2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Thinking of putting a new phone on my Christmas list...

11-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
DNA_42
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

Thinking of putting a new phone on my Christmas list...

Thinking of putting a new phone on my Christmas list, I have Combox, all I can see now is "Contacts", does anyone know if there is a phone out there which does most of the Office functions...

Not keen in BlackBerrys, would much prefer a iPhone 4. I heard a new iPhone will be out early next year Well March/April). Is it worth waiting for that maybe?

...seeing my diary and emails would be great.... text to voice would be even better...

Thanks
DNA.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

I got text messages to sync with the car today. I have a Nokia E5. If you don't like Blackberrys, then I don't think you'd like it, as it looks and feels much like a Blackberry. Most positive phone related postings seem to favour the Blackberry Torch, so again, not good for your personal taste.

If you wait for the new iPhone you can also be "down with the kids" ... well ... that is ... the kids with several hundred quid to drop on a new iPhone
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
e60lover
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio, X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA_42 View Post
Thinking of putting a new phone on my Christmas list, I have Combox, all I can see now is "Contacts", does anyone know if there is a phone out there which does most of the Office functions...

Not keen in BlackBerrys, would much prefer a iPhone 4. I heard a new iPhone will be out early next year Well March/April). Is it worth waiting for that maybe?

...seeing my diary and emails would be great.... text to voice would be even better...

Thanks
DNA.
I wouldn't expect the iPhone 5 (or whatever it'll be called) until June/July of next year so I'd say get the iPhone 4 now. I absolutely love mine, best phone I've ever owned. It also works great with my new F10! Once you get an iPhone, it's hard to go back.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
DNA_42
Private
Rep

works well?

...what Bluetooth/contacts or full office?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
xrraated
Rep
Drives: Honda civic

petty experience

from the petty site: Richard Petty Driving Experience puts you in a NASCAR race car for an adrenaline pumping thrill of a lifetime that gets you as close to being in The Race as you will ever get! Program offerings are year-round, throughout over 20 tracks nationwide.

Choose from one of our Driving Experiences where your hands are on the wheel, your foot is on the gas and 600 horses are ready to take you for 8 to 80 laps around your favorite speedway. Rather let someone else do the driving? No problem! Ride-along shotgun from the passenger seat as one of our professional instructors takes you for 3 laps around the track at speeds up to 165mph.

Don't forget to take your experience home with our RPDE signature t-shirts, polo shirts, hats and other commemorative souvenir merchandise. Other add-ons include our Race Keeper in-car video packages, state-of-the-art digital photography and photo plaques.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

DNA 42

Go to BMW's site for a full list of phones that support various functions of the new Combox system. (It does not have all the latest phones, but does have quite a few other than Blackberry's) From my limited knowledge, it does seems that phones need to have the latest operating software to support Office. I also think I read somewhere that BMW is working on a software upgrade for the system and should be ready next spring,... which should open up all the Office functions we are looking for.

Do a search on this in this forum and you will find a lot of good information and the experience others are having with Combox and their phones.

Heard that the UK got pounded by snow....at least parts of it. New Car handling it ok?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
bmedude
Woohoo I finally got a beamer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

I personally have an iPhone 4 and think it is a phenomenal phone. It is very polished and runs very smoothly. Most importantly, it works GREAT with the F10's bluetooth and iPod interface. Technology is just one of those things that you can never be ahead of the curve on. If you play the waiting game for the next best thing you will literally be waiting forever. Historically speaking, Apple seems to have a "new" iPhone every two summers and a refresh every year after the release of the "new" model. Expect a refresh next year. Possibly more memory and different colors? Not worth the wait IMO. Now if you are waiting for the iPhone to reach a certain CDMA carrier, then that is a different story.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #8
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

When the iPhone is available on Verizon I am going to change over from Blackberry. The iPhone is very cool.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
DNA_42
Private
Rep

Phone, snow.

Thanks chaps, all good stuff.

My car is now handling well, I have found that quite small changes to seating position helps a lot and driving with two hands firmly on the wheel makes a big difference too. Yes, I know I am supposed to....

Snow has not been a problem, but then I have been pretty cautious...

I must say I am falling in love with the car again now.... really terrific.
Appreciate 0