E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Need Help! - Remove Rear Seat Back

09-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
actionj_99
Private
Rep
Drives: Ex-BMW Owner

Need Help! - Remove Rear Seat Back

Guys,

Need to get access to the MOST distribution block. Anyone here do the CD changer install or the Satellite Radio Install? How do I remove the Rear Seat Back? My car DOES NOT have fold down seats.

Thanks in Advance,
Sam
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2005, 02:41 AM   #2
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionj_99
Guys,

Need to get access to the MOST distribution block. Anyone here do the CD changer install or the Satellite Radio Install? How do I remove the Rear Seat Back? My car DOES NOT have fold down seats.

Thanks in Advance,
Sam
Three steps:

First: Take out the rear seat lower part (just pull hard at the front seam(upwards) and it pops loose and can be taken out)

second: unscrew the bolts at the lower end of the rear seat back that hold the seat. They are Torx heads of either 40 or 50 size (T40 or T50)

Third: climb in the boot with a screwdriver facing upwards to the parcel shell. Find the (almost hidden) unlocking holes (one left, one right) for the rear seats (just a hole on the metal with a lever behind them) and move the lever outwards to unlock the rear seat back. Itīs a so called emergency release latch (donīt ask me why itīs called that since there still are the bolts at the lower part of the seat). That release latch is really hard to find and even after youīve found it itīs really hard to figure out what to move where, but once youīve done it, itīs easy.
      09-20-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
actionj_99
Private
Rep

Thanks TierFreund...

I will take a look today! I got the seat bottom off easy enough, just gotta find the Bolts and Release Lever.

-Sam
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2005, 12:36 AM   #4
actionj_99
Private
Rep

Found it! It was just as you said and its a T50 by the way. I will post pictures tommorow for anyone else interested.

-Sam
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2005, 07:55 PM   #5
CA330i
Private
Rep

Is it easy to replace the seat bottom once it is removed? Does it just 'snap' back into position? I need to get under the seat bottom but am nervous about removing it.
      10-28-2005, 12:44 AM   #6
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA330i
Is it easy to replace the seat bottom once it is removed? Does it just 'snap' back into position? I need to get under the seat bottom but am nervous about removing it.
Yes. Very easy. Itīs about the easiest part of the E90 to dismantle and reasemble. To put it back in, you just push it in to the back an then push it down hard at the front until it snaps in.

Btw, why do you need to get under there ? Thereīs nothing of interest beneath it and no space to mount anything.
      10-28-2005, 01:19 AM   #7
CA330i
Private
Rep

Much to my dismay, my daughter threw up in the back seat. . It wasn't very much, and I was able to clean it all up, except for some that went under the seat.

Glad you asked?
      10-28-2005, 01:42 AM   #8
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

No. Curiosity killed the cat...
      12-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #9
AW330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA330i
Much to my dismay, my daughter threw up in the back seat. . It wasn't very much, and I was able to clean it all up, except for some that went under the seat.

Glad you asked?
ewwwww, i am sorry to hear that... I dont know that I would have been able to compose myself between the vomiting which really freaks me out btw to my car getting "messed up"... I would have definatley been taking deep breaths in the brown bag!
      12-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #10
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Great advice Tierfreund and well done actionj and CA330 for a job well done. It does seem to be an easy thing to do but I just hope I never need to do it anyway as easy as it seems to be. Brave fellows, even though it was necessary to be done, no question.

Thing is, once you have done it, it's easy (that's the wisdom of hindsight) but till then....

Cheers people.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
BMW0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks Mr. Animal friend (just joking)! Your knowledge is well respected here at E90Post Tierfreund!

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 11:51 PM   #12
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
Three steps:

First: Take out the rear seat lower part (just pull hard at the front seam(upwards) and it pops loose and can be taken out)

second: unscrew the bolts at the lower end of the rear seat back that hold the seat. They are Torx heads of either 40 or 50 size (T40 or T50)

Third: climb in the boot with a screwdriver facing upwards to the parcel shell. Find the (almost hidden) unlocking holes (one left, one right) for the rear seats (just a hole on the metal with a lever behind them) and move the lever outwards to unlock the rear seat back. Itīs a so called emergency release latch (donīt ask me why itīs called that since there still are the bolts at the lower part of the seat). That release latch is really hard to find and even after youīve found it itīs really hard to figure out what to move where, but once youīve done it, itīs easy.
Excellent instruction since I had to retrieve an M&M that my daughter some how let fall into the crack! Thanks!
      08-31-2006, 09:21 AM   #13
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW330i
ewwwww, i am sorry to hear that... I dont know that I would have been able to compose myself between the vomiting which really freaks me out btw to my car getting "messed up"... I would have definatley been taking deep breaths in the brown bag!
the vomit might not be the thing that will get you. You can always turn away and not look at the vomit. But you definitely will not be able to escape the odor of vomit...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 11:09 AM   #14
joebaggg
E60
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Attack

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
speaking of throwup. friends 23 b-day down at the jersey shore. kid pukes captin morgan alll over with the windows down goin 110 on the garden state parkway. car was 2 weeks old. you can imagine my feelings. anyways 2 weeks and $800 later it was better than the day i picked it up from BMW. the guy told me he had to use a tooth brush on the celing and a tooth pick to get the puke out of the buttons on the radio. groseeee!
p.s. no smell! haha theres hope for all situations because mine was the worst!
joey
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 11:18 AM   #15
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaggg
speaking of throwup. friends 23 b-day down at the jersey shore. kid pukes captin morgan alll over with the windows down goin 110 on the garden state parkway. car was 2 weeks old. you can imagine my feelings. anyways 2 weeks and $800 later it was better than the day i picked it up from BMW. the guy told me he had to use a tooth brush on the celing and a tooth pick to get the puke out of the buttons on the radio. groseeee!
p.s. no smell! haha theres hope for all situations because mine was the worst!
joey
what a way to break in the car interior
      02-26-2007, 11:46 PM   #16
ibd12nv
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rep
Drives: 335I, E46 M3, X5M

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
Heres a question for you guys... Is it possible to replace the rear seats in the sedan with the seats in the coupe??
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #17
danpen
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Help

"Third: climb in the boot with a screwdriver facing upwards to the parcel shell. Find the (almost hidden) unlocking holes (one left, one right) for the rear seats (just a hole on the metal with a lever behind them) and move the lever outwards to unlock the rear seat back. Itīs a so called emergency release latch (donīt ask me why itīs called that since there still are the bolts at the lower part of the seat). That release latch is really hard to find and even after youīve found it itīs really hard to figure out what to move where, but once youīve done it, itīs easy."

I must be blind because I don't think I see these levers. I see two holes with a white plastic part behind them, and the plastic parts seem to move and have a spring tension on them, but they don't seem to be unlatching anything. Or am I looking at the wrong thing completely? This seems to make sense because they are in line with two metal posts that run forwards towards the seat backs.

Also, I guess I should double check that there are only two torx bolts that hold the seatback on. There are 7 total I think but all but those two seem to only be anchor points for the seat belts.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 07:41 AM   #18
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpen View Post
"Third: climb in the boot with a screwdriver facing upwards to the parcel shell. Find the (almost hidden) unlocking holes (one left, one right) for the rear seats (just a hole on the metal with a lever behind them) and move the lever outwards to unlock the rear seat back. Itīs a so called emergency release latch (donīt ask me why itīs called that since there still are the bolts at the lower part of the seat). That release latch is really hard to find and even after youīve found it itīs really hard to figure out what to move where, but once youīve done it, itīs easy."

I must be blind because I don't think I see these levers. I see two holes with a white plastic part behind them, and the plastic parts seem to move and have a spring tension on them, but they don't seem to be unlatching anything. Or am I looking at the wrong thing completely? This seems to make sense because they are in line with two metal posts that run forwards towards the seat backs.

Also, I guess I should double check that there are only two torx bolts that hold the seatback on. There are 7 total I think but all but those two seem to only be anchor points for the seat belts.
Yes, you need to get a big screw driver and unlatch the lever in the trunk on the upper parcel shelf like you described. The spring lever is very tough to move (dont let the size fool you into thinking it easy to move the lever). Keep working at it.

Also, yes, there is only 2 torx screws (lower middle of seatback. gl
      03-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #19
danpen
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Hrm... I must have been looking at the wrong things. The white "levers" were only about 1" square and were not difficult to move (I could reach in with a finger and move them pretty easily).

Thanks for the help, I'll have to look some more. I've got to take it to the dealer for the 1st reprogram in satellite installation, maybe they will be kind enough to show me where it is (and not charge me an hours labor for it).
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #20
txusa03
Major General
Rep

is this what you are looking at from the trunk up at the upper parcel shelf?

if so, where is the white clip you are talking about.

btw, dont remove those 2 screws or you will be somewhat sorry you did. coz it a pain to put it back (just trust me on that). could be that i dont know what i am doing but I been there so i thought i warn yall. I think the right way to remove the seat is to release the lever located somewhere in the general area of my photo.
Attached Images

03-20-2007, 10:35 AM   #21
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinderŪ surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

^ tex, you know you're gonna get a LOT of PMs from me come summer when I take apart my car right?

so helpful with the pics
      03-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #22
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
^ tex, you know you're gonna get a LOT of PMs from me come summer when I take apart my car right?

so helpful with the pics
bookmarks and favorites is your friends...