E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Methanol in the the winter?

11-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

Methanol in the the winter?

Just want some advice from the guys that are running meth in these cold conditions lately.

Just got my car back from service and my Jb3,DCI,BOV,DO meth kit is waiting to get installed. Just dont know about reinstalling it for the winter.

Is traction just so bad its just not fun anymore or not as bad as most make it seem?.

Just want some reviews from the guys in the colder areas.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

with winter tyres you will have issues having traction on stock boost.
i was getting anti-spin light in 4 th 2 days ago with freezing temperature and 265 winter tyres at the back.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Yeah regardless with meth traction will be an issue. With methanol it will make it worst. Just make sure you put a higher volume of meth to water since water is not as effective as in the summer months
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Yeah regardless with meth traction will be an issue. With methanol it will make it worst. Just make sure you put a higher volume of meth to water since water is not as effective as in the summer months
Dammit looks like iam just going to wait for spring ,......iall see how anxious i get

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 05:03 AM   #5
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
What? Where are you coming up this information?

There is a MONSTER misunderstanding of the use of methanol on these forums. Water is used because it has a MUCH higher latent heat of vaporization than methanol. Water is used because it takes more heat to evaporate plain and simply. That means water droplets can make it to the cylinder and draw heat away from the combustion chamber during that actual combustion process. This basically makes your engine more efficient and can be instrumental in controlling EGTs.

I suspect with the upgraded turbos hitting the market, that a lot of people will learn the hard way about the massive misinformation that has been spread on water/methanol mixtures. I am willing to bet that these restrictive stock housings will result in monster EGTs. To get that under control is not done with tons of methanol, but water. Guys water is very important to the equation.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
GotBoost?
Banned
Rep
Drives: fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post

There is a MONSTER misunderstanding of the use of methanol on these forums. Water is used because it has a MUCH higher latent heat of vaporization than methanol. Water is used because it takes more heat to evaporate plain and simply. That means water droplets can make it to the cylinder and draw heat away from the combustion chamber during that actual combustion process. This basically makes your engine more efficient and can be instrumental in controlling EGTs.

I suspect with the upgraded turbos hitting the market, that a lot of people will learn the hard way about the massive misinformation that has been spread on water/methanol mixtures. I am willing to bet that these restrictive stock housings will result in monster EGTs. To get that under control is not done with tons of methanol, but water. Guys water is very important to the equation.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
GotBoost?
Banned
Rep
Drives: fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon335iFL View Post
Just want some advice from the guys that are running meth in these cold conditions lately.

Just got my car back from service and my Jb3,DCI,BOV,DO meth kit is waiting to get installed. Just dont know about reinstalling it for the winter.

Is traction just so bad its just not fun anymore or not as bad as most make it seem?.

Just want some reviews from the guys in the colder areas.
just put it on and stop being a baby...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
Iwantm3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

meth + fmic + winter , it's too much cold air , it isn't bad ?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

You seem to know alot, but do you realize what temps are in the winter on the East Coast?? You have no idea what cold weather is because you live in Texas where temps the coldest reach 40-50 degrees...Why would you need more water during winter months, and I feel having more methanol volume for winter is better overall period...Where you live, u do not see cold temperatures like we normally see...Remember what i stated was the volume of water in the winter time SHOULD be less and during the summe months water is much more of a factor as for performance...

Last edited by cn555ic; 11-10-2010 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
Ferre86
Captain
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/H2/SL350/Panamera 4/

just do it man , that might makes diffrient even on winter cold weather

| e93 M-DCT ESS VT2-625 | Akra Slip-on | Challenge Race Catless x-pipe | Challenge front lip | Challenge Diffuser | Carbon front grilles | defi gauges control unit | Macht Schnell gauge panel | E93 M3 trunk Spoiler | IND Carbon Fiber Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You seem to know alot, but do you realize what temps are in the winter on the East Coast?? You have no idea what cold weather is because you live in Texas where temps the coldest reach 40-50 degrees...Why would you need more water during winter months, and I feel having more methanol volume for winter is better overall period...Where you live, u do not see cold temperatures like we normally see...Remember what i stated was the volume of water in the winter time SHOULD be less and during the summe months water is much more of a factor as for performance...
First off I do not live in Texas. Second, I run nitrous and methanol. I was running IATs well below 20F last year consistently during the winter which I doubt many will surpass. In fact on two different occasions I completely froze the TMAP sensor solid. Regardless, I think you are really missing the point. IATs give you no indication whatsoever about what is going on within the cylinders andd in the combustion chamber. People on these forums think IATs are the end-all-be-all. I assure you that IATs are not the end of the equation and are still just a part of a larger equation. EGTs are tremendously important.

Let me say it again, water is there for a different reason. There is almost no one here monitoring EGTs. Water is specificially in this equation because of its thermodynamic properties plain and simple. It will give you a much better way of controlling EGTs and is critical to the mixture. Get about 300-350 ml/min of water into your mixture and you will accomplish the goal.

cn, you have known me to be a straight shooter. What I am saying is accurate info. Ask the W/M manufacturers what they think.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantm3 View Post
meth + fmic + winter , it's too much cold air , it isn't bad ?
No and I am not sure where this idea comes from.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Can we monitor EGT's or do we need an aftermarket unit, that is the question?

My only problem with meth in the winter is no traction.... however, I wont be driving my car in about two weeks cause I put it away, so.....

Spinning into 3rd gear crew here.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
Iwantm3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

Quote:
No and I am not sure where this idea comes from.
lol I asked because I don't know, thanks for the answer though lol
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 05:06 AM   #15
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
Can we monitor EGT's or do we need an aftermarket unit, that is the question?

My only problem with meth in the winter is no traction.... however, I wont be driving my car in about two weeks cause I put it away, so.....

Spinning into 3rd gear crew here.
Oh, if that is the concern then just turn the kit off. There is no requirement to run it.

Get an aftermarket EGT probe is really the only solution here unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 05:13 AM   #16
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantm3 View Post
lol I asked because I don't know, thanks for the answer though lol
LOL, I am sorry if I sounded brash. That was not my intention.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 05:49 AM   #17
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Oh, if that is the concern then just turn the kit off. There is no requirement to run it.

Get an aftermarket EGT probe is really the only solution here unfortunately.
former are you monitoring EGTs? what is considered "normal" temp and Risk zone temp ? (i am putting a probe in 2 weeks.)
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #18
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

FBI: You keep saying everyone spreads misinformations when I think you are the one who spreads it.

People have different set ups. On my car, anytime time I add water, my timing drops.
On a 100 percent meth mix i thrown EGT too low codes during winter months. On a water mix I don't.
Water on this car is useless unless you plan on worrying about saftey.

As for you running 20F, trying waking up when is -8F outside lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #19
michael1284
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
...you live in Texas where temps the coldest reach 40-50 degrees...
sorry, but you must never have been to Texas before, because it does get to the 30's and stays there pretty frequently.
      11-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #20
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
FBI: You keep saying everyone spreads misinformations when I think you are the one who spreads it.

People have different set ups. On my car, anytime time I add water, my timing drops.
On a 100 percent meth mix i thrown EGT too low codes during winter months. On a water mix I don't.
Water on this car is useless unless you plan on worrying about saftey.

As for you running 20F, trying waking up when is -8F outside lol.
Look, I am not here to convince you of anything Clap. You clearly have a solid understanding of cars. If you think water is useless, then you are more intelligent than all the water/meth companies. Water has thermodynamic properties that are superior to methanol and give it distinct advantages.

For what it is worth, I would place zero confidence in EGT data you can get from the stock sensors.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #21
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Quote:
Look, I am not here to convince you of anything Clap. You clearly have a solid understanding of cars. If you think water is useless, then you are more intelligent than all the water/meth companies. Water has thermodynamic properties that are superior to methanol and give it distinct advantages.

For what it is worth, I would place zero confidence in EGT data you can get from the stock sensors.
Thats nice, log your car, and report back. You will ALWAYS make more power on meth, ALWAYS

Water meth compaines suggesting adding water, for one reason, saftey. They do not want to be held responsible.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 05:47 AM   #22
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
Thats nice, log your car, and report back. You will ALWAYS make more power on meth, ALWAYS

Water meth compaines suggesting adding water, for one reason, saftey. They do not want to be held responsible.
Do you really think I haven't logged my car Clap? I have probably posted as many logs of my car as anyone on the forums. I showed you guys a 490 rwhp dyno with nitrous putting down 13-14 degrees advance at redline. In case you didn't see that, here it is for reference:

This was with ~230 ml/min of water and ~570 ml/min of methanol. I have tested probably 10 different mixtures thus far. I have tried probably 15 different combos and locations on nozzles. I do not think many people have put down nearly 500 rwhp with that type of timing curve and EGTs completely under control.

I simply do not agree at all with what you are saying. I think water is critical for controlling EGTs. Methanol will fully vaporize before ever getting in the combustion chamber and never drop temps an ounce in the combustion chamber where the drop is most important. With that said, clearly we will not agree and I am going to move on.
Appreciate 0