E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum > Not sure I'm going to buy from Tirerack again in the future.

01-24-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Not sure I'm going to buy from Tirerack again in the future.

This isn't a slam bitchy post. Just relaying my thoughts on my 1st, and probably only transaction, with tirerack.

I was buying 235/35-19 and 265/30-19 PS2s. I'd found them about $25 per tire cheaper at some shady online tire shop that I couldn't find any feedback for. So I figured, eh, it's only $100 go with the big boys. I fully admit, I was also lazy and didn't see if local would match tirerack's price. Our sales tax is 9.2%, I think, either that or 8.9%, can't remember ... point is it's a lot more than shipping charges.

So I go ahead and order. Now right about this time our CC# gets stolen by a hotel clerk at the hotel my wife's staying at for business. We guess this because we hadn't used the card for 3mo prior to her giving it when she checked in, and didn't use it since. Anyway, so we cancel the card and get a new one. I place the order with tirerack with the new one.

CC charge declined. Okay, here we go. Turns out in the end, eventhough we called in to activate the card it didn't get activated. So that's no fault of Tirerack.

What I did find kind of annoying is that first they wouldn't process the order without calling to verify it was me placing the order. Then once it was placed, the order again sat in limbo while somebody called to verify my address. Uh, couldn't the first person who called and verified the cc info, including address have taken care of that?

Small beans, I know. But when I'm paying more for a product, I expect there is better service behind it.

Okay, so that's all taken care of, credit card gets straightened out finally and the order ships. Once it does ship, holy crap it got to me fast.

Now here's where my one BIG complaint comes. Packaging. They arrive at my house bundled in plastic lashing straps with a shipping tag slapped on the tread. Every other time I've ordered tires online they've been shipped, protected in boxes. The lashing straps are so tight they're just about cutting into the sidewall. That's $1400 worth of rubber, just haphazardly stuck on a UPS truck subject to box cutters, heavier boxes, etc.

Now, I didn't bother to call and say anything to Tire Rack either ... I'm lazy (only reason I'm writing up this long as post is because I'm waiting for a server install) and it wouldn't really help matters. What's done is done.

Am I way off base here, or would you be kind of cheezed about $1400 worth of rubber just shipping bare?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
mtndog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5c, 992GTS, x5 M60

Honestly….I think you’re off base. Although it was a pain in your @$$ to have Tire Rack call to verify the CC and address it was in your best interest for them to do so. I would rather have them check and verify verses the alternative of CC fraud.

I have received 14 to 16 sets of tire and wheel packages over the years from the Tire Rack and all were shipped the way you described. I have never had an issue. Your four tires or the thousands of other tires that Tire Rack receives daily from manufactures aren’t shipped in individual boxes. At least your package arrived in a timely manner and wasn’t damaged. I’m dealing with one of the major shipping companies right now because they seem to have lost my CF interior trim. What 19” wheels are you putting the PS2’s on?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

This is the first I've heard of about tires being shipped in boxes. Then again, I've never bought just tires alone. I guess as long as they're not damaged it's okay.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I have ordered my past 3 sets of tires online. All of them come packaged the way you describe.

The tires are fine when they are shipped that way... just clean them off after they have been mounted...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
I've had about 3 experiences with tires from tirerack, shipped direct to an appointed installer and I have not had any problems with regards to in-transit damage. I think they know what they're doing, if this was a compromising way to ship them, they'd have addressed it. Also, I think only wheels get the in-box treatment.

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
obLu
Major
Rep

Cool, thanks for putting things into perspective for me guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I've ordered from Tire Rack for the past 4-5 years and I have always had good experiences. Usually, I have it drop-shipped at an installer. They never came in boxes, but then again. I don't see how the back of a UPS truck could cause more abuse than what they would commonly experience on the roads.

Overall, I think your experience may have been tainted by the credit card issue (which is probably more of an issue with the credit card protections), but I wouldn't hold that against Tire Rack.

I have only had one mistake with Tire Rack. The shipping label was attached to the wrong set of tires. They immediately sent out another set "next day service" and had the installer send the other set back.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

just wanted to echo what some of the others have already said, that this is how tires are usually shipped. at least from tirerack.com and tires.com.
      02-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #9
obLu
Major
Rep

The shipping was a big part of the equation, but the other part was that the prices weren't all that great and the service wasn't super top notch. Then again, the prices were a lot better than my local discount tire or costco (not that I'd trust either with doing a decent balance job) and once they shipped, they shipped holy friggin fast.

I guess from my end, with tire rack's reputation, I was just expecting a more Nordstrom style experience. I pay, tires come, I'm happy, done.

I'm thinking next time I'm just going to buy the tires mounted at the same time I buy the wheels, and get them re-balanced by my favorite shop. Can't be that much more expensive, and would alleviate some of the hassle.

Tire rack wasn't truly bad, it just wasn't truly great either. Can't figure out why I expected it though, I have a BMW after all. Not like my dealer has service even approaching Tire Rack's. At least tire rack delivered when they said they would and shipped what they were supposed to. That's two better than my dealer ever manages. I should be used to and prepared for crappy service by now.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #10
Tjoines
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 M3 Convertable

Thanks for your comments.

As you surmised our reason for needing to call was to verify it was actually you placing the order. It is unfortunate, but people such as the hotel clerk, do regularly call us and attempt to defraud both us and the original credit card holder and basically steal from us both. It is our responsibility to ensure the cardholder has authorized the purchase. The credit card company takes no responsibility.
Once someone has used your card it can be very difficult to find all of the unauthorized charges and to go through the process of submitting charge back requests through your credit card company.
We should have been better able to explain the need for this to you.

We ship tires in the same way they are shipped to us. Tires are designed to withstand the abuse of supporting several thousand pounds of weight for over thousands of miles on less than perfect roads. They are very resistant to abrasion. On the rare occasion a tire arrives damaged it is normally from getting stuck on a conveyer belt at UPS or having something such as paint spill on it during shipping. We work to quickly assist the very few customers this happens to.

Boxes and other packaging add cost and time to the shipping process that we have found is not necessary.

Tim Joines | Director Of Internet Business
__________________________________________________ ________

The Tire Rack
7101 Vorden Parkway
South Bend, IN 46628
O: 800 428 8355 ext. 303
O: 574 287 2345 ext. 303
F: 413 480 5822
tjoines@tirerack.com

http://www.tirerack.com
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 07:21 PM   #11
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

I have been getting tires like this for YEARS from them and have not had 1 bad experience. I give a BIG thumbs up to tire rack.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 01:42 PM   #12
obLu
Major
Rep

Quote:
As you surmised our reason for needing to call was to verify it was actually you placing the order.
Oh yeah, I had no problem with that ... my issue was that I was called twice. Once to confirm it was me, once to confirm the shipping address. Could've easily been handled all on one call, or somebody actually checking that the shipping address entered online matched the shipping address on the credit card.

I highly doubt a CC thief is going to want to ship stolen goods to the address of the card holder.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #13
Tjoines
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 M3 Convertable

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu View Post
I highly doubt a CC thief is going to want to ship stolen goods to the address of the card holder.
I can see how you could feel that. Unfortunately the credit card companies are not careful about verifying address changes. We have found many times that a credit card thief calls and changes the billing address to a vacant house and waits for the delivery. You would be amazed at the complexity and size of some of the credit card fraud rings and the lengths they will go to to steal. If every merchant was careful crime would not pay so well and neither of us would have to bother with these procedures.

We would much rather avoid inconveniencing customers and avoid the credit card verification process. We will continue to look for ways to simplify the process and still keep our customers and our selves safe from people such as the hotel clerk.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #14
JIMD1709
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe Alpine White

They were just trying to protect YOU.

As for the tires not being boxed, no big deal. Think of what an tire goes through in it's 20,000+ miles or so of pavement contact, extreme hot and cold, chemicals and oil on the road, cleaners, mounting machines, ect. They'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 04:29 PM   #15
obLu
Major
Rep

Quote:
We have found many times that a credit card thief calls and changes the billing address to a vacant house and waits for the delivery
Ahhh ... see, I wouldn't be any good at it. Never even thought about doing that.

Thanks for chiming in btw. And like I said originally, this wasn't meant as a pure bitch-fest post. I could've easily picked up the phone and addressed it with a Tire Rack if I'd felt that strongly about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #16
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

fwiw, i like the tire rack.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 11:13 AM   #17
VakhariaINC
Private
Rep
Drives: '99 528i sport

Some of these threads are just ridiculous. If you didn't know that tires were wrapped in the way they were, you really shouldn't be jumping to conclusions as to the "poor" packaging method.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2007, 08:02 AM   #18
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

you know, i said to myself i would never chime in to these type of thread, but i am too stubborn. I dont see an issue with shipping. If I order tires online, I am more concern about what is the production date of the tires they are shipping to me. I will be very pissed if I purchased tire in late 2006 and they shipped me tires produced in 2005. That is pure scam and disrespect of customers. Ok, so it was a little put tire production dates are important to me.
      03-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #19
obLu
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VakhariaINC View Post
Some of these threads are just ridiculous. If you didn't know that tires were wrapped in the way they were, you really shouldn't be jumping to conclusions as to the "poor" packaging method.
Not really getting the point of your post. How would I go about knowing "that tires were wrapped in the way they were" before receiving them? Should I haved trotted off to all the local tire stores in my area and asked them how tires were shipped before I ordered them online?

I stated previously that no other time I'd ordered tires did they come that way. Seemed like a poor packaging method to me. Especially for $1400 worth of rubber.

But if you'd bothered to read, the subject had already been beaten into the ground a month ago.

The post was my opinion, and asking if it was justified. Take it for what it is, but please don't say that it's a ridiculous post and then add unthoughtful comments on top of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #20
obLu
Major
Rep

Quote:
If I order tires online, I am more concern about what is the production date of the tires they are shipping to me.
Whoa, that never even crossed my mind. How would you go about finding the production date of a tire? Is it usually stamped on the sidewall?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 06:08 AM   #21
SCOTT748
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 528i

I'm not seeing a problem here??? You got the tires with no damage, for the price that you agreed to, and they were shipped on time.
They also verified your CC info and shipping address for your own protection.
Not sure what else you can ask for from a tire company???
Keep up the good work Tire Rack!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #22
2009BMW335
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT748 View Post
I'm not seeing a problem here??? You got the tires with no damage, for the price that you agreed to, and they were shipped on time.
They also verified your CC info and shipping address for your own protection.
Not sure what else you can ask for from a tire company???
Keep up the good work Tire Rack!
for real, i know it's an old thread, but theyre tires. it's not like the should ship them in a satin lined coffin.
Appreciate 0