XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

12-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
bmilo
Registered
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i

official 5.0i exhaust on 3.5i. is it possible ..?

hej everybody.

In 2 weeks or so im going to the bmw dealer to order the 3.5i.

But is it possible to order the 5.0i exhaust by the dealer or do i need to purcase and install it afterwards...?

does anyone have any idea..?

I'm going to the bmw dealer in Amsterdam or de beier in Heerenveen.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
Henry1515
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: X6 35i

Are you referring to the exhaust tip only?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
DK35
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: The MONSTR

Garage List
2010 X6 50i  [9.34]
http://www.supersprint.com/USP0000bmwx64.asp
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
bmilo
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry1515 View Post
Are you referring to the exhaust tip only?

yes only the exhaust tip. is it possible ?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
DK35
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 X6 50i  [9.34]
look at my link......you answer is right there
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
bmilo
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK35 View Post
look at my link......you answer is right there
yeah thx, but can you order it by the dealer on the same day or do i need to order the tip after when i got the car..?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
DK35
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 X6 50i  [9.34]
I am in New York dude....i dont know how things work over there...you have the link...you need to do the rest of the homework yourself

cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
Ikendiken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Possible? Yes. Can you get your dealer to do it? Depends on your relationship with your dealer.

You can't just yank off your 35i tips and slap on the 50i. You'll need the 50i pipes.

There are two problems you will run into 1) the openings through the bumper on the 35i aren't large enough for the 50i pipes. You'll have to bore them out. 2) the 35i has a valve on one side of the car that keeps one side closed except during high pressure. Keeping both sides open will noticeably alter the sound of the i6 exhaust. Some people also complain of a loss of low end torque, but theoretically it shouldn't affect a FI engine... at least not to my understanding.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 02:42 AM   #9
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 35i X6

It is actually official accessory kit for 35i. check realoem.com to find the part number and order it through dealer!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
bmilo
Registered
Rep

yeahh !! thx everybody for the tips

when my x6 is deliverd I will post some picures
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
Henry1515
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikendiken View Post
Possible? Yes. Can you get your dealer to do it? Depends on your relationship with your dealer.

You can't just yank off your 35i tips and slap on the 50i. You'll need the 50i pipes.

There are two problems you will run into 1) the openings through the bumper on the 35i aren't large enough for the 50i pipes. You'll have to bore them out. 2) the 35i has a valve on one side of the car that keeps one side closed except during high pressure. Keeping both sides open will noticeably alter the sound of the i6 exhaust. Some people also complain of a loss of low end torque, but theoretically it shouldn't affect a FI engine... at least not to my understanding.
Can you explain what is the function of the valve? If it does not affect a FI engine then why they design to have a valve there? For X6M there is also valve there. Don,t tell me to lower the noise of the exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #12
MYX6
Enlisted Member
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry1515 View Post
Can you explain what is the function of the valve? If it does not affect a FI engine then why they design to have a valve there? For X6M there is also valve there. Don,t tell me to lower the noise of the exhaust!
You still dont belive what is that valve for. Ask your BMW Service. Every
element along the exhaust pipes are made to reduce noise and pollution.
If the X6M have no the two valves cannot enter Swiss for example.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #13
OTK_KART
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars with 4 wheels

This is the picture of the parts you need for the 50i tip and the part number is 18-30-2-154-632

12-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
Cloudcapp
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
theoretically it shouldn't affect a FI engine... at least not to my understanding.
Not true. It doesn't matter whether it is FI or NA.

It serves two purposes: 1. Keeps backpressure at low end for performance and 2. Reduces noise.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #15
Ikendiken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudcapp View Post
Not true. It doesn't matter whether it is FI or NA.

It serves two purposes: 1. Keeps backpressure at low end for performance and 2. Reduces noise.
That flap is certainly there to reduce noise.

As far as it being there to control back pressure, you may be right. I am no expert, but I don't know if that's as important in a FI engine.

The way that I understand it, in a NA engine you want to control the sudden release of exhaust gases so that you don't slow it down enough to interfere with the next cycle. If the volume of space the gases have to fill is too large the gas will slow down causing back pressure and a loss of power. This is more likely to occur under low RPM.

However, in a FI engine, the turbo results in a steadier stream of gases from the engine, and since the turbo uses the differential in pressure to produce boost the lower the back pressure the more efficiently the turbo can operate. Thus for a FI engine freer flowing is almost always better.

There was an interesting post here awhile back about this mod and its effect on performance. http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341367

Last edited by Ikendiken; 12-25-2010 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #16
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

I tried that golf-tee mod several weeks ago.

i am not too sure if there is any performance loss. I couldn't feel it.
But the car sure became louder. Personally, I had a modified sports car before, so I am kind of tired of the noise, so I reverted it back.

I am fine with the valves, but I really hate it when smoke comes out only on one side. People on the street think my other pipe is fake

If change to the OEM 50i tip, does it remove the valve as well? If so, will the car sound like after golf-tee mod?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #17
Cloudcapp
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
That flap is certainly there to reduce noise.

As far as it being there to control back pressure, you may be right. I am no expert, but I don't know if that's as important in a FI engine.

The way that I understand it, in a NA engine you want to control the sudden release of exhaust gases so that you don't slow it down enough to interfere with the next cycle. If the volume of space the gases have to fill is too large the gas will slow down causing back pressure and a loss of power. This is more likely to occur under low RPM.

However, in a FI engine, the turbo results in a steadier stream of gases from the engine, and since the turbo uses the differential in pressure to produce boost the lower the back pressure the more efficiently the turbo can operate. Thus for a FI engine freer flowing is almost always better.

There was an interesting post here awhile back about this mod and its effect on performance. http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341367
Thanks for your thoughts. I believe you are mistaken about how the internal combustion engine works in general and the difference between naturally aspirated and forced induction specifically. There is no such thing as "steadier stream of gases" with the turbo. To simply put: the air comes in when the intake valve is opened, and after compression and combustion, the byproducts are exited through the exhaust. The only difference with a turbo engine is that the intake air is compressed (higher density) rather than being at atmospheric pressure. With that said, theoretically (from a thermodynamic standpoint) there is no difference between the two as far as how backpressure affects performance.

The problem I see with removing the flap and also other modifications done by casual operators with knowledge gained from internet boards are that the original design intent is not fully understood (even though this is rather minor).
To certain extent, I can empathize because even as a mechanical design engineer, I can't fully understand some features in legacy designs. However, I always give them (the OEM engineers) the benefit of the doubt initially.

This thread, however, appears like an aesthetic issue rather than performance because I don't see a performance nor economical benefit in "upgrading" to a 50i exhaust.
Appreciate 0