E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Warranty.... Good Or Bad?

02-14-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
Warranty.... Good Or Bad?

I need your advice guys......

I recently had a Playstation put in my E90. Cos it would take long, I stayed and watched my qualified auto-electrician install the console under my front passenger seat. After testing to make sure it works ok with my tv in my dash, i drove off happy.

A couple days later, my airbag light and selt belt sign came on and stayed on. It wouldnt go off when I started driving so that annoyed me and so I rang BMW to enquire about what I should do. They said that its common to knock the seat airbag sensor and to trigger the sign to stay on and to bring it in and theyll fix it under warranty.

OK, so i book it in and leave it there. Only to come back a few hours later and get charged $60 for them to do a 10mins diagnostic check and reset the airbag feature in the computer. They found the playstation under the seat and said it was what set off the sensor and it was my fault so I should pay for it.

But the light came on only after a few days of getting the playstation installed and i used it many times inbetween!!! What u guys think, BMW being picky or it is my fault?

Not a happy camper!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
Neo JB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

It's hard to tell. Either it's just a cooincidence or the PS2 was the problem.

Dealers will use any excuse to push the blame somewhere else, no matter how politely they do it. That's why, especially with BMWs (where repairs and claims are pricey), I do nothing to the interior, especially with the complicated electrics that they have. I had a PS2 in an old car but just ran it off a power invertor so no mods required.

I even considered getting a Superchips engine upgrade to my E90 but decided not to as the dealer can overwrite the software without you even knowing, and you loose all the modifications...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 01:58 AM   #3
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

Yeah that sucks, i wouldn't do any interior mod just because if anything stuffs up i know the dealer will blame it on the mod. I think you have to just live with the $60 fixup.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 05:50 AM   #4
vinno
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Non BMW

$60 is a bit pricey for a quick switch on-off.. but as mentioned, I guess dealerships try and come up with every reason to blame it on you..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 03:53 AM   #5
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Just out of curiosity, have any of you had your first service? How much would i be expecting to pay for a 18000kms service and this is my first service.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
so that is an oil service? or an inspection service?
      02-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep

Garage List
inspection service i guess..... spark plugs, oil, filters etc.... minor and major... im not sure which is my first.... im assuming a minor???
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
yeh, first you get an oil service, then a minor service, then a major.. after that, it alternates between minor and major

if this is your first, i would assume it would just be an oil service? where they just change the air filters and oil and fluids etc...

i think that's how it works anyway...

it would probably cost you anywhere from $300 - $550 probably... what it cost me anyway, but could be entirely different for an e90
      02-19-2007, 10:08 PM   #9
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Why oh why have I bought myself a BMW..... sigh.....

My boyfriend is brilliant with cars having been involved with AutoSalon and winning a few trophies.... he could do a change of oil for me FOC rather than me forking out $460 (i rang BMW) to change the oil!! I mean, they throw in all this crap like 'oh we will check this and check that' ... mate, itll just be opening a cover here & there, pulling out a stick out and wipe here and there! 'thank you & see ya later sucker ' theyll be saying to me. Dont get me wrong, i adore my car to such an extent, and i dont do anything on the cheap, but im practical with my money... i hate being ripped off.... like my blooming oil top up saga!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 11:46 PM   #10
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
i went in for an un schedualed oil change, and they only charged me $250..?