E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Need some help with H&R Springs.

View Poll Results: Which Springs Should I Pick?
H&R OE Sport Springs * Lowers .25 - .75” on average 0 0%
H&R Sport Springs * Lowers 1.5 - 1.8” on average 4 100.00%
H&R Super Sport Springs * Lowers 1.75 - 2.3” on average 0 0%
H&R Race Springs * Lowers 1.75 - 2.5” on average 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

01-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
atarkatchev
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 xi E92 Alpine White

Exclamation Need some help with H&R Springs.

Looking to get spring for me 2011 E92 335xi.

Which ones should i get..

http://www.hrsprings.com/products/springs/

Also i am getting 19" wheels on in the spring, would the springs effect them as in fitment because i do not want to do any body work since they lower the car and what would you guys suggest for springs i need to make my decision fast please help...
Please give reason and if it matters i am a daily driver city and highway 50%/ 50% but i also like to hit it here and their so i am an all around driver not someone who takes the car to the track every week and race and what not...

Thank a lot guys looking forward to your opinions,

- Allan

Last edited by atarkatchev; 01-17-2011 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Nachos23
HotBimmer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 335GT & 2000 Z3M Roadster

Garage List
2016 BMW 335GT  [0.00]
2000 BMW Z3M  [0.00]
The question ultimately comes down to how you intend to use your car. If it's strictly a daily driver and there is no tracking @ all you could go with the OE springs. I'd recommend the Sport springs as they provide a good balance between extra traction (they are about 30% stiffer than stock OE) and a real nice appearance. Also the additonal camber from a 1.5" lowering is minimal in comparision to the extensive camber you'll have if you lower further. Since the camber is barely adjustable, the greater the camber the greater the inner tire wear and shorter the lifespan of your tires.

Additionally, the extra harshness of the ride going to super sport or race (race not recommended for daily driver; see notes on website) is not worth the advantages IMO.

One thing ALOT of people forget when lowering, is the additional stress that's placed on the shock towers and upper strut mounts. If you go with the sport springs, they increase stiffness 30% above stock. That translates to considerable additional loading on the front strut towers. If lowering and stiffning a suspension, always include a good strut brace in your plans. Under load there is considerable flexing of the uppper tower which leads to the common issue of strut tower separation from the body (the welds physically break due to the additional stresses). Additionally, when cornering hard, you will notice a "chatter" with no brace installed.... That chatter is actually translated to the strut towers and if you could video tape them, they would be moving side to side absorbing the loads... A strut brace distributes the loads, reduces stress on the towers by minimizing their movement; resulting in improved traction under load (spirited driving) and avoid costly repairs to upper strut towers. All-in-all an excellent investment!!

You don't have to pay through the nose for a strut brace, but don't go cheap on one either. You could as far as to discuss strut brace materials because due to operating temps of the engine bay, the composition of the brace can also play a factor as different metals have different reactions to heat; some flex more (bad), some less (ok) and some don't flex @ all (Carbon Fiber parts).

Just my 2cents.
Appreciate 0