E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Redlining and engine wear - post your 2 cents here...

09-17-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
agarbati
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, Saph Blk 330i

Question Redlining and engine wear - post your 2 cents here...

Over the past few weeks I have noticed my right foot getting heavier and heavier. I know I've read people saying 'BMW engines like to rev', but what's the common sense about redlining, i.e., revving the engine to 6k rpm or more?

Basically I may be keeping this car until the new shape comes in and don't want to prematurely wear out the engine because of my driving habits.

What effect do high rpm revs have on engine wear?

What is the accepted frequency of revving the engine to above 6k rpm?

Post your wisdom. I'm pretty ignorant about new engine technology so would appreciate your advice.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2005, 11:53 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

You are right BMW engines love to rev. They are designed to rev high and fast but I suppose like any thing so mechanical, if you are heavy on the engine for no apparent reason all the time, you will probably need to visit your service department a little more often than scheduled - hopefully that's the extent of it. You may need to replace your brake pads a little more often and tyres.....Well probably. Not that having loads of fun in such a fun machine a bad thing. Certainly not. I would say go for it. Just be sensible about what you do and when and enjoy it.

I had my e46 323 from new till my e90 and the engine felt as smooth and tight on the last day as it did on the first. (allowing for running in time)

That's BMW for you!
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0