BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-30-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
maestroX2
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

Buy local at MSRP or buy 100 miles away and pocketed $2.5K+ saving ?

I just check AMEX auto price: http://amexnetwork.zag.com/main.html and one dealer quote about $700 above invoice price. It's not far either, about 60 miles away. Three local dealers want MSRP on X3.

If $500, I don't mind but 2.5K difference, that's one year worth of gas.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Present the better deal to your local dealer and give them the chance to meet or beat it. If they let you walk, it's their loss. I'd buy it at the significantly better price and get it serviced at the local dealer. If the local servicing dealer gives you any BS about the service being not so great because you bought it somewhere else, make a note of it and call BMW NA and let them know.That is hugely wrong.

Good luck and report back!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
maestroX2
Private
Rep

one dealer won't back down from their MSRP asking price and another dealer will meet the price. Both about 15 mins away.

Few dealers don't participate in AMEX or Costco auto program. I think they have to pay certain amount to be in the program. But many of them will meet or beat the quote price.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
maestroX2
Private
Rep

Wow.. I guess I'll order from dealer that is far away from us. I went to local dealer and they really tried to sell what they have in stock. Even tried to sell me old X3 or X5. I told them I want to place an order. Suddenly, he said the person who is in charge to place an order already left for new year. WTH, it was 11 am. I already called yesterday and he knew I want to place an order. I walk away from that dealership as fast as I can.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestroX2 View Post
Wow.. I guess I'll order from dealer that is far away from us. I went to local dealer and they really tried to sell what they have in stock. Even tried to sell me old X3 or X5. I told them I want to place an order. Suddenly, he said the person who is in charge to place an order already left for new year. WTH, it was 11 am. I already called yesterday and he knew I want to place an order. I walk away from that dealership as fast as I can.
Amazing the number of times this happens.

- "Hi, I'd like to spend $50,000 with you today."
- "Could you come back tomorrow?!"

If I worked at dealership I would be bending over backwards to get you to spend your money.

I had a similar experience with VW and Audi dealers in the UK. Audi couldn't get a Q5 for a test drive and didn't tell me until I turned up at the dealership ready to test! That the was same day I went to BMW for the first time because I had an hour to kill, so I guess I should be grateful to Audi! Audi re-arranged a test drive for me and emailed me FOUR WEEKS later to tell me!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
kdl
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deep Sea Blue X3 28i

Quote:
Good luck on the dealer 100 miles away. You might end up with a similar encounter. The trap is to get you in the dealership. Just curious, I also filled in some info on the amex/zag link you provided, very interesting, the dealer can sell for 2.5k less is 77 miles away. I have BMW dealers in 10/20/30/... miles range. Go figure.

I did manage bring down price on a fully loaded GLK for over 5K, even below after knocking off dealer incentive/holdback (3% of MSRP), but the GLK was in the dealership, I even checked something inside, but for X3, I was warned from the MB dealer, will be no discount since it's a brand new model. If you can get some, take it. If not, wait till you can maybe in the summer.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
maestroX2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdl View Post
Good luck on the dealer 100 miles away. You might end up with a similar encounter. The trap is to get you in the dealership. Just curious, I also filled in some info on the amex/zag link you provided, very interesting, the dealer can sell for 2.5k less is 77 miles away. I have BMW dealers in 10/20/30/... miles range. Go figure.

I did manage bring down price on a fully loaded GLK for over 5K, even below after knocking off dealer incentive/holdback (3% of MSRP), but the GLK was in the dealership, I even checked something inside, but for X3, I was warned from the MB dealer, will be no discount since it's a brand new model. If you can get some, take it. If not, wait till you can maybe in the summer.

You don't have to go to dealership to place an order. So many things can be done via the internet nowadays. Last time, when I bought my wife 328i on Christmas Eve, all the transactions ( price, finance + trade in ) are done over the phone. We were in the dealership for less than hour to sign all the paperworks and my wife got nice Christmas Gift.

Although one Honda dealer here really gave the best car buying I ever experience. I was looking for CPO Odyssey EX-L with RES/NAV. Found one but about 70 miles away. Called them, agreed on price and they sent the van to my house. I inspected and tested drive it. Then, all paperworks signed in my dining table, wrote the check to them, hand shake and done deal.

But yeah, I hate dealers that want you to step into dealership. That old dealer trick won't work for me anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
kdl
United_States
Rep

Quote:
MaestroX2, just curious, your post on 11/05 said you placed an order, on 12/25, in transportation, what happened? Why order again?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
Cactus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8i

I looked at the AMEX site and was glad to see that my local dealer participates!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
kdl
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
I looked at the AMEX site and was glad to see that my local dealer participates!
What's the url to check amex participating dealer? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
Cactus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8i

Quote:
What's the url to check amex participating dealer? Thanks.
Use this link and they will give you a distance in miles to a participating dealer. For me, there is only one dealer within 25 miles so it was easy to figure it out.

http://amexnetwork.zag.com/main.html

Does anyone know if the BMWCCA discount can be added to the AMEX price?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 11:53 PM   #12
maestroX2
Private
Rep

Quote:
MaestroX2, just curious, your post on 11/05 said you placed an order, on 12/25, in transportation, what happened? Why order again?
don't feel like to tell the story but to make it short, I won't even buy parts from that dealer. Partly, it's my fault to do verbal agreement instead of in writing. Since deal went south, we better part away.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #13
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

If you happen to be a USAA member, check out their car buying program. Gave me prices with three local dealerships on the vehicle configured exactly as I wanted it. The dealer I selected was at $400 over invoice. Simple, fast purchase process with everyone happy.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #14
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Use this link and they will give you a distance in miles to a participating dealer. For me, there is only one dealer within 25 miles so it was easy to figure it out.

Shouldn't be a problem, as long as it's new and bought from a BMW dealer.
      03-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:

I got some 3,500-4000 dollars off....special ordered....
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #16
loatron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 28i

Quote:

I assume you're referring to the BMWCCA rebate? If so, yes, you get your rebate regardless of your cars negotiated price.
Appreciate 0