E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > The best uncertainty in the world

01-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 320d MSport

The best uncertainty in the world

Hello to you all.

I have spent the last couple of days lurking around and getting as much info as possible.

I am looking to change my current car (Merc c180) to a e90 through a company scheme and as such my budget is restricted (though not that bad really)

I have decided that a 320d M Sport is the most economically sound for me, I wanted to go to 6 cylinders but cost and tax cripples me:mad: .

So I can Spec the car up a little - Le mans blue I feel is a must as recognisable as M Sport (though did see a crimson red that looked swell)

I have decided not to do auto (I will miss this) as the tax nearly doubles and for the ease I feel robbed.

Leather - I have this at the moment and with a little nipper in the back easy to clean but I like the alacantara look and feel plus not to cold in winter.

Sat Nav Pro - by foresaking the above i can add this as an option but I have a TomTom already with Bluetooth added. I suppose is the near £2k worth it is the question I have niggling me. I would get the bluetooth and voice control also - so that is £2.5k!!! Would you have this above Leather and Auto?? i need some reassurance I am doing the right thing.

Other options I am considering:
  • 18" Alloys - the look, the feel
  • Diesel Particle Filter - gets rid of the droop, put 2 shiny pipes on the back but £415!!
    If I don't go for those I can put the xenons on the front - never had them before but everyone seems to praise them. but then I have a droopy backside and smaller shoes!!
  • Rain Sensor & Automatic headlights because I have to concentrate on gear changes again!!
  • tinted glass in the back to stop the little one screaming everytime the sun is in her eyes
  • Front/rear park control - i'm not sure front is really necessary but have it at mo and does make life easier
  • Exterior Mirror Pack - Like to have a button to save me walking around the car to push in mirrors

I was considering DAB as I listen to Radio 5 quite a lot but having tested (with a portable) over the M62 and M1 I feel the UK isn't quite at the peak of this technology yet!!

Anyway a long thread to say hello and is the Pro Nav worth it or is it a toy I may get bored of?
What do you feel about my options, any other choices, suggestions, opinions

Many Thanks

Bob
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Definately get the wheels! I use a TomTom for Nav and its fine.
      01-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Hi Bob.

Welcome to the forum.

I've had my 330i since Sept 05 & have SatNavPro.
It is a nice option to have, but I don't really think the cost is justified.

My wife has a TomTom & I still can't believe the software in that £200 thing is far more user friendly than that in my car's satnav system.

The idrive does integrate everything together very well, but if you are thinking about it, I think you should consider your options carefully.

The 18" alloys are great- I love my 162s!

One option I definitely recommend, without a doubt, is the xenon headlights- I will never buy another car with ordinary halogens ever again- they are bright, safe & effective- oh- & it scares the sh*t out of anyone thinking about pulling out into your path, on dark nights!

If you really want to know about the options & what drivers think about them, then get yourself down to UK3: The Third UK Meet- info in my sig.

Viv
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
One option I definitely recommend, without a doubt, is the xenon headlights- I will never buy another car with ordinary halogens ever again- they are bright, safe & effective- oh- & it scares the sh*t out of anyone thinking about pulling out into your path, on dark nights!
Viv
Not to mention people coming home on dark nights in Keyworth. Well worth the price of admission just for that.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 02:35 PM   #5
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Not to mention people coming home on dark nights in Keyworth. Well worth the price of admission just for that.
Seeing the full beam glare from 5 sets of BMW xenons, all in a line, is enough to make any approaching driver sh*t their pants, I've learned from our UK2 experience, Floyd!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Welcome to the forum Bob.

Xenon's are one of those things that you think just can't be as good as everybody makes out... but once you've had them you won't want to go back. The amount of light they put out is amazing, you can literally make people jump by flashing them

Given you have a nav solution that you are happy with and that you wouldn't mind going without the leather 2.5k would get you a lot of toys... How about:

18" (they do look good)
Xenon (don't forget those angels)
Rain Sensor & Auto lights
Folding Mirrors
6CD Changer
Sun Protection Glass
PDC Front and Rear
HighBeam Assist
and the Particulate Filter

Just my 2p worth, whatever you go for enjoy, it'll be great!

Matt.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

1stnewcar & Viv thanks for the responses, the tomtom is a great piece of kit and a steal at the price, I just fancied having everything intergrated, and of course that extra curve in the das. but i am hesitant and perhaps that is a good thing as by not having it opens up a lot of options.

UK3 - I am over in Switzerland that week so I will not be able to make it, though I was laughing at the post about the Uk2 meet hopefully uk4 will be a date i can do and by then show my choice to you all.

Viv - i have to say the car looks a treat on those shoes.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #8
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
(Can't find a better smilie to say how much I agree with Matt, above, ok!)

Just in case you need any more peer pressure to make you choose larger alloys, here are a few persuasive shots, ok Bob!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
Welcome to the forum Bob.

Xenon's are one of those things that you think just can't be as good as everybody makes out... but once you've had them you won't want to go back. The amount of light they put out is amazing, you can literally make people jump by flashing them

Given you have a nav solution that you are happy with and that you wouldn't mind going without the leather 2.5k would get you a lot of toys... How about:

18" (they do look good)
Xenon (don't forget those angels)
Rain Sensor & Auto lights
Folding Mirrors
6CD Changer
Sun Protection Glass
PDC Front and Rear
HighBeam Assist
and the Particulate Filter

Just my 2p worth, whatever you go for enjoy, it'll be great!

Matt.
Thanks for your 2p defo worth more than that.
the xenons are tempting, but how do I get the angel eye effect. this does not come as standards does it??

The 6 cd changer would not get used too much as I would use the Ipod connection. If I got the Pro nav would that not intergrate fully via the stereo (with the upgrade).

The Highbeam assist really does shout "lazy" to me!!! How effective is this and does it turn high beam on after turned off?

Sorry for more questions I've just got to get it right.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
(Can't find a better smilie to say how much I agree with Matt, above, ok!)

Just in case you need any more peer pressure to make you choose 18" alloys, here are a few persuasive shots, ok Bob!
Right 18"s it is (although with M Sport it would be the 193M style - though the 162's look amazing.

in the 3rd picture what style of wheels are those as I cannot see tham as an option, plus what is the colour? (oh it's disappeared now??!!??)

Bob

Last edited by bob mushroom; 01-29-2007 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: change to picture!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 03:07 PM   #11
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mushroom View Post
Right 18"s it is (although with M Sport it would be the 193M style - though the 162's look amazing.

in the 3rd picture what style of wheels are those as I cannot see tham as an option, plus what is the colour? (oh it's disappeared now??!!??)

Bob
Sorry Bob- is it these you mean?
They are aftermarket alloys- I think it's Diesel's 325i- don't know the manufacturer I'm afraid- but the suspension is definitely lowered aftermarket.

Viv
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 03:10 PM   #12
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry Bob- is it these you mean?
They are aftermarket alloys- I think it's Diesel's 325i- don't know the manufacturer I'm afraid- but the suspension is definitely lowered aftermarket.

Viv
I thought it looked lower, love the way the wheels fill the arch.

thanks for reposting the picture.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 03:15 PM   #13
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I thought it looked lower, love the way the wheels fill the arch.

thanks for reposting the picture.
No probs.

Here's some of diesel's amazing shots with those wheels.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #14
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No probs.

Here's some of diesel's amazing shots with those wheels.

Viv
cheers, makes me want mine even more now!! Time to start doing my options again!!

Bob
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 03:24 PM   #15
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
cheers, makes me want mine even more now!! Time to start doing my options again!!

Bob
Options! I think BMW make more money on options than on their standard spec cars!

If you really want something, but are hesitant, then my advice is get yourself down to the stealership to try it out, if at all possible- I'm glad I loaded mine up with what I wanted- it was costly, but put a smile on my face, & still does!

BTW Bob- for the angel eyes, you need the xenon headlamps- you won't get them on the standard (halogen) headlights.

All the best.

Viv
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 03:26 PM   #16
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Deisel's are a CSL rep. Angel's are only on the Xenon lights.

Some LeMans Blue 320d MSport on 18", with Xenon shots for you to drool over:
Attached Images

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 03:28 PM   #17
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
more:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #18
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
and nobody has mentioned blackline tail lights yet!

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #19
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Deisel's are a CSL rep. Angel's are only on the Xenon lights.

Some LeMans Blue 320d MSport on 18", with Xenon shots for you to drool over:
We really do have a damn fine in-house 'meets photographer', don't we Mat?!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 03:35 PM   #20
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
I try... I just need more practice!

UK3 / UK4 Signup NOW!

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 03:35 PM   #21
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
and nobody has mentioned blackline tail lights yet!
...or the 'short shifter', which some women have found seems to just fall off!

The MF beauforty is going to have to watch himself!
I can see it now....Paul...driving towards Belvoir (pronounced 'beaver' apparently)...and his short shift just drops off!
(You know I'm not joking, don't you, Paul?! )

Viv

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #22
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I try... I just need more practice!

UK3 / UK4 Signup NOW!
I don't think you're doing too badly with the experience you've got so far, Mat.

Viv

Appreciate 0