E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Found out the smoothest/quickest way to casually launch 6MT 335xi

01-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Found out the smoothest/quickest way to casually launch 6MT 335xi

xi.

So I realized I was wayyy overrevving when I got into first from neutral.

Apparently the way to take off smoothly with quick clutch uptake is to apply the clutch at around 1000 rpm...anything higher, and the xi tranny takes that annoyingly long time to deal with the torque and it "bogs down", requiring you to feather the clutch as the tranny deals with all that torque which is frustrating.

If you "launch" or start off by engaging 1st gear from neutral at around 1000 rpm, there isn't as much torque to deal with, and the XI connects rapidly, doesn't give you much bog.

This obviously isn't for racing, but for casual, relaxed, day to day driving -- I just find the faster connection and lack of bogging now to be a more pure driving experience.

I realize now why it was bogging, because the engine is turbo, all that torque comes in at 1400, even with part throttle (tip in is soo damn strong on the 335xi), so you need to engage the clutch before 1400 so uptake is faster.

This is just for those wondering why there is so much bogginess when you engage 1st gear in the XI.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars!

interesting. i just switched to a manual and im loving it. how hard to you rev to get up a really steep hill before you let go of the clutch?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
RedKev335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Nice theory...i might have to try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genek335 View Post
interesting. i just switched to a manual and im loving it. how hard do you rev to get up a really steep hill before you let go of the clutch?

it depends on how steep but of course you would be giving it more gas and taking off higher than 1k.
Appreciate 0