Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Kalach.net Told to delete wheels pics!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-05-2005, 12:19 AM   #1
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '04/E53/X5/3.0/PP

Angry Kalach.net Told to delete wheels pics!

For those of us that are obsessed with wheels, and know the Kalachwebsite that has pictures of every BMW OEM wheels available with thumbnails, this will come as a shock!

Apparently BMW has told him to delete all the pics because of copyright laws..Can you believe that? That was the first and only place to go when reviewing what wheels options to consider!

This sucks!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 12:44 AM   #2
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

http://zoouz.free.fr/wheels.htm

This one works...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 01:06 AM   #3
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011
Thanks! I was going through withdrawl!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 02:46 AM   #4
MarkA
Resident Nürburgring Junkie
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320Si

Sometimes I think these enforcements of copyright backfire on the manufacturers.

No one would visit such a site if it wasn't useful. So why was it useful?

Because having a single repository with fitment guide of every BMW wheel helps us make choices about what wheels we will order from BMW.

These sites may even indirectly bring greater revenue to BMW since we may even have decided to go and buy two sets.. or a larger more expensive set than previously because we actually saw an example picture of the wheel, not just some stupid spec inscription like, style 411..(yeah that really informs me!)

Come on BMW .. if you are going to shut these down, then at least fill the gap and provide your own site with all the wheels for reference!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 03:14 AM   #5
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA
Sometimes I think these enforcements of copyright backfire on the manufacturers.

No one would visit such a site if it wasn't useful. So why was it useful?

Because having a single repository with fitment guide of every BMW wheel helps us make choices about what wheels we will order from BMW.

These sites may even indirectly bring greater revenue to BMW since we may even have decided to go and buy two sets.. or a larger more expensive set than previously because we actually saw an example picture of the wheel, not just some stupid spec inscription like, style 411..(yeah that really informs me!)

Come on BMW .. if you are going to shut these down, then at least fill the gap and provide your own site with all the wheels for reference!
Ditto! Just like the BMWUSA.com configurator and accessories data. It contains about 10% of what is actually available, and I dont think anyone has ever ordered a car to a specific combination based on what they saw on the "build" section...I actually took the time to fill out the feedback survey they "popped up" on their website..They probably wont be sending me any free prizes, lets put it that way...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 05:12 AM   #6
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Bozo,
Is actually possible to substitute rims on an order? IE, I am ordering a 325 with SP. I like the fact that the rims are 17in, but I am not CRAZY about the style. I know you can buy rims from the dealer after the fact, but I think it would be cool if I could substitute another 17' rim style instead of style 161. I guess my point is, I don't want to have to buy a second set of 162 rims/tires (for an arm and a leg), when I could have just substituted during production.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 06:36 AM   #7
Zouz
Rep
Drives: no car

Hi, I am the webmaster of this website.
2 months ago, my provider contacted me.
He told me that BMW wanted me to delete all the copyright pictures on my website. I did it but I left the wheel section.

And yesterday, my provider contacted me again, BMW want me to delete this wection too !!!

I don't know why they do this ?

Last edited by Zouz; 05-05-2005 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 06:42 AM   #8
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouz
He told me that BMW wanted me to delete all the copyright pictures on my website. I done it but I left the wheel section.

And yesterday, my provider contacted me again, BMW want me to delete this wection too !!!

Zouz, I'm very sorry to hear that. Your wheels section is great and is the most comprehensive of its kind out there. Looks like BMW is cracking down on the use of its materials on the internet They're hurting the very people that help their bottom line, real enthusiasts who would do things like visit webpages showing detailed information on every OE wheel available.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 06:47 AM   #9
MarkA
Resident Nürburgring Junkie
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320Si

Quote:
Bozo,
Is actually possible to substitute rims on an order? IE, I am ordering a 325 with SP. I like the fact that the rims are 17in, but I am not CRAZY about the style. I know you can buy rims from the dealer after the fact, but I think it would be cool if I could substitute another 17' rim style instead of style 161. I guess my point is, I don't want to have to buy a second set of 162 rims/tires (for an arm and a leg), when I could have just substituted during production.

You can! (at least you can here).. with the packs I ordered I would normally be getting the 158 wheel (17'') and while I've seen the car in the flesh with those wheels and they are actually not too bad, I prefer the 161 wheels (also 17'').

There is a difference between the 158 style and the 161 style however :The 161 rears alloys are wider than the front (Front : 7.5J and Rear 8J (iirc) complete with 225 front and 255 rear sports runflat tyres) whilst the 158s are 7.5J all round and come with 225 all season touring run flat tyres) thus there is a price difference.

The options catalogue makes allowances for that and states that if for example I've already chosen the Exec Dynamic package (which obviously supplies the 158 alloy wheels and 225 tyres) then the cost to change to 161s is 500 euro.. as opposed to 1500 if I didn't already have the pack (I got my dealer to discount that further to 350 Euro).

For styles that are the same size and use the same size and type of tyre the price to change is at no cost (but must be done at ordering time).

Isn't that the same in every market?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 07:43 AM   #10
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Bozo,
You're buying from diplomat or military sales, right? Anyway, you CAN substitute the wheels..HOWEVER, they absolutley rape you on the trade in value of the wheels presently on the car...no matter WHAT kind they are..I was going to trade in 156's for 162's, and they wanted 3200 bucks...(so how much were the damn 156's?!)

you might pay hundreds less, but remember, the 162's are at least 3 grand for a set...I would buy the 162's after the fact, and put them on ebay...You might even want to keep them, but selling them at least youll make SOME of your money back...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 08:13 AM   #11
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
He told me that BMW wanted me to delete all the copyright pictures on my website. I did it but I left the wheel section.

Oh yeah! Welcome to the board!! Youre pretty much a celebrity as far as Im concerned...Just out of curiosity, what significance is BMW to you? Do you own one, or drive one? Or two, three, etc.....
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 08:32 AM   #12
Reckamech
Master of Disaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Sport

Quote:

I know it may look stupid but it is very smart on the part of BMW. The more time you spent on their site shopping for wheels the more prone you are to see all the other things they have to offer. An example would be when you went looking for a wheel and ended up getting the wheel and the cell phone ejection box. I know you think this is bad you should have seen the mess BMW made over at the M5 board. They made him split his site up in two seperate parts or face a law suit.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 09:19 AM   #13
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckamech
I know it may look stupid but it is very smart on the part of BMW. The more time you spent on their site shopping for wheels the more prone you are to see all the other things they have to offer. An example would be when you went looking for a wheel and ended up getting the wheel and the cell phone ejection box. I know you think this is bad you should have seen the mess BMW made over at the M5 board. They made him split his site up in two seperate parts or face a law suit.
What site was that?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 09:49 AM   #14
Zouz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozo5521
Oh yeah! Welcome to the board!! Youre pretty much a celebrity as far as Im concerned...Just out of curiosity, what significance is BMW to you? Do you own one, or drive one? Or two, three, etc.....
I am just a BMW fan, that's all.
I am 20 year old so for the moment, no BMW, it is too expensive for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 09:55 AM   #15
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am just a BMW fan, that's all.
I am 20 year old so for the moment, no BMW, it is too expensive for me.
Perfect reason..Dont worry, you'll have one sooner than you think...You might want to check out a 118 or a 120! You'll be surprised at how inexpensive they are!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 11:10 AM   #16
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
this is redicuolous, I hate when these big corporations do this stuff, its rediculous, its all these lawyers they have inside them that decide this stuff. I remeber when porsche was cracking down on all the chat boards that had a porsche emblem on the page and was actually sueing them, can you believe that ! its crazy. its a tough life for us REAL car enthusiasts but we keep chugging along

btw if you ever want to host a wheels website, id be happy to do it, its all about the e90 love for me!
      05-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #17
Zouz
Rep

For the moment, BMW has only contacted EASYNET (my provider).

So I put the wheel page at FREE.FR.
The question is when are they going to contact FREE ?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 01:46 PM   #18
BrettInLJ
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i M-Sport

Quote:

I hope your are saving them locally? Would it be ok if you could save the .html deck with the pics into a zip file and maybe email them on a by request basis privately? It really is a service to the BMW community.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 04:27 PM   #19
Zouz
Rep

Now the website is at FREE.FR, no more at EASYNET.
So if BMW contact FREE.FR to delete the pictures, I will send a zip file to those who want it.
For the moment there is no problem, the website is still online.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2005, 11:52 PM   #20
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Now the website is at FREE.FR, no more at EASYNET.
So if BMW contact FREE.FR to delete the pictures, I will send a zip file to those who want it.
For the moment there is no problem, the website is still online.
Great! Lets hope it stays that way!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2005, 10:05 AM   #21
Reckamech
Master of Disaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozo5521
What site was that?
http://www.m5board.com/