E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Taking the plunge tomorrow

05-06-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Taking the plunge tomorrow

Hey guys,

You all are like my E90 family now. I've been reading and thinking and looking at this car for quite a few weeks, mostly here on these boards. Tomorrow I'm supposed to make the final call on the colors I want so that I can finally place my order.

I am going to a dealer to check out these things in person *once again* (and to finally see gray leather in person on the E90) but I'd like to feel out your opinions on it as well.

1) Is it pretty likely that SG cars will suffer from swirl marks? I mean this color is really dark. Much darker than it looks in photos, than I had anticipated, or would have liked.

2) For the above reason I'm leaning towards choosing between TiAg and Arctic. But Arctic is driving me nuts! Its the craziest color I've ever seen on a production car. This car goes from light blue to light green to light gray and every shade in between on a whim! Sometimes it just looks really beautiful to me while some of the hues I could really do without, especially the greenish ones.

So any verdict from owners on which shade it looks like *most* of the time? I ask since each photo we see taken is in distinct lighting but not necessarily lighting encountered regularly (e.g. car shows or dealer showrooms).

3) So clearly the coolest combo of colors if I get TiAg is Black/Aluminum inside. That said, what would be the best interior combo on an Arctic car?

4) Is leather really going to require that much maintenance to keep in decent shape? What is reasonable maintenance care for leather in a BMW?

Wow, lots of questions. Its a big committment and thanks for everyone's contributions to the board. Its awesome. I guess I better post what I'm ordering to since everyone's always curious.

I'm gonna order a 330i, Premium, Sport, Cold, Step, Sat Prep.

Thanks for your answers ahead of time.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2005, 10:22 PM   #2
marcus330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6spd

<<1) Is it pretty likely that SG cars will suffer from swirl marks? I mean this color is really dark. Much darker than it looks in photos, than I had anticipated, or would have liked.>>

Yes...it will be almost as deadly as black for dirt/swirls.

<<2) For the above reason I'm leaning towards choosing between TiAg and Arctic. But Arctic is driving me nuts! Its the craziest color I've ever seen on a production car. This car goes from light blue to light green to light gray and every shade in between on a whim! Sometimes it just looks really beautiful to me while some of the hues I could really do without, especially the greenish ones.

So any verdict from owners on which shade it looks like *most* of the time? I ask since each photo we see taken is in distinct lighting but not necessarily lighting encountered regularly (e.g. car shows or dealer showrooms).>>

Arctic is like a mood ring. It's mysterious and elusive. It's the Johnny Depp of colors but it doesn't belong on a car let alone our beloved BMW. It betrays the metal under the surface exuding a plastic patina. It's like a holographic slime that won't buff out. Get Silver: a color that knows what it is.

<<3) So clearly the coolest combo of colors if I get TiAg is Black/Aluminum inside. That said, what would be the best interior combo on an Arctic car?>>

If you still insist on Arctic and I wish you wouldn't.....get the same interior: Black/Aluminum. Wood is for your Grandma's dining set.

<<4) Is leather really going to require that much maintenance to keep in decent shape? What is reasonable maintenance care for leather in a BMW?>>

After 3 years my last car looked almost perfect (black leather) and I think I did one leather treament and it was a weak effort at that. Go for it. I think beige and grey will require more care...esp. biege (yuk...who wants biege?)

Realtor Mobile: 6spd / Sport / Prem / Navi / ED 3-30-06
73 3.0s/84 528e/90 525i/97 M3 4dr/99 M3 Conv/2001 330i/2004 545i ED/2006 330i ED June 05
You're in control...is there anywhere you want to go ? -------------------------

Last edited by marcus330i; 05-06-2005 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #3
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
Hey guys,

You all are like my E90 family now. I've been reading and thinking and looking at this car for quite a few weeks, mostly here on these boards. Tomorrow I'm supposed to make the final call on the colors I want so that I can finally place my order.

I am going to a dealer to check out these things in person *once again* (and to finally see gray leather in person on the E90) but I'd like to feel out your opinions on it as well.

1) Is it pretty likely that SG cars will suffer from swirl marks? I mean this color is really dark. Much darker than it looks in photos, than I had anticipated, or would have liked.

2) For the above reason I'm leaning towards choosing between TiAg and Arctic. But Arctic is driving me nuts! Its the craziest color I've ever seen on a production car. This car goes from light blue to light green to light gray and every shade in between on a whim! Sometimes it just looks really beautiful to me while some of the hues I could really do without, especially the greenish ones.

So any verdict from owners on which shade it looks like *most* of the time? I ask since each photo we see taken is in distinct lighting but not necessarily lighting encountered regularly (e.g. car shows or dealer showrooms).

3) So clearly the coolest combo of colors if I get TiAg is Black/Aluminum inside. That said, what would be the best interior combo on an Arctic car?

4) Is leather really going to require that much maintenance to keep in decent shape? What is reasonable maintenance care for leather in a BMW?

Wow, lots of questions. Its a big committment and thanks for everyone's contributions to the board. Its awesome. I guess I better post what I'm ordering to since everyone's always curious.

I'm gonna order a 330i, Premium, Sport, Cold, Step, Sat Prep.

Thanks for your answers ahead of time.

I agree with everything marcus said, EXCEPT that I don't believe that wood trim is only for furniture construction. The classiest of cars have wood trim: Bentleys, Rolls Royces, Maybachs, etc. Yes, BMWs are sporty & Aluminum looks excellent, but on a car like the E90, it certainly doesn't look out of place. And Poplar looks great with a black interior because it brightens it up.

Just my $.02.....
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2005, 10:53 PM   #4
marcus330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6spd

I'll send you some furniture polish on your birthday.

Realtor Mobile: 6spd / Sport / Prem / Navi / ED 3-30-06
73 3.0s/84 528e/90 525i/97 M3 4dr/99 M3 Conv/2001 330i/2004 545i ED/2006 330i ED June 05
You're in control...is there anywhere you want to go ? -------------------------
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2005, 02:42 AM   #5
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '04/E53/X5/3.0/PP

I agree with BOTH these very insightful opinions, (especially not gettig the Arc exterior ), but I DONT know what the hell a swirl mark is...I USED to, but like I said in another thread, swirl marks are things you get at a car wash "fundraiser" sponsored by a high school cheerleading team.

The answer : ZAINO = NO SWIRL MARKS...I have (oh yeah, had since it was sold last week) 3 coats of the stuff on my BLACK E46, and I have still (yet) to this day see any car with as clear and pure a finish with NO swirl marks whatsoever ( You apply in stright lines anyway, not circles!!)

Not only that, but I live in England, where mud, rain and road debris is a way of life, and I washed my car twice a month...Half the stuff just ran right off of it...DO not let maintenance be a factor when choosing the color of your car....Also, with leather, if you get the 10 dollar BMW OEM cleaner/conditioner, there is absolutely nothing to worry about there either...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2005, 04:00 AM   #6
Steward Luk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i Auto, Arctic

But .... did anybody really see the production version of Arctic?
I saw it and compared it with SG and Tiag .... may be quite subjective, I like Arctic the most.
I owned E36 and E46 B4, they are all Tiag, since I like this color...but I don't like the E90 in Tiag, just feel a little bit strange, which I don't know how to describe.
I also owned a Golf III with a color close to SG, a lot of brown/voilet, beautiful, but not new...BMW tried to make the SG as metallic grey (just like Audi's Douplin Grey), however it's very difficult to repeat the color as what the adv/showroom shows....quite disappointed....
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2005, 04:35 AM   #7
a3ndy
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 330i SE

Garage List
2006 330i SE  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus545i
<<1) Is it pretty likely that SG cars will suffer from swirl marks? I mean this color is really dark. Much darker than it looks in photos, than I had anticipated, or would have liked.>>

Yes...it will be almost as deadly as black for dirt/swirls.

<<2) For the above reason I'm leaning towards choosing between TiAg and Arctic. But Arctic is driving me nuts! Its the craziest color I've ever seen on a production car. This car goes from light blue to light green to light gray and every shade in between on a whim! Sometimes it just looks really beautiful to me while some of the hues I could really do without, especially the greenish ones.

So any verdict from owners on which shade it looks like *most* of the time? I ask since each photo we see taken is in distinct lighting but not necessarily lighting encountered regularly (e.g. car shows or dealer showrooms).>>

Arctic is like a mood ring. It's mysterious and elusive. It's the Johnny Depp of colors but it doesn't belong on a car let alone our beloved BMW. It betrays the metal under the surface exuding a plastic patina. It's like a holographic slime that won't buff out. Get Silver: a color that knows what it is.

<<3) So clearly the coolest combo of colors if I get TiAg is Black/Aluminum inside. That said, what would be the best interior combo on an Arctic car?>>

If you still insist on Arctic and I wish you wouldn't.....get the same interior: Black/Aluminum. Wood is for your Grandma's dining set.

<<4) Is leather really going to require that much maintenance to keep in decent shape? What is reasonable maintenance care for leather in a BMW?>>

After 3 years my last car looked almost perfect (black leather) and I think I did one leather treament and it was a weak effort at that. Go for it. I think beige and grey will require more care...esp. biege (yuk...who wants biege?)
Ditto. Good luck Armen52
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2005, 09:18 PM   #8
Armen52
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Hey guys,

Thanks for all of your great input. So I spend a considerable amount of time checking out the car again today at another dealer. After much deliberation I've decided to go with Arctic. Its a very unique color. I like that it is a light color because, as has been said elsewhere, the lines of the car (which are quite striking) are more visible.

I am still stuck deciding between interiors. Trying to decide between:

Gray/Walnut - makes the interior feel much roomier and I dunno, "open"
Black/Aluminum - looks great but feels more cramped and I've already driven a car for four years with a dark gray/charcoal interior.

Oh well tonight's the night I gotta make the call. Tomorrow I put a deposit down. I'm open to your input still as always.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2005, 09:32 PM   #9
Nathan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 3.0

go with Black Leather, Aluminum trim, just my opinion. That is what i got in mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2005, 09:53 PM   #10
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic

Armen, since you're getting the Arctic color, I think the car as a whole will look better matched with black/aluminum. Just my 2cents
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2005, 09:58 PM   #11
kchika
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Evo, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps
Armen, since you're getting the Arctic color, I think the car as a whole will look better matched with black/aluminum. Just my 2cents
Werd.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2005, 10:17 PM   #12
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
Hey guys,

Thanks for all of your great input. So I spend a considerable amount of time checking out the car again today at another dealer. After much deliberation I've decided to go with Arctic. Its a very unique color. I like that it is a light color because, as has been said elsewhere, the lines of the car (which are quite striking) are more visible.

I am still stuck deciding between interiors. Trying to decide between:

Gray/Walnut - makes the interior feel much roomier and I dunno, "open"
Black/Aluminum - looks great but feels more cramped and I've already driven a car for four years with a dark gray/charcoal interior.

Oh well tonight's the night I gotta make the call. Tomorrow I put a deposit down. I'm open to your input still as always.

That's one of the two problems I have with Arctic: Your interior does not change colors.

Secondly, if you are an easily unsettled person (like myself), this color is going to literally drive you crazy from day to day. Other than that, it looks cool in the still shots. Today at the Open-Road BMW dealership in NJ I could not tell the difference between an Arctic E90 and a Silver-Grey E46 standing next to it.

I think this was yet another bold move by BMW to offer this type of color.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2005, 10:20 PM   #13
ziv
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i, SG, Sport

Hei, my fellow bay area neighbor,

My 2 cents (yet another opinion) :-) First, take a look at my photos from this past Monday ED pickup -- http://ziv.tzo.com/e90

I personally didn't like bright colors. BUT, the TiAG is the most popular color, for ALL cars :-) Silver will always be popular. It's the best on dirt, scratches, swirl marks, it stays classy, etc... There is a reason why everyone likes it :-) I didn't because it's way too popular and I also don't like bright colors, but that's the truth. It's a great color. I went with the SG, black 'ette and Poplar wood. I love that combo. I don't like grey leather or 'ette, in any BMW, and I prefer the dark or black 'ette over beige. In terms of Poplar vs. the darker wood -- it looks great with black, and the guys above are right -- it brightens up the car. Also, in terms of swirl marks, I also agree that a good wax (polymer based) will avoid swirls...

In terms of pkgs, I think the sports is a must. The car rides amazingly with it. I have no idea how it rides w/o it. I don't think the prem pkg is worth it. The only thing that is great in it is the self dimming rear view mirror. But I hope I could get that aftermarket. I used to have it, and it's a great feature.

If you combine the sports + color, you should be below $34K if you do ED.

ciao ---

Ziv.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2005, 12:17 AM   #14
psyran
Private
Rep
Drives: 330 e90 in June

good choice!

Armen,
I am glad you have not allowed the seemingly negative feedback re: Arctic sway your opinion and decision. If you like a color, go for it. I also have ordered Arctic, despite some early hesitation and having to filter the negativity re: the color and make the decision on my own. I think you will be happy with your decision (as I hope I will be in about three weeks when I finally get the car).
psyran
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2005, 12:44 AM   #15
Armen52
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
All the negativity and hesitation went out the window when I finally saw the car in Arctic in person today. Its just fantastic. For me its the ideal color on the car.

I'm also thinking I am going to go with the Gray/Walnut interior. The black/aluminum is nice but I just can't stand being surrounded by that much black. I've already done it for four years and I think I'm tired of it. This just keeps my car on a whole "light" motif.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2005, 01:02 AM   #16
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
If you're choosing between Black/Aluminum or Grey/Walnut... I would prefer the Grey/Walnut, my 2cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2005, 08:21 AM   #17
Steward Luk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i Auto, Arctic

If you feel the black/Alu borring, try Grey/Alu... and choose alu trim for your steering also.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2005, 02:16 PM   #18
Armen52
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Hey Steward, so aluminum trim on the steering wheel isn't available in the U.S. as far as I know. Thanks for the suggestion but after seeing the gray/alu I just didn't think it had enough contrast to look good. The aluminum really stands out against the black which makes it cool.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2005, 09:29 PM   #19
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic

Armen, so which combo did you finally decide on?? Are you ordering tomorrow?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2005, 10:06 PM   #20
Armen52
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps
Armen, so which combo did you finally decide on?? Are you ordering tomorrow?
I've decided on Arctic/Gray/Walnut for my car. I think its beautiful and I can't wait.

I am waiting to hear back from a dealer on a possible offer otherwise I have another good one on standby. If all goes well I should be placing the order tomorrow. When I do I'll update in the "Ordered" thread (finally).

Then the long long wait to post in the "Delivered" thread will begin. I'm jealous that I can't pick up my car until July while everyone else is out enjoying theirs
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2005, 08:00 AM   #21
sleetdmdmd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 530 xi

July 1 ED

Hey Marcus 330i

I will be in Munich on July 1 for delivery of 530xi. Have you done ED for the 545 in the past.?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2005, 10:40 AM   #22
Wildcat Jon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

sleetdmd, you're the bomb - getting a 530xi on ED. YOU are my hero! Wish I was related to ya.
Appreciate 0