:
Speed Limit Info is a driver assistance system which keeps drivers informed of the speed limit on the road where they are currently travelling. A symbol in the form of a road sign appears in the instrument cluster and the optional Head-up Display. To record the data, the system uses a camera positioned on the windscreen near the rear-view mirror which monitors road signs at the edge of the road and variable gantry signs on motorways. This allows the system to recognise supplementary signs activated during wet conditions, for example, and temporary restrictions such as through road works. The data collected by the camera is compared with the values stored in the navigation system’s control unit and other in-vehicle data (such as the rain sensor). In so doing the Speed Limit Info system enhances comfort levels on long-distance journeys in particular.

Models:
BMW 5 Series, BMW 7 Series, BMW X5, BMW X6.

Required options:
Navigation system Professional with integrated Bluetooth mobile phone preparation, Speed Limit Info.

Dad mentioned the fact that the speed limit data isn't displayed on the map to the service technition today and he was aware of this. Dad was not the first to comment. He suspects if enough people ask BMW they will display the info on the map.

@johnbmw6
Isn't this simlar to an integrated road angel?
How do you feel the road angel is better than the BMW system?
Isn't the BMW system potentially better becuase it has the camera, which the road angel doesnt?

Thakns
Paul
Hi Paul, I actually use the GPS Rider with free weekly updates, its very good. The BMW speed limit indicator has had it's faults, maybe the latest one is more "Consistent".
I have not ordered it with my 550i M sport though.
      10-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi John,
Ah ok thanks for the info, yes I guess that is one area where BMW could improve, frequent updates with speed camera locations, they could easily to that with all the assist stuff.

I think it probably is for the most part it works its just not as falwless as say the Active Cruise Control. Or Adaptive headlights / High beam assist!

Wow cool 550iM Sport that will be very nice and quite rare in the UK at least!

Cheers
Paul
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 03:22 AM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmw103 View Post
Hi John,
Ah ok thanks for the info, yes I guess that is one area where BMW could improve, frequent updates with speed camera locations, they could easily to that with all the assist stuff.

I think it probably is for the most part it works its just not as falwless as say the Active Cruise Control. Or Adaptive headlights / High beam assist!

Wow cool 550iM Sport that will be very nice and quite rare in the UK at least!

Cheers
Paul
I was told (if true) that I was the first to order the 550i M sport in the UK and to date the only order, they have 3 on the BMw system all black.
My order was Space Grey Oyster leather black carpets; 351 19" sport wheels, comfort seats and upgraded sound ect ect.
It should look nice. and go well.
      04-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
riku2
Rep
Drives: f10

I have the speed limit info system in my F10. It uses a camera and a database of speed limits in the navigation system but the software does not work well in finland and is accurate about 70% of the time. Variable speed limits especially cause trouble for it.

Main flaw is that the software only lets the speed limits the camera sees override the navigation database speed limit for a few km. This is ok for roadworks and UK style variable motorway speed limits where the speed limit is on a gantry every few hundred metres.
In Finland all the speed limit signs on motorways are changed from 120 -> 100 for the winter (a man goes up a ladder and changes the sign, these are not electronic) however the navigation database only has 120 for motorways.

So joining a motoway in the winter the camera sees the 100km/h sign and the car shows 100. But a few km later the system ignores that and reverts back to showing 120km/h. When you pass the next junction (and next 100km/h sign) the car shows 100kh/h again.
I think 10km is the limit for the system to depend on the camera, then it reverts to the navigation database value.

The test drivers obviously did not come to Finland and drive on a motorway with junctions more than 10km apart.

I suspect it also doesn't understand signs where the speed limit is implicit in the sign but not there as a number (eg built up area sign which means 50km/h but doesn't actually state 50). The same would apply to old UK motorway signs that meant 70mph but didn't state it (I think the UK changed this and has explicit 70mph signs when entering the motorway). The database would anyway match in this situation (if the motorway is in the navigation database).
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 04:15 AM   #10
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

I do agree with you - it is far from perfect. Although it does recognise the UK national speed limit sign (Black Diagonal line on white Circle) and displays the speed limit according to the road type. I find a few problems

1) It likes to pickup signs for side roads. e.g. A dual carriage way which is 70 mph which has a turning off to a 50 mph road - it picks up the 50 sign and displays this for the dual carriage way.
2) Managed Motorways where the speed limit is displayed as electronic signs on overhead gantry's. Here it is a very hit and miss whether it reads them. Around Newport in South wales some time ago the speed limit was 50 mph during all the road works. Now the Sat nav has been programmed in the database as 50 mph for this area (and there is no way you can correct it - at least with TomTom you can correct it yourself) so when there are no signs switched on it displays 50 and as it doesn't read them very well even if it is 40 it still displays 50 so you can never trust it. Waste of time really.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 04:55 AM   #11
riku2
Rep
Drives: f10

Mine will make exactly the same mistake with parallel roads (express and local lanes in american terms). Although I can partly forgive it picking up the lower speed limit for the parallel local lanes especially if the express/through lanes don't also have a limit shown.

We do have some variable speed limit signs in Helsinki too although they are not on gantries but at the side of the road where normal speed limit signs are. The camera is quite poor at picking up these signs (if at all?). They are a red circle with white numbers inside. Perhaps the difference to normal speed limit signs (red circle and black text with either white or yellow background) is the problem.

I certainly knew to avoid the lane change warning system, which also works on the camera. The lane markings are so worn away in Finland by the studded winter tires that I knew it would not work properly. I doubt BMW Finland even know how well these options work, despite them gladly taking your money to order them.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidair View Post
It works 99% for me. Tested in Germany, Denmark and Sweden ( total of 4000km ). I´m very happy with it.
Same here, works like a charm.
Tested it in Holland, Belgium, France, Germany, Denmark.

I think the camera system is looking for roadsigns on the "continental" side of the road.
It could explain the apparent lack of accuracy in the UK
      04-15-2012, 06:54 AM   #13
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Alpina B4 S Coupe AWD

Works for me too, I think the guesstimated accuracy of the system is better than the typical human driver. Just don't fully rely on it but use some common sense.
      05-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #14
Bowers
Rep
Drives: F10 2013

I've used the system for about 20.000km on my F10 now and my experience is that it's spot on about 70% of the time. It reads the signs very well, but when a road has junctions or just no signs it's relying on the GPS data... and the speedlimits stored in the maps are not very good.
I can actually sum it up like this:
When using camera: 98% accurate
When using GPS data: 50% accurate

Overall i'm glad I got it. I can always turn it off if I don't need it
Appreciate 0