BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
kdl
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deep Sea Blue X3 28i

849 (New?) X3 sold in US in December 2010

Referring to the 2010 December sales chart from : http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472290

People started taking delivery after mid December.

Compared with mere 91 2010 X3 sold in November.

Only a few people reported here, I also knew a local delivery according to my CA, mine will be in Mid January.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdl View Post
People started taking delivery after mid December.

Compared with mere 91 2010 X3 sold in November.

Only a few people reported here, I also knew a local delivery according to my CA, mine will be in Mid January.
That does seem high but a better comparison would be December 2009. Understandable that people didn't buy the old X3 in November knowing there was a new improved model available for order soon. I'm surprised they sold 91.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
JTreehorn23
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Interesting, I do know my local dealer sold both of their first test units within a 2 week span of obtaining them as they had stock product on the way.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 03:11 AM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
...Understandable that people didn't buy the old X3 in November knowing there was a new improved model available for order soon. I'm surprised they sold 91.
The local dealer here was offering a very high discount (on the order of 15% to 20%) on the few remaining 2010 X3's they had in stock in December. I think they sold them all. There are apparently a lot of buyers who have no idea that a new model is coming or don't care and just want to take advantage of the big discount. A brand new 2010 X3 at $37,000 that you can drive home the same day can look quite attractive when compared to a 2011 at $47,000 that you have to wait 2-months for.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
The local dealer here was offering a very high discount (on the order of 15% to 20%) on the few remaining 2010 X3's they had in stock in December. I think they sold them all. There are apparently a lot of buyers who have no idea that a new model is coming or don't care and just want to take advantage of the big discount. A brand new 2010 X3 at $37,000 that you can drive home the same day can look quite attractive when compared to a 2011 at $47,000 that you have to wait 2-months for.
I guess at 20% discount you'll get rid of the remaining stock so that would explain the relatively high sales. This underlines my point about Dec 09 being a better comparison though.

Do you think any of the old model buyers really didn't know there was a new one? Would love to see the moment of realisation when a 2011 pulled alongside for the first time

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
...Do you think any of the old model buyers really didn't know there was a new one? Would love to see the moment of realisation when a 2011 pulled alongside for the first time
I'd be willing to bet that the majority of customers to this dealership have no idea that there is a major model change under way. Around here, many X3 and X5 drivers are typical suburban "soccer moms" who would not recognize another X3 if it pulled alongside, let alone one from a different model year. No offense to any "soccer moms" reading this. :-)

For many people a car is just an appliance. If it has room for the average 2.3 kids, 6 bags of groceries, starts and runs reasonably well, and has a comfortable interior, that's all that matters. Many of these cars probably never see anything more than half throttle, 3000rpm, or 0.4G lateral cornering loads.

The person who checks this forum every day, and knows the detailed differences between a X3 20d, 28i, 35i is in a tiny minority and is probably considered a little "odd" by the "typical" car (even BMW) customer.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
The person who checks this forum every day, and knows the detailed differences between a X3 20d, 28i, 35i is in a tiny minority and is probably considered a little "odd" by the "typical" car (even BMW) customer.
And people that check this forum multiple times every day and study the brochures and accessories and comb the internet for photos and videos of the X3? How many posts before I'm considered odd? Oh no, it's too late isn't it?!

I think I'm lost in forum world and assuming all other owners and soon-to-be owners are like-minded but you're right of course, we're in the (proud!) minority!

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
And people that check this forum multiple times every day and study the brochures and accessories and comb the internet for photos and videos of the X3? How many posts before I'm considered odd? Oh no, it's too late isn't it?!
+1

Not long for you now!

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
+1

Not long for you now!
Fingers crossed, should get a delivery date this week. Tried to track my production number and VIN on the bmwusa website but it says not found, so I'm left with just making a nuisance of myself and calling the dealer for updates regularly. He must hate me already!

Appreciate 0