E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > Coating for DP's

11-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
iwanna335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 SGM, ZSP, 6m, Nav

Coating for DP's

I'm ordering the AR downpipes and was trying to get opinions on their ceramic coating. I'm sold on the benefits of having the DP's coated but for an extra $160 I'd like to see what my other options are.
Are there options in or around ATL to get this done cheaper and good quality.
Thanks
Todd
      11-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
Boris@SMS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 05

Millers
www.millerpowdercoating.com

They have good prices......
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
IlChengis
once Treppiede
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Hey Todd,
I am not sure Miller offers ceramic coating.

A couple of weeks ago I did research for ceramic coaters in the Atlanta area and only found one ceramic coater specialized in automotive parts, all the others were industrial ceramic coaters (for pumps etc) and would not touch automotive stuff. This guy I found was way south of Atlanta (like Griffin iirc) and said it would take 10-14 days for the pipes to be done after drop off because they were backed up. I asked the types of coating they offered and he didn't give me much information.

I did some more research online and read about the Extreme Sterling coating from JetHot. Got in touch with a rep there and got quoted about $80 for the set + shipping back and forth. We're talking about triple inside and outside coating here, should be really good stuff. Turnaround time (according to the rep) was 3-5 days from the time the pipes arrived to their facility in AZ. They also have a shop in NC but last week they had just relocated in a bigger warehouse and they wouldn't be operational again until next week... so by the time you get your pipes from AR you should be able to send them to NC and get them back even quicker.

Let me know if you want me to put you in touch with the JetHot rep.

Good luck,

-Walter
      11-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Boris@SMS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 05

Walter they actually do ceramic coat,i've had many down pipes done over there....aswell as turbo manifolds.....
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

How much are you really gonna save after you pay for the coating and shipping, $30 or $40? Is it really worth it? I'd just buy them coated and save the wait time. Actually, I just did!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
IlChengis
once Treppiede
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris@SMS View Post
Walter they actually do ceramic coat,i've had many down pipes done over there....aswell as turbo manifolds.....
Thanks Boris, that is good to know, I wish they had advertised that on their site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
How much are you really gonna save after you pay for the coating and shipping, $30 or $40? Is it really worth it? I'd just buy them coated and save the wait time. Actually, I just did!
No doubt, wait time is painful. In my case, however, it was worth it. I got the pipes 'gently used' and paid well under $400 for them. They were nicely broken in and ready for some ceramic coating. I think I will have saved a good $200-300 when all is said and done and I am thinking (although I may be wrong) that the Extreme Sterling from JetHot is probably better than the coat that AR/MS/BBFab offers.

-Walter
      11-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlChengis View Post
Thanks Boris, that is good to know, I wish they had advertised that on their site.

No doubt, wait time is painful. In my case, however, it was worth it. I got the pipes 'gently used' and paid well under $400 for them. They were nicely broken in and ready for some ceramic coating. I think I will have saved a good $200-300 when all is said and done and I am thinking (although I may be wrong) that the Extreme Sterling from JetHot is probably better than the coat that AR/MS/BBFab offers.

-Walter
I see - didn't realize you were buying used. That sounds like a good approach though. The other thing you might try then is contacting Andrew at AR Design directly and talk to him about the coating they use - I know it's very high quality and perhaps he can get it done for you as well. That said, I'm guessing the Jet-Hot coating is probably high quality as well but just thought I'd give you one more avenue to check out.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
IlChengis
once Treppiede
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
I see - didn't realize you were buying used. That sounds like a good approach though. The other thing you might try then is contacting Andrew at AR Design directly and talk to him about the coating they use - I know it's very high quality and perhaps he can get it done for you as well. That said, I'm guessing the Jet-Hot coating is probably high quality as well but just thought I'd give you one more avenue to check out.
Nivedh and I got our used DPs a couple of weeks ago and sent them out to JetHot already... but your advice is still valid for Todd, provided Andrew has yet to ship his set out.

Ciao,

-Walter
      11-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
iwanna335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 SGM, ZSP, 6m, Nav

I'm sure mine are still sitting in CO. I did get them sans coating. I can ship things pretty cheap if I choose to use someone outside ATL. I just thought $160 was a bad deal on some good pipes. Calling Miller and Jet-Hot tomorrow, let y'all know what I come up with.
      11-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
IlChengis
once Treppiede
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanna335 View Post
I just thought $160 was a bad deal on some good pipes. Calling Miller and Jet-Hot tomorrow, let y'all know what I come up with.
Is $160 what AR charges for coating? But yes, good luck with your choice. To get your quote with JetHot, just shoot an email to Dan (dgroff {.at.} ncoat.com) and tell him Walter (the guy that just sent two sets of DPs) sent you. He'll hook you up and you will likely be able to send them to the facility in NC.

-Walter