2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Anyone changed to non-runflats?

11-11-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
Hooplescat
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D SE

Anyone changed to non-runflats?

Hi all

Sorry to be flogging the tyre issue to death - I have checked the forum and can't find a thread on this for the GT, but feel free to redirect me if I misssed it...

Has anyone changed to non runflat tyres? I know BMW say you shouldn't, but it seems that lots of people do for ride comfort and cost with no real detriment - although I have read that they increase stopping distances... I would be interested in anyone's experience if they have, or thoughts if they are considering it? My interest would would be in a smoother ride rather than cost (although cost improvement would be significant on 20" rims...)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

You might get a slightly better ride with non-runflats with 20" wheels, but if comfort really was an issue, you should have opted for 18 or maybe 19" wheels in the first place!

If you do get a flat, I hope you have good service from an emergency roadside assistance group, as you won't be going anywhere. There is NO good place to put a spare, and while some of the goop you can put into the tires to help prevent common punctures from causing air loss, they don't work on everything, and it makes changing later on messy (and it could compromise the TPS operation).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Hooplescat
Rep

Thanks for the info.

I fully intended to get a car with 18" rims, it just turned out that I got a decent deal on a pre registered car that was in the showroom, and it happened to have the 20" rims. I might look to swap them out somewhere, I imagine someone out there wants the look over the ride comfort...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

In their infinite wisdom, the US consumer and BMW have chosen to severely restrict diesel engine availablity in the USA. From what I hear, those models that do provide a diesel option are doing well. They told me at the NYC autoshow in April this year, that they would be making the diesel GT available in 2011 here...so, I've been waiting as it would suit my driving better. So, I've not bought one yet. I have been looking at tires and options, though.

I might consider the Nokian WR-G2 as a compromise - it gets rated as a snowtire that can be driven all year long. The Hakapolita-R is also a great winter tire, but it's only rated at T (I think). In the USA, that isn't a great limitation, though. At least here in the USA, there are very few choices, especially if you want to get one with the speed-rating and runflat. Dunlop also makes a decent winter tire. Not up on what may be available in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
ksquare
Captain
Rep
Drives: 535 GT

i have non runflats on my 20". before i bought my 20", i had the stock 18" with runflats.

comparing between these two, the 20" is slightly bumpier but still at a decently comfortable level.

i live in HK which is a very small place and within easy reach of a tyre repair shop if there is a puncture. i also have the mobility kit in the car. so far so good. no complaints from wife and kid

guess whether to switch out to nonrunflats depends on where you live (if repairs is within easy reach) and the road conditions.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Hooplescat
Rep

Thanks for the information.

I have roadside recovery, and have only had one blowout in the last 10 years or so, so I might take the risk when the time comes to change tyres...

I just feel the car should be smoother than it is on 20" runflats...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
BaltimoreGT
Rep
Drives: 550i GT/black/Sport pkg/20"

I replaced all four 20" Goodyear RFTs with ExtremeContact DW today!

The DW set will break in over the next couple of weeks. However, the first half mile the difference was night and day: smooth, grippy, just feeling right. The comfort mode is now truly an experience and the wheel stays straight even in that mode. Sport has instant wish to go hard and not break loose. I am being cautious for now.

Cornering settles confidently and this is still with the tires needing to lose all that resin that lingers from manufacturing. The tires look a little narrower than the RFTs on the rear wheels. But they still look great!

The change was well worth the move.

Reason was a bubble at front right. Turns out that both fronts had bubbles as I found today at the tire shop! I noticed the first about a month ago. Tread was still about 4/32" so I kept the rears for spare replacements. The car had 15.7 k miles on them, meaning the Goodyears had actually worn very well.

More reviews to come after the break in period.

Last edited by BaltimoreGT; 06-18-2011 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: missing info.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #8
relic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650xi Gran Coupe

For what it is worth, I switched to non run flats on one of my prior BMWs and found the ride difference very marginal. Since then, with 3 different BMWs, I have stayed with run-flats.

I have also done about 75,000 miles on run-flats (over 3 cars) and during that time I have had two run-flat blow-outs. The first was a piece of glass on a California freeway that took out a rear tire at 70mph on my BMW 335 convertible. I tried to continue at 50mph for 5 miles to a dealer but the tire was so damaged it shredded to bits in less than a mile. A flat-bed tow to the dealer and a replacement tire took just over an hour.

The second was an Illinois pothole that split the whole side of a front tire on my 550 GT. I managed to get it to the side of the road before it became unmovable. In fact I was surprised the rim was not damaged, especially after later finding that it had taken out the wheel bearing. A flat-bed tow to the nearest dealer was the next step and that took 3 days as the incident happened on a Friday night and I did not want the different (Bridgestone) 20” tire that the dealer had in stock. I bought the GT with summer performance Pirelli P Zeros and had a replacement tire delivered overnight from Tire Rack.

Before raking a 6000 mile trip from Chicago to Florida with return via Philadelphia I bought a set of 19” rims with winter (Bridgestone Blizzak) non-run-flat tires. I only did this because I could not obtain suitable winter run-flat tires at the time. While I struck the expected heavy snow that made me glad I had not tried the trip on the summer tires, most of the driving was in sunny Florida at speeds averaging over 70mph. The winter tires gave a slightly harsher ride and were also noticeably nosier, especially at 80mph.

With the long distances involved on that trip I briefly considered taking a spare but felt that took up far too much space plus the likelihood of a tire failure was very low – and the worst case might be an overnight stay somewhere. Since that trip, and refitting of my 20” run flats I have done completed 3 more drives to Washington DC, including one that included Boston – all with no trouble.

As added insurance I always carry an M series tire repair kit (pump and minor leak sealer) but have never had occasion to use it other than as a great ‘add a pound tool’. I have no concerns driving long distances without a spare, as long as I have roadside assistance available.

In my experience the ride differences are due to the different tires and pressure selection rather than whether they are run-flats or not.
      06-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
BaltimoreGT
Rep
Drives: 550i GT/black/Sport pkg/20"

DW review...

Relic, I would state that the only way I could validate that not being runflats is the reason that the DW are better in ride quality over the Goodyear runflats they replaced would be if the tires were the same brand and model varying only on the runflat technology. So, I have no reason to argue with your experience. However, the tires simply ride MUCH BETTER.

The grip on the DW tire is exceptionally different to the GY. You may not experience this on the Pirelli's, but the Goodyears made the car skip laterally when riding over a bump in a sweeper at greater than 65 mph. The DW do not do that as I can tell. Instead, the tires seem to grip laterally much more.

I have not tested heavy braking or 0-60 sprints. But, the car clearly is gripping more and is very comfortable and smooth - yet not soft or sloshy. The suspension seems to work a lot more as a luxury suspension than before, making the car feel complete. I truly hated the jumpy rear and this is resolved. And no, it is not tire pressure - I tried a range 36-42 psi on the rear with the GY and the hesitant rear grip never disappeared.

The GY were a good tyre in my use: drove in the winter, drove hard in the summer and rode long (15 k miles) for a stock tire. But the DW just feel like a summer performance tyre.

I have not pushed the DW tires hard enough to feel the sidewalls fold, as is expected from reviews. But, for the money, the tires look great, feel great and have a very good treadwear (340) making them worth the investment.

Miles driven are only 100 so far.
Attached Images

Last edited by BaltimoreGT; 06-19-2011 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: missing condition in first sentence: "not being runflats"
Appreciate 0