BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

02-12-2007, 09:34 PM   #1
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
3rd hand info from Germany

Posted on Roadfly E46 M3 Forum by DoubleClutch:

"My buddy just drove the new M3 He's over in Germany currently at an aftermarket company's headquarters fitting the new M3 for performance parts. I guess, with the "major" players in the aftermarket sector, the auto manufacturers let these guys mock up their test mules for their performance parts. I personally don't see why BMW would do this because there's no compensation, that I'm aware of, received from their sales?? Maybe it's a one time fee paid to BMW to borrower the car for a few days for fitments?

Regardless, he says the thing pulls very quickly. He just took delivery of a 997 GT3 and says they're not to far off from each other in terms of acceleration. At the same time he hasn't finished breaking in the GT3 so take that for what it's worth. He was told to keep it under 200 kph which he found hard to do. He said the hp would be around 410-420 with europe getting a slightly higher (10-15hp) output car.

He also noticed the suspension was very tight and responsive, though road feel was harsher than an E46 (no worries here IMO).

No talk of a CSL was mentioned, but of course the cab and saloon were already in the pipe so..

Didn't get that much from him since he had to get going but I thought this would give us enthusiasts some hope of what we can expect.

Back before the E60 M5 was released he had the same opportunity so hopefully what he says stays true. Sounds like we have a beast coming our way fellas!"
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post

"My buddy just drove the new M3 He's over in Germany currently at an aftermarket company's headquarters fitting the new M3 for performance parts. I guess, with the "major" players in the aftermarket sector, the auto manufacturers let these guys mock up their test mules for their performance parts. I personally don't see why BMW would do this because there's no compensation, that I'm aware of, received from their sales?? Maybe it's a one time fee paid to BMW to borrower the car for a few days for fitments?

Regardless, he says the thing pulls very quickly. He just took delivery of a 997 GT3 and says they're not to far off from each other in terms of acceleration. At the same time he hasn't finished breaking in the GT3 so take that for what it's worth. He was told to keep it under 200 kph which he found hard to do. He said the hp would be around 410-420 with europe getting a slightly higher (10-15hp) output car.

He also noticed the suspension was very tight and responsive, though road feel was harsher than an E46 (no worries here IMO).
No talk of a CSL was mentioned, but of course the cab and saloon were already in the pipe so..

Didn't get that much from him since he had to get going but I thought this would give us enthusiasts some hope of what we can expect.

Back before the E60 M5 was released he had the same opportunity so hopefully what he says stays true. Sounds like we have a beast coming our way fellas!"

thanks for the post

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
MisterBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

thank you...but

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Not worthless at all (without pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBMW View Post
Heck a darn good post I thought. GregW wasn't thin 2nd hand (from your buddy right to you)? Exciting news to me. The first I have heard of non BMW folks getting to drive it. Sure wish it was me.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 02:20 AM   #5
MisterBMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Heck a darn good post I thought. GregW wasn't thin 2nd hand (from your buddy right to you)? Exciting news to me. The first I have heard of non BMW folks getting to drive it. Sure wish it was me.
Its a great post indeed. I was just getting tired of spy pics showing camou-ed test mules all the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 05:18 AM   #6
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Sorry but I just don't see why BMW would provide pre-release vehicles to aftermarket suppliers/tuners.

Pics or ban! :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
Sorry but I just don't see why BMW would provide pre-release vehicles to aftermarket suppliers/tuners.

that's what i am thinking...
i guess they couldn't find a persom from BMW to testdrive it(?)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #8
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

I do know that Ford did this with the '05 Mustang GT and again with the GT500. It's very possible this is legit.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:

"[b]
This is classic. The guy calls his friend from Germany about test driving the new M3 . . . but oops no real details because he had to get going . . . so that's all the info we get. Nothing about CF roof, EDC, etc.

It could be true, but come on. It has the earmarks of a hoax.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 10:53 AM   #10
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Aftermarket preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post

This is often done with enthusiast-type vehicles. Manufacturer's know enthusiast like to mod their cars, and if the aftermarket doesn't get their hands on them until after they go on sale the lag time for tuner parts is long and the initial release excitment is not sustained as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
Manz_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 BLACK + M6 BLACK.

Quote:

with europe getting a slightly higher (10-15hp) output car.
:rocks: :rocks: :rocks:
kinda makes up for us having to pay double what you guys pay in the US!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #12
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

Indeed, it's also good that we can make use of Individual.
      02-13-2007, 02:40 PM   #13
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

NO ONE OUTSIDE BMW AG GETS TO DRIVE A PROTOTYPE BEFORE LAUNCH UNLESS FOR PRESS OR MEDIA PURPOSE .

This also goes for the tuning market .
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #14
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
NO ONE OUTSIDE BMW AG GETS TO DRIVE A PROTOTYPE BEFORE LAUNCH UNLESS FOR PRESS OR MEDIA PURPOSE .

thank youuuuu i knew it was bs.

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #15
Bemve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW/FR e92 M3

Thats what i thought also!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 04:34 PM   #16
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Finally something other than gossip

Quote:

Thanks Scott. How about something other than refuting some BS test drive story? The BMW marketing/gossip machine is sooo slow these days . All the forums are DEAD. Even though Chicago is going on give us a tiny piece of information!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #17
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Thanks Scott. How about something other than refuting some BS test drive story? The BMW marketing/gossip machine is sooo slow these days . All the forums are DEAD. Even though Chicago is going on give us a tiny piece of information!
Whilst all is quiet on the M3 front although the first M3 Tourings have taken their first road in the Arctic circle.

I think attention has turned to the first pictures of prototypes of the E82 - The new small BMW Coupe which will make things clear of why the new M3 moves up a segment . BMW have very big plans for this baby! They want to spiritually connect this car not only to the 2002 but also the E30 .

And that means an all out dynamic character which will differ from the standard hatch and offer both four cylinder and Six cylinder twin-turbocharged power. And then a new Six cylinder engine being developed by M division will top the range.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #18
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manz_UK View Post
:rocks: :rocks: :rocks:
kinda makes up for us having to pay double what you guys pay in the US!
seems like you are happy with what you are paying for M3 (twice as much as US price) for 10~15hp hahaha
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #19
Trpltrbl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Fast

Generally the eurospec M3, S4, RS4, R32 are faster and better.
Reason why more expensive is the taxsystem.
You pay easily up to 35-40% more taxes on a car in certain European countries.
I can give you guys some numbers and calculate it for you, but I won't. Have better things to do with my time :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 01:06 AM   #20
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Not really interested in M3 touring nor E82....

Quote:
Whilst all is quiet on the M3 front although the first M3 Tourings have taken their first road in the Arctic circle.

I think attention has turned to the first pictures of prototypes of the E82 - The new small BMW Coupe which will make things clear of why the new M3 moves up a segment . BMW have very big plans for this baby! They want to spiritually connect this car not only to the 2002 but also the E30 .

And that means an all out dynamic character which will differ from the standard hatch and offer both four cylinder and Six cylinder twin-turbocharged power. And then a new Six cylinder engine being developed by M division will top the range.
Thanks for the updates although personally I am only interested in M cars and right now only in the E92 M3! Again the boards are painfully slow, esp. our brothers over at germancarzone.com. Oh well perhaps the lull before the storm is "required".
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 03:45 AM   #21
MisterBMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for these first hand information. Always love to read your post :rocks:

And now, so that third hand information about the tuners are nothing but a load of

Last edited by MisterBMW; 02-14-2007 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #22
Smoltz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 Challenge Stradale + 02 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trpltrbl View Post
Generally the eurospec M3, S4, RS4, R32 are faster and better.
Reason why more expensive is the taxsystem.
You pay easily up to 35-40% more taxes on a car in certain European countries.
I can give you guys some numbers and calculate it for you, but I won't. Have better things to do with my time :rocks:
That was true years ago, but is no longer the case. The US E46 M3 and Euro E46 M3 were identical aside from the catylytic converters and bumper reflectors. This probably sapped a little bit of power but nothing that couldn't be fixed with simply replacing the headers. The B6 S4 and Euro S4 were identical save for headlights, and door flares, the US R32 actually has MORE power than the european counter part due to the larger MAF/intake (3" vs. 2.5"), the US R32 does have softer suspension and was rumored to weigh more. The euro RS4 and us RS4 have a number of differences, but it's mostly due to US regulation, nothing Audi can do about that.

To say that today, the eurospec cars are faster and better is simply not true. There may be some desieralbe features/options that aren't available here, but when you look at the cost (even if you disregard tax), we're still getting a great deal.

-Adam
Appreciate 0