E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 GIAC Stage 1 Review (Rather long read)

11-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Cool N54 GIAC Stage 1 Review (Rather long read)

Hello everyone!

It's been a long while since I've been planning on increasing the power output in my 335i, but it was not till yesterday that I finally decided which way to go. This is my review of GIAC Stage 1 ECU reflash which was installed yesterday by Rich at dubwerks in Libertyville, IL

BACKGROUND:

I've started messing with cars a while back and I started with Volkswagens and AUDIs. I spent countless hours learning and researching different aftermarket products for those platforms and I've always been very careful in making sure that I get the correct information that's out there pertaining different products. In the VW/AUDI world, ECU reflashes are defacto the gold standard when it comes to engine tuning. Nothing else comes even close to what the ECU reflashes can do. Also, there are significantly more engine tuners out there (GIAC being one of the main players) and the competition is severe. Therefore, the ECU reflashes for those cars are extremely well done.

Naturally, when I first started researching N54 engine tuning, I ended up on this forum. I found out that the majority of the forum members were using piggy back units and with great success, non the less. The typical tuner fanboys were at each other's throats just as they were in the VW scene. The only ECU tuning available at that time was DINAN and it was overpriced and could not compete with the piggies when it came to power outputs.

So naturally, I decided to wait and see how this develops and concentrate my efforts on getting quality hardware mods.

After much research during last winter, I purchased AE Performance Catless exhaust (v1) and AR Design Catless downpipes. I also needed a way to keep the ECU happy about the lack of catalytic converters so I purchased and installed immediately BMS downpipe fix.

So, for several months during the winter, I ran full stock hardware + BMS DP fix. No problems whatsoever.

In April of this year, I finally had the downpipes installed along with the exhaust system. I was very happy with the results:

* Much improved turbo spool
* Torque targets were getting met much sooner as well
* Improved sound and looks. (This is not that important for me since I am going for a sleeper 335i, but I did not want my car to sound like a Prius)

I've been running my car like this since April. I've taken several trips from Chicago to Denver and back, and have covered over 7000 miles on this hardware setup. I wanted to make sure that there were no defects in the DPs and the exhaust. Let me remind you that everything else was stock!

There was only one issue with this setup: Because the torque targets were met much sooner, the DME was constantly overshooting its targets. With a fully catless system like mine and stock ECU, every time you went half throttle or above, you could actually feel the ECU backing off on the power. Car ran great but it was more than clear that something had to be done to take full advantage of the much improved exhaust airflow.

INSTALLER IMPRESSIONS:

I took my car to dubwerks in Libertyville, IL. There are 4 GIAC installers in the Chicago area, but only 3 of them are worth going to as one of them has been known for some shady business practices. Out of the three, I chose dubwerks because they are a small shop owned by a true VW/AUDI motorhead. I knew my car would be in good hands there as I've read reviews from local forum members about dubwerks.

In 45 minutes, Rich managed to pull the car in, strap a battery charger, read the ECU, send the read file to GIAC, receive a Stage 1 file and load onto my car. While were waiting for the ECU reflash to finish I managed to take a look at their handheld switcher. It is a quality piece that I will definitely be purchasing if I choose to go for the S2 upgrade.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:

After the install, I drove the car on the parking lot and quite honestly, I did not feel anything different. I almost started doubting that the ECU reflash did not take. I talked to Rich about it and he said: "Dude, the ECU needs to adapt a little. Go drive for 4-5 miles and come back."

So I did, and oh boy!

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:

Power Delivery:
The more I drove the car, the more the ECU was adapting. It felt like a big grizzly bear slowly waking up from it's winter's sleep. After some highway sprints, this thing was literally hauling ass. First and second gears are completely useless at full throttle. The DSC simply kicks in too early as one of the wheels breaks loose. You have to nurse it till at lest 3rd gear and then you can romp on the gas pedal. I will definitely need to get better tires and LSD. The power comes in early and the engine pulls HARD all the way till 6500 rpms. I was literally giggling like a school girl!

DRIVEABILITY:

Perhaps the best aspect of GIAC S1 is the way the car drives. If you are cruising along, it is quiet and docile like a little lamb. Press on the gas pedal a bit and power kicks in immediately but very smoothly. There are no "lumps" of torque coming at you out of a sudden. There is no "sledge hammer" effect. There is not bogging in higher gears. Much improved throttle response. You press hard on the gas pedal and the car awakens and it simply propels forward without questions and hesitations. The smoothness with which the power is delivered is akin to what a completely stock car does.

Driving in traffic is no problem at all. The car does not demand from you to be overly cautious with how much power you are requesting from the engine.

FINAL NOTES:
Overall, I am extremely happy with the current setup. GIAC have done great job in tuning this engine. I strongly recommend that product to anyone who is interested in the results that I am getting above. Frankly speaking, I am not sure if I will upgrade to S2 yet, even though I do plan on upgrading the intercooler and the intake. I think S1 power output and driveability are more than satisfactory for me at this point in time.

Last edited by vasillalov; 11-15-2010 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Reserved for dyno results!

Last edited by vasillalov; 11-14-2010 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
PandaBear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i X-Drive

Garage List
2009 335i X-Drive  [0.00]
2007 328xi  [0.00]
thank you for this review bro, I drove my friend's 335 with the GIAC, and I have to say its a big difference then mine w/ the JB3 on map 5. Power was even throughout and not just lag then a surge of power. I'm deffinately considering switching to GIAC.

But what happens when you go bring your car in for service and BMW updates your software, does that affect GIAC?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Iwantm3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

But what about meth failsafety ?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBear View Post
But what happens when you go bring your car in for service and BMW updates your software, does that affect GIAC?
GIAC software is undetectable by the dealers. In case you need to get updated software, here is what happens:

1. Your BMW dealer updates your software which essentially wipes GIAC flash from the ECU
2. You go back to GIAC installer and they will take another read off your ECU.
3. GIAC installer will submit the read file to GIAC central. GIAC central will produce a new file for your freshly updated BMW software
4. GIAC installer will reflash your car.

The vast majority of GIAC dealers will give you 1 free reflash. After that you may/may not have to pay just for labor. The important thing here is that once you buy GIAC it is yours permanently!
      11-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantm3 View Post
But what about meth failsafety ?
As far as I know, you need Stage 2+ race map which works with either 98 octane fuel or 93 octane + methanol injection. My understanding is that if there is a problem with meth flow, GIAC will automatically revert to 93 octane Stage 2 mapping. This needs to be verified with GIAC though!

Also, I do believe that GIAC are working on special meth map, but again, this needs to be verified.
      11-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
s.myrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i E90

Glad to see you finally got your tune! GIAC has done a great job with our engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
kanecvl
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 535d

Congrats! Any complaints? I have none.
      11-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
GIAC software is undetectable by the dealers. In case you need to get updated software, here is what happens:

1. Your BMW dealer updates your software which essentially wipes GIAC flash from the ECU
2. You go back to GIAC installer and they will take another read off your ECU.
3. GIAC installer will submit the read file to GIAC central. GIAC central will produce a new file for your freshly updated BMW software
4. GIAC installer will reflash your car.

The vast majority of GIAC dealers will give you 1 free reflash. After that you may/may not have to pay just for labor. The important thing here is that once you buy GIAC it is yours permanently!
OP - great review and post on GIAC stage 1 flash, I have been interested in them for a while but feared voiding the BMW 4yr/50K warranty, hence looked at Dinan as an alternative.

Are you 100% sure it undetectable? How do you know this?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #10
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Are you 100% sure it undetectable? How do you know this?
The GIAC software matches the CRC checks of the original BMW software. When a dealership pulls your data, their equipment cannot see the difference!

Now, if they send the read file and open a PUMA case, the brainiacs in Germany will most definitely be able to tell whether its their software or not. The local dealerships however do not possess this type of equipment.
      11-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

maybe there should be a sticky about this questions since everytime GIAC is mentioned the same questions are asked. .....
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #12
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

You mentioned in your OP "First and second gears are completely useless at full throttle. The DSC simply kicks in too early as one of the wheels breaks loose. You have to nurse it till at lest 3rd gear and then you can romp on the gas pedal. I will definitely need to get better tires and LSD. The power comes in early and the engine pulls HARD all the way till 6500 rpms."

Can you explain in more detail your reference to 1 & 2nd gear characteristics? In stock form, the car power ban kicks in at about 1700 rpms; most flashes/mods seem to kick in at about >2500 rpms. Is the Gaic flash power delivery more like stock or the latter?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #13
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Can you explain in more detail your reference to 1 & 2nd gear characteristics? In stock form, the car power ban kicks in at about 1700 rpms; most flashes/mods seem to kick in at about >2500 rpms. Is the Gaic flash power delivery more like stock or the latter?
Sure:

In my stock setup, I could break the tires loose easily on first and second gear as well, causing the DSC to kick in. But this required a lot of romping on the gas pedal. At least it did with my tires. With GIAC S1, it does not take very much to break a wheel loose. It happens easily in 1/3 throttle. RPM wise, anything above 2000 rpms on low gears with 1/3 throttle and you will see DSC kicking in relentlessly.

Like I said in my original post, I would have to nurse it till 3rd gear on dry clean pavement so that I can avoid the inevitable wheel spin. A better set of tires along with a quality LSD are definitely needed!
      11-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #14
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Great review and my experience exactly! I recently installed a CP-E IC/OC combo unit, I also have a catless AE exhaust, and I'm waiting for my catted AR downpipes to arrive any day now. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of the difference the DPs will make. I also recently got the flashloader and it's great. I'm thinking it might come in handy to drop back down to the stock flash when the roads aren't so good around here this winter...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #15
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [9.66]
Congrats Vasil! I am glad to hear you finally have your tune as well. I know you have done your homework and it sounds like you are extremely pleased with the end result. You are halfway to stage 2

Maybe we can meet at the Speed Inc. dyno day in December

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Chris,

Absolutely! I am organizing the dyno day so chances are I'll be there the whole time. BTW, Rich@dubwerks spoke well of you! Glad to know that you were a VW/AUDI gearhead once as well!
      11-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #17
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Sounds awesome Vasil. Although more expensive, I recommend getting an LSD first
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #18
kanecvl
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 535d

Quote:
Sure:

In my stock setup, I could break the tires loose easily on first and second gear as well, causing the DSC to kick in. But this required a lot of romping on the gas pedal. At least it did with my tires. With GIAC S1, it does not take very much to break a wheel loose. It happens easily in 1/3 throttle. RPM wise, anything above 2000 rpms on low gears with 1/3 throttle and you will see DSC kicking in relentlessly.

Like I said in my original post, I would have to nurse it till 3rd gear on dry clean pavement so that I can avoid the inevitable wheel spin. A better set of tires along with a quality LSD are definitely needed!
I have nitto nt05 275/30 on the rear and I still lose traction at 40 when stomping it. Stage 1 with DCI and AT. So like you said tires and LSD.
      11-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #19
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

I don't think GIAC has any meth failsafes. If you're running the race map, it cannot automatically switch to the non-race map. You have to use the switcher.

With that said, I've read here that they're working on some hardware that will auto switch but no official announcement or anything.

BTW: Are you going stage 2 once you get your FMIC? Seems like the only thing missing.

Quote:
As far as I know, you need Stage 2+ race map which works with either 98 octane fuel or 93 octane + methanol injection. My understanding is that if there is a problem with meth flow, GIAC will automatically revert to 93 octane Stage 2 mapping. This needs to be verified with GIAC though!

Also, I do believe that GIAC are working on special meth map, but again, this needs to be verified.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #20
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

If you want to be fully modded with meth as such, IMO GIAC tune is not the best alternative...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #21
StartupJunkie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Sedan+2 Baby Seats

Hi vasillalov,

In one of your earlier replies you mention that that GIAC reflash is "yours" permanently, did you mean to say its tied to the car permanently (and not the person)?

That way if I resell the car, that the new owner get the reflash and can deal with GIAC/Installer/Dealer on his own, right?

Thanks,

Junk

Perf Mods: Vishnu PROcede Rev3 v5, Vishnu PWM Meth Kit, AR Design DPs, AE Exhaust, Helix FMIC, Vishnu DCI, Forge DV, WaveTrac LSD (Best Trap - 124.665mph)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #22
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

It's tied to the VIN.

I'm not sure if your GIAC dealer or GIAC themselves will honor the transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StartupJunkie View Post
Hi vasillalov,

In one of your earlier replies you mention that that GIAC reflash is "yours" permanently, did you mean to say its tied to the car permanently (and not the person)?

That way if I resell the car, that the new owner get the reflash and can deal with GIAC/Installer/Dealer on his own, right?

Thanks,

Junk
Appreciate 0