E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > who's got a 335is with a tune?

11-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
GotBoost?
Banned
Rep
Drives: fast

who's got a 335is with a tune?

please post your experience

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
k726
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

I have had both JB3 and Procede in the 335is. I started with the JB3 and worked with custom maps with Terry for quite a while. I finally gave up after a month of constantly logging and adjusting variables. Since I have been working with Shiv on the beta maps for the 335is DCT. Car runs insane. So much so that I cant hook anymore without DRs on my RFTs. Basically the Procede works out of the box now, and the JB3 will have to wait until G4 and custom maps.

Hope this helps. I believe I was the first person running a tuned 335is, so I have really explored the venues. Also gave Active Autowerke a copy of my DME so they could work on a flash tune. They did an excellent job and they have the flash available. So you have two very solid options, and then when the JB4 hits, you will have 3 good choices.

Nothing yet from Dinan or GIAC, that I have seen.

Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
GotBoost?
Banned
Rep
Drives: fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by k726 View Post
I have had both JB3 and Procede in the 335is. I started with the JB3 and worked with custom maps with Terry for quite a while. I finally gave up after a month of constantly logging and adjusting variables. Since I have been working with Shiv on the beta maps for the 335is DCT. Car runs insane. So much so that I cant hook anymore without DRs on my RFTs. Basically the Procede works out of the box now, and the JB3 will have to wait until G4 and custom maps.

Hope this helps. I believe I was the first person running a tuned 335is, so I have really explored the venues. Also gave Active Autowerke a copy of my DME so they could work on a flash tune. They did an excellent job and they have the flash available. So you have two very solid options, and then when the JB4 hits, you will have 3 good choices.

Nothing yet from Dinan or GIAC, that I have seen.

Goodluck!
yes i've been talking to a certified GIAC dealer and they said the same thing i've been a dedicated BMS user for quite some time now and kind of looking into the PROcede side for the 335is my plan for this car is to document everything to see improvements

i'm gonna do everything

tons of dyno runs 1/4 mile etc, and just wanna see how the DCT/aftermarket tunes are doing on the 1/4

thanks !
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

I'm another JB3 -> Procede convert, and am very very happy with it.

Regarding dynos and 1/4 mile times, both tunes will yeild similar results. It's in the daily driving and varying conditions where the big differences lie.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
I think anyone looking for a tune right now should defiantly wait and see what the JB3 G4 has to offer.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
I think anyone looking for a tune right now should defiantly wait and see what the JB3 G4 has to offer.
Or conversely, what it won't offer: Ignition timing control and complete boost control.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

The G4 won't have timing control, the most important thing.

The more appropriate argument is "wait for the 'pro' board to come out"....however, that will only have [close to] similar functionality as what the procede is now. BMS has claimed they will have more features than what the procede currently has, but hasn't 'released' anything yet.

Another thing to note...It's likely that it's going to take much more time than expected for BMS to design, develop, and perfect the functionality and features of the Pro. That is, if they are truly NOT reverse-engineering the PROcede as they claim. Look at how long it took BMS to make the JB3 to where it currently is. It seemed that every update made the previous firmware seem archaic. I'd have to expect that the G4 and the PRO boards will have their fair share of bugs and incomplete functionalities once it publicly comes out. Obviously, I hope that I'm wrong in this.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
k726
United_States
Rep

Remember though the procede is ready to go with the 335is and currently is the only piggyback available. Active autowerke has the only flash.

You will love the procede though. I didn't even remove the tune to have an o2 sensor replaced under warranty. I paid out of pocket so I could just continue tearing up the roads. I'm in love with this car and I did have a review of the procede and jb3 in the car. Just search it. Good luck. And make a smart choice!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by k726 View Post
Remember though the procede is ready to go with the 335is and currently is the only piggyback available. Active autowerke has the only flash.

You will love the procede though. I didn't even remove the tune to have an o2 sensor replaced under warranty. I paid out of pocket so I could just continue tearing up the roads. I'm in love with this car and I did have a review of the procede and jb3 in the car. Just search it. Good luck. And make a smart choice!
I know you helped with some of the early 335is map development but since then much progress was made and there is a nice stable 14psi 335is mapping available for the G3 board. So the JB3 G3 is definitely an option. Although we're so close to the G4 and it's new form of boost control that might be worth the wait. The JB+ has actually been working really well with the 335is as well.

LOL at the rest of the trash talking and FUD others are chipping in. Many are going to be impressed with the upcoming tunes coming out. As I said before it's a great time to be an N54 owner.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Short Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Or conversely, what it won't offer: Ignition timing control and complete boost control.
Ya know Shiv, people who base their advances on others deficiencies end up looking ridiculous.
I hate it in politicians, and I hate it in your posts.
Grow up and get a life.
If you dont have anything good to say, say nothing.(I know, impossible for you)
Someone has to say it... you never miss to jump on anything you can rib the JB guys or the GIAc or Dinan guys.
Well, that kind of political bullshit is really annoying.
I would rather see a company benefit by their accomplishments, not their oppositions weakness. Sounds lame, like everything by you.
I got over that kind of stuff when I was 12.
If the guys over at BMS had the same attitude, there would be nothing but tuner wars here.
Look at their posts. No flaming to you. They always have a reserved opinion.
Look at your posts... you never fail to say how bad the competition is.
I won't buy your crap solely based on that.
Screw you and your company. If youmade the best tune out, I'd still pass at this point.
It's like Verizon vs ATT.
Who gives a rats ass.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrufy View Post
Ya know Shiv, people who base their advances on others deficiencies end up looking ridiculous.
Grow up and get a life.
Someone has to say it... you never miss to jump on anything you can rib the JB guys or the GIAc or Dinan guys.
I would rather see a company benefit by their accomplishments, not their oppositions weakness. Sounds lame, like everything by you.
If the guys over at BMS had the same attitude, there would be nothing but tuner wars here.
Look at their posts. No flaming to you. They always have a reserved opinion
Screw you and your company. If youmade the best tune out, I'd still pass at this point.
Who gives a rats ass.
      11-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
k726
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I know you helped with some of the early 335is map development but since then much progress was made and there is a nice stable 14psi 335is mapping available for the G3 board. So the JB3 G3 is definitely an option. Although we're so close to the G4 and it's new form of boost control that might be worth the wait. The JB+ has actually been working really well with the 335is as well.

LOL at the rest of the trash talking and FUD others are chipping in. Many are going to be impressed with the upcoming tunes coming out. As I said before it's a great time to be an N54 owner.

Mike
I was working with Terry and stopped once we reached a stable 14psi. He did work and quick, which was excellent. I just wanted full functionality which wasn't yet available, and still isn't completely ported. Glad to hear there is progress on that front, he is always hammering away at it.

But I think until G4 there won't be much to compare on the "is".
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
kennejp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Finally! I have thought this forever it makes him look ridiculous!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #14
k726
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Grow up and get a life.
Who gives a rats ass.
While it is a marketing tactic that any consumer will judge. You also have to understand the way a car should be properly tuned. If you want to throw a chunk of circuitry into your car that doesn't properly monitor and adjust values, you mind as well not be tuning it at all. I do think that there may be an undertone with his statement, but I believe he wants the end user to know and understand that there is a massive difference between the two tunes. That is his selling point, and a major part of tuning ANY engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Odd how stating the truth bothers some people. Information is a good thing. Lot of people out there try hard not to give all of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #16
Mrbig
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

I'm really curious how does ur 335is feel with the procede tune ? Any 1/4 mile times with tune ? Any races ?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #17
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Its always funny, how people who don't understand how things should work, comment on shivs posts. Get a clue, the realize what you are actually doing to your car with the tune you pick
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #18
antonio335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I only wait for long hours in Internet so that they finish the Jb3 G4 to buy it at the same moment that leaves for sale. Procede is very expensive. With cost of procede i buy a downpipes and jb3.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #19
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Grow up and get a life.
Who gives a rats ass.
Sorry for the following rant:

I used to think he said some unneccessary things and a few zingers now and then...but when I learned [much] more about how each tune actually works, and what each does and doesn't do, and how important those things are, I began to understand the reason he defends his tune and makes sure all the information is in check. Some people say, "Let the products sell themselves", but that simply won't work with all the misinformed and very vocal people on here saying "I got 400hp with my tune so it's absolutely the best". For instance, nearly all new people to n54 tuning have no idea about the different methods of boost control between tunes, or the methanol functions, or the CAN functions, or the timing control, or Autotuning, or the AFR monitoring capability, the list goes on and on. Most of the new members are just like me, who buy the JB3 the 2nd day after I got my 335 only because it was cheaper and "the only mod I planned on doing". Most new people don't know what "Timing" is, and clearly don't realize the importance of having timing control, or the benefits of the different approaches to tuning our engines. All new members see is both tunes can give me a bunch of horsepower and one is a couple hundred less.

The saddest thing about the new members' not really knowing how each tune functions, is that many of them choose to never learn. We see so many people claiming both tunes are identical, they produce the same power the same way, and "anyone who thinks differently is just giving into BS Marketing"

If I owned Vishnu, you bet I'd do my best to make sure people knew HOW and WHY my tune is better, make sure people aren't spilling nonsense into every thread.

However, history is going to continue repeating itself, and this will turn into another stupid thread. There will continue to be new threads popping up weekly with a new member asking 'which tune is best', and this exact dialogue will occur. I admit I've participated in plenty of these threads, but in hindsight I wonder why I waste my time. People refuse to learn...or maybe they refuse to admit to themselves that they don't know everything...or maybe they refuse to admit buyers' remorse...who knows. I know I don't.

Ugh...end of rant.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #20
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
Its always funny, how people who don't understand how things should work, comment on shivs posts. Get a clue, the realize what you are actually doing to your car with the tune you pick
Haha I was basically typing this while you posted You forgot posting up soon after getting a tune as if they were experts on the subject, giving people advice and suggestions for their cars.

Last edited by BrianMN; 11-07-2010 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #21
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
I'm saying it now and said it before. I tuner should shell out some money from their marketing budget and come up with an animated illustration. They should hire a CAD programmer and visualize a video illustration for us the end users. Once someone illustrate how boost and timing is controlled visually in our engines, these treads will never stop. By simply stating that my approach is better or not complete will not get these new customers engaged, unless they get the help of the community backing their tune. Take for example when I created the comparison chart, a lot of these treads minimized and they clearly knew what tune will fit their need. But if the tuners who profited from the added sales would invest that money on properly informing their future costumers on how their technology worked visually, I think it would increase their sales but most importantly inform people how it properly works on our turbo tuned engines. Without us the end users, their would be no tuners.
AR Design Catless DP | BMS DCI + OCC | ETS 5 FMIC | Alpina B3 Trans Flash |235/265 19" Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #22
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

What I love is how everybody keeps saying: "Just you wait for the G4 board to come out. It will be the best at the cheapest price..."

My question is when? We've been hearing about the G4 board for so long now. And for every day that we wait for the G4 to be released, Shiv is releasing cooler and cooler stuff for the Procede. I would gladly pay for having the product now rather than in several months... and for all the free updates we get... and I did pay for just that.

By the time the G4 PRO(cede) comes out, Shiv will be on Procede V7 and continuing to push the boundaries of what one would think possible for less than $1000
Appreciate 0