E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Steering on my new E91

11-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
Jamze
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW 320d Touring

Steering on my new E91

Swapped my 120d Coupe for a 320d Touring last month. Extra space, build quality and better looks (IMO) are plus points.

However...

I'm just not getting along with the steering. It just seems so inconsistent.

Seems pretty weighty at parking speeds, but once you're moving, the assistance just seems to increase/decrease for no reason. Sometimes (when I hit some imperfection in the road surface?), I can feel the wheel moving in my hands all by itself. Difficult to explain, but pretty disconcerting - don't feel 100% in control of the thing. Sort of like bad tramlining, but at motorway speeds.

Just me?
1999 VW Golf Mk3 2.0 Cabriolet, Jazz Blue (gone)
and an Orange P7 mountain bike!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 03:03 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamze View Post
Sometimes (when I hit some imperfection in the road surface?), I can feel the wheel moving in my hands all by itself. Difficult to explain, but pretty disconcerting -
Call me old fashioned, but that sounds great - I thinks its called 'feedback' and its something most cars have bludgeoned out of existence these days!

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320d SE

Can't say i've noticed that in my E91. Yes the steering is heavier that what i was used to in my previous car (VW Scirocco) but then so is the clutch and gear change but I am getting used to the new 'solid' feel. Doesn't seem to try and pull in any direction particularly. Maybe worth getting the tracking checked?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Swapped my 120d Coupe for a 320d Touring last month. Extra space, build quality and better looks (IMO) are plus points.

However...

I'm just not getting along with the steering. It just seems so inconsistent.

Seems pretty weighty at parking speeds, but once you're moving, the assistance just seems to increase/decrease for no reason. Sometimes (when I hit some imperfection in the road surface?), I can feel the wheel moving in my hands all by itself. Difficult to explain, but pretty disconcerting - don't feel 100% in control of the thing. Sort of like bad tramlining, but at motorway speeds.

Just me?
You haven't said if the car is new or secondhand and therefore which steering system the car is fitted with.

From what you've said it's not anything I've experience in any BMW in standard set up. Nor did I ever think the steering felt heavy at parking speeds tbh in my beemers. You appear to describing a trait of all Porsches at motorway speeds but I would describe it as a slight oscillation of the steering wheel, but the wheels do not move nor does the sensation create any cause for concern. None of our cars will be set up like that with respect.

Does it feel like tyres needs balancing or the car needs a full alignment. What speeds do you particularly notice the increase and decrease with the steering sensitivity.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Does your car have servotronic steering? It became an option on all cars except the 335 in the last year or so and BMW do not appear to push this option at all - a pity since it distinguishes the car from others with standard electric power steering.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
Jamze
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, came the long way home from work to try a few things out

As I said, it's sort of difficult to explain. I love my cars to be agile with loads of feedback, rather than over-sanitised. Our little Mazda is spot on, so don't think it's me not being used to it.

The 3-series is a new 2010 LCI, with the standard electric PAS. No vibration, so wheels seem balanced, and shouldn't need aligning so soon.

When really pushing on, it's exactly what I want. Just a bigger version of the 1-series, with maybe a bit more grip up front, possibly slightly softer - hard to tell. Both M Sports.

However, it's when I sit on the motorway at 70 on cruise. It's very subtle, but I seem to sense small steering inputs (i.e. not me). I then correct. So on a long drive, I'm constantly correcting the steering. Enough for a passenger to comment on it the other day.

I've just been reading up on the BMW electric PAS. So it switches in and out whenever it senses steering input? Hmmm. Is this what I'm feeling?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Well, came the long way home from work to try a few things out

As I said, it's sort of difficult to explain. I love my cars to be agile with loads of feedback, rather than over-sanitised. Our little Mazda is spot on, so don't think it's me not being used to it.

The 3-series is a new 2010 LCI, with the standard electric PAS. No vibration, so wheels seem balanced, and shouldn't need aligning so soon.

When really pushing on, it's exactly what I want. Just a bigger version of the 1-series, with maybe a bit more grip up front, possibly slightly softer - hard to tell. Both M Sports.

However, it's when I sit on the motorway at 70 on cruise. It's very subtle, but I seem to sense small steering inputs (i.e. not me). I then correct. So on a long drive, I'm constantly correcting the steering. Enough for a passenger to comment on it the other day.

I've just been reading up on the BMW electric PAS. So it switches in and out whenever it senses steering input? Hmmm. Is this what I'm feeling?

What you could be feeling is the tramlining effect of the tyres on the road. Each road has micro cambers and ruts, and our cars can be sensitive to camber. This would result in the car moving from side to side slightly, despite the wheel being held in the straight ahead position.

You could experiment with tyre pressures to see if it brings about an improvement - on 19" wheels, try 36/38psi front/rear as a starting point.

The electric power steering is definitely not the cause of the constant correction.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 03:15 AM   #8
Jamze
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Good point. Maybe I need to try different tyre pressures. Got the standard (193M?) 18s, running at the pressure that it says on the sticker at the moment.

2.5/3.0bar front/rear (about 36/44psi?).
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

Also it is a new car, give the tyres time to bed in.. definitely sounds like camber and tramlining. My car got worse at this after my alignment as small settings in the geometry seems to be very noticeable in the BMWs. It made my car more sensitive but on a long run it can be too much.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

My 2010 LCI E91 felt odd at first - Once it settled in though, it's fine. I do think it was the car settling and not me getting used to it.
      11-28-2010, 03:08 AM   #11
Rob@prismdetailing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

I have had the same problem with mine. It took a while but I got used to it.

Never was an issue with my 5 series. I put it down to the runflats and micro tramlining. It improved when I recently replaced the tyres (still runflats).

I have just got used to it but if I don't use the beemer for while i.e. when the wife keeps taking it every morning instead of the Audi, then I notice it as soon as I drive it again.
Appreciate 0