E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Intake Questions,Injen VS aFe VS Dinan

11-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
AJ335
Private
Rep
Drives: 09' E90 - 13' R35

Intake Questions,Injen VS aFe VS Dinan

1.it looks like the aFe stage 2 intake is just above the hot engine,so the tempreture of the air flowing in will be high,but i saw lots of aFe users,any feed back ?

2.Injen one is less closer to the engine,But one thing I'm considering is will there be a water leakage problem?

3.Dinan says there intake is sealed in a carbonfiber box,tus the tempreture will be lower,but it doesnt really make sence to me,since it's still sitting on a hot engine, box or no box doesn't really matter,does it?

Is there any other options I can go with?
I'm new to this forum.plz correct me if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ335 View Post
1.it looks like the aFe stage 2 intake is just above the hot engine,so the tempreture of the air flowing in will be high,but i saw lots of aFe users,any feed back ?

2.Injen one is less closer to the engine,But one thing I'm considering is will there be a water leakage problem?

3.Dinan says there intake is sealed in a carbonfiber box,tus the tempreture will be lower,but it doesnt really make sence to me,since it's still sitting on a hot engine, box or no box doesn't really matter,does it?

Is there any other options I can go with?
I'm new to this forum.plz correct me if I'm wrong.
The AFE DCI utilizes a partial heat shield enclosure to minimize issues of heat soak whereas the Injen/BMS DCI does not have this. The Dinan is a fully enclosed box (like the AFE ELITE SYS) but due to the sealed nature of the design, it is much more restrictive than a DCI system such as AFE/BMS/INJEN.

The N54 Engine is not as susceptible to heat soak issues as the NA BMW engines, so you shouldn't be too worried.

Also, .

Welcome to the board.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Jlevi SW View Post
The N54 Engine is not as susceptible to heat soak issues as the NA BMW engines, so you shouldn't be too worried.
Since when? This engine gets hotter than any other BMW engine I have ever owned.

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
omarbaig
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Depends what are you looking for Cold air intake or just short ram intake kits. Cold air kits normally have longer pipe and the filter sits down where the cold air can be easily sucked into the throttle body.
I know a person who customized a pipe specially designed to sit far away where the cold air flows. It works brilliantly, however on a rainy day I haven't seen him driving around. As far as the cold air intake system is concerned I would say dinan is the best so far because the box around the intake is pretty far away from the engine and also dinan provides a proper air channel/ duct through front bumper
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratplaya06 View Post
Since when? This engine gets hotter than any other BMW engine I have ever owned.
See here
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2014
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Cal,

You must have missed the research done by Former_Boosted_Is.

He did a comparo on intake temps of CAI vs DCI and in most cases the CAI was producing 7-9F COOLER intake temps.
      11-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

your are missing the point with comments like " sitting on a hot engine," it isn't very important where parts of the intake are sitting (remember, the air flows through a hot a$$ turbo charger on it's way into your engine, but it is moving very fast so where the pipe is doesn't matter as much. What matters more is where the air is coming from. 120 to 150 degree engine bay or -10 to 110 degree outside? Many people support the stock intake, as the air is coming from outside the engine bay, with a freer flowing filter. If I were to buy an intake, it would be the Dinan (where are teh cheap knock offs!?!?! Still waiting...) It also matters how much boost you are running, as you can exceed the capacity of the stock intake.

No matter what option you go with, it will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Now see here
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...89#post6763989
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
The AFE DCI utilizes a partial heat shield enclosure to minimize issues of heat soak whereas the Injen/BMS DCI does not have this. The Dinan is a fully enclosed box (like the AFE ELITE SYS) but due to the sealed nature of the design, it is much more restrictive than a DCI system such as AFE/BMS/INJEN.

Also, .

Welcome to the board.
certainly some misinformation in this post.........great

OP, if you want the best intake out right now, go w either a Stett or the Dinan.
      11-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
Iwantm3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

I have a question since the dci supporters say that the air gets hot anyway going through hot ass turbos, why don't other turbo cars use dci but are using CAI ?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #11
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
go injen if you are looking to drop coin... they never inflate their whp, they sit off the engine and have a plenium that push air both to the cones and allow air to cool the motor as well. If you have the extra $... don't waste it on CAI. Turbos need more air.... not so much cold air. Nothing would be better than more cold air but piping tends to add restriction, restriciton adds strain on turbos, and strain produces heat. The process of sucking the cold air from far away makes the turbos hotter, and work harder. Better off with easy warm air than hard to get cold air. If your on a budget get a BMS dci or EAS.... if you have the coin... get the injen, looks awesome but won't gain much over just a plain dci. Sheilds and boxes are what people want to see and thats why they are on the market...not because they are allowing for more hp..
      11-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eater View Post
go injen if you are looking to drop coin... they never inflate their whp, they sit off the engine and have a plenium that push air both to the cones and allow air to cool the motor as well. If you have the extra $... don't waste it on CAI. Turbos need more air.... not so much cold air. Nothing would be better than more cold air but piping tends to add restriction, restriciton adds strain on turbos, and strain produces heat. The process of sucking the cold air from far away makes the turbos hotter, and work harder. Better off with easy warm air than hard to get cold air. If your on a budget get a BMS dci or EAS.... if you have the coin... get the injen, looks awesome but won't gain much over just a plain dci. Sheilds and boxes are what people want to see and thats why they are on the market...not because they are allowing for more hp..
According to FBIS' data, there is no increase in WG Duty Cycle with the Stett intake vs. DCI. So that throws the 'not getting enough air' theory out.

And yes, the air does go thru the turbos..but remember that it is 7-9* colder at the throttle body..so colder in does mean colder out.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
i have yet to see wastegate data compairing dci to cai
      11-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eater View Post
i have yet to see wastegate data compairing dci to cai
I'll post my logs after work today

They show no significant increase in WGDC
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #15
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
OK, i see the newest data on Stett 2nd gen intake. It is impressive for sure, now its a matter of value. 7 degrees cooler means..... 1.5whp? something like that? If you don't like that number double it... 3 whp for another $400. I would make sure that I was earning money at the track, not spending it for gains like that.

The new stett appears to be superior to the dci.

Stett intake $499
DCI... I just made one for $47.00 out of 2 2.5 open faced cones from vibrant and 2 muffler couplers from Adavanced auto parts. They reduce from 2.5 to 2.25 so I even have a velocity stack like the Injen intake. I have a peice of coreugated plastic that I cut out to wrap around the cones and block out the engine heat. I only use it in the summer but it keeps my cones and my charge pipe ice cold. I thought about selling this cut out but I got lazy and didn't follow through. I have some friends that are making them now for everyones cars... Check out GRLPWR on n54's intake box. I made that for her.....
we beleive in cold air.... just affordable cold air....